Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2! - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
masterolive is on a distinguished road
Red face Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Hello everyone.
I would like to tell everyone that the second episode of our web series is out.
Tape Two covers the crew as they set sail for the first time on aleph tav. (and the first sail in life for some)

youtube.com/watch?v=ezpzxUJNdcQ&feature=youtu.be

If you are just reading this and have never seen the first tape, or heard about the series,
you can visit the first thread I made that is still in the "new users" topic section.

Or simply watch the video on our channel.

I know that new timers and "old salts" will have much to say about some things within the next episodes to come...
So I appreciate ANYTHING you have to say, weather it be criticism, scrutiny, laughter or encouragement.
I aim to make an example of our crew and journey through these videos.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the latest episode and the following ones to come.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 06-28-2013
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,827
Thanks: 47
Thanked 128 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

I'm not exactly sure what the point is. Without some context about the kids, the background of the boat, who the captain is and why you are all there (in the video, not in a forum message), it's just a bunch of people on a boat doing what people do on a boat.

What is the goal of these videos? If it is just a home movie, you nailed it.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 06-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
masterolive is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm not exactly sure what the point is. Without some context about the kids, the background of the boat, who the captain is and why you are all there (in the video, not in a forum message), it's just a bunch of people on a boat doing what people do on a boat.

What is the goal of these videos? If it is just a home movie, you nailed it.
In the video description of the first episode (that also is shown on the current video) says the following:

- A day by day series documenting a captain who takes his first time crew out to sea with his new sailboat, on a mission to return "Aleph Tav"(the boat) from Maryland to Rhode Island before hurricane sandy hits the east coast.

It can be considered a home video, but my personal goal is to share our journey with other sailors, and to make an example of ourselves and our trip for people who are interested in learning how to sail.

If you stick with the seres, you will eventually see all of the mistakes we made, and how we had to force ourselves to deal with situations with no easy way out.
It is because of those experiences that I want to share this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 06-28-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
Move over Joan Rivers!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,066
Thanks: 51
Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 9
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

I have to agree with Donna. The first vid should of been about, when, and how this all started. From watching BOTH vids.. it's pretty clear there are problems. Gawd, hope you all arrive safely to your destination.
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 06-28-2013
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,827
Thanks: 47
Thanked 128 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterolive View Post
In the video description of the first episode (that also is shown on the current video) says the following:

- A day by day series documenting a captain who takes his first time crew out to sea with his new sailboat, on a mission to return "Aleph Tav"(the boat) from Maryland to Rhode Island before hurricane sandy hits the east coast.

It can be considered a home video, but my personal goal is to share our journey with other sailors, and to make an example of ourselves and our trip for people who are interested in learning how to sail.

If you stick with the seres, you will eventually see all of the mistakes we made, and how we had to force ourselves to deal with situations with no easy way out.
It is because of those experiences that I want to share this.
OK. I get that from what you say here. Someone discovering the second video isn't going to make it through the first 12 seconds without some context. You really need some narration and backstory in order to at least tease someone into going back to the beginning. There's just not much compelling going on.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 06-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
masterolive is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

I understand.
Its tough because most of my audience is family and friends, so from the production side, I gotta figure out the best way to keep things simple but interesting, and always moving.

Because of the quality and effort it took me to shoot everything and put it together, I decided to go public, so I'm hoping the majority of users will be able to make sense of it from start to finish, even though it was mostly intended for people who already know the background story.

Also, I was not sure if I should have posted In the new users section.
I wonder if it would have been better to start off posting in this section.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 06-28-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
Move over Joan Rivers!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,066
Thanks: 51
Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 9
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

I have to say the whole thing looks poorly planned and thought out with lots testo driven drivil and misdirection. Was/is the whole trip like that? It just "looks" like trouble can happen any moment. What was the situation when you were diving on the prop? Did the navigator chart the trip?
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 06-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
masterolive is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I have to say the whole thing looks poorly planned and thought out with lots testo driven drivil and misdirection. Was/is the whole trip like that? It just "looks" like trouble can happen any moment. What was the situation when you were diving on the prop? Did the navigator chart the trip?
Yes, the trip was planned a week before hurricane sandy, (which we did not know) so to say it was poorly planed is correct lol.
Many of the kids have an attitude that would make you think this way,
but whats most important to understand is that NONE OF US had ever gone sailing before, except for the captain and the 1st officer.

Its hard to fit a whole day into 7 mins, so I try my best to show the main situations without dragging things on for too long.
But to answer your question, There was nothing wrong with the prop.

In the next episode, you will eventually learn that the transmission was slipping, and also leaking.
Overall, I assure you: stick with the rest of the series and you will see change in our attitudes as we learn more about sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 06-28-2013
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,827
Thanks: 47
Thanked 128 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterolive View Post
...
Because of the quality and effort it took me to shoot everything and put it together, I decided to go public, so I'm hoping the majority of users will be able to make sense of it from start to finish, even though it was mostly intended for people who already know the background story.
...
I'm not a film expert by any means, but I know how to tell a story and I think probably you should choose your audience. Family and friends who know the backstory and total strangers with no information are a pretty different animal.

Also, if you're putting it on youtube in segments, there's the possibility that someone will stumble across an episode other than the first one and that will be their introduction to the series. If that's the case, there should be a reason that I find it interesting enough to go to the first episode and see what's going on.

I would want to see a strong story. Something with suspense because in reality, not all that much goes on on a sailboat in between the exciting bits.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 06-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
masterolive is on a distinguished road
Re: Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Episode 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm not a film expert by any means, but I know how to tell a story and I think probably you should choose your audience. Family and friends who know the backstory and total strangers with no information are a pretty different animal.

Also, if you're putting it on youtube in segments, there's the possibility that someone will stumble across an episode other than the first one and that will be their introduction to the series. If that's the case, there should be a reason that I find it interesting enough to go to the first episode and see what's going on.

I would want to see a strong story. Something with suspense because in reality, not all that much goes on on a sailboat in between the exciting bits.
Thank you for the advice.
I have posted on a few other forums and social sites like facebook and reddit. There have been "mixed" opinions, some like it, some cant stand it, others feel concerned, and some think its just hilarious.

I appreciate any feedback, but I do not want to cause any issues.
I plan on maintaining all of the discussion forums I branched out to until the end of the series, but if you feel that continuing to update the videos on this board will cause any trouble I will stop.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel School 101- Episode 1 Stillraining General Discussion (sailing related) 13 02-06-2010 10:30 PM
Neighbour from Hell, last episode. Giulietta General Discussion (sailing related) 78 10-20-2009 09:46 PM
episode 8 xmas- not to bad Dihydro77 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 12-29-2007 03:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.