Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Bought the boat! Location questions NJ/MD/NY

On one of our first boats we moved to about 1 1/2 hours away, and found that to be a real pain for daysailing. We were at a mooring, and when we added 3 hours travel to 30 minutes dinghy to 45 minutes setting up the boat and cleanup, it meant that we were away from home for 4 hours plus without any sailing! Your boat is good size, so if you are weekending or more, it is much less of an issue. If the latter, I would tend towards one of the places on the Western LI Sound. Depending on how far south in NJ, I would aim for a place easily reached from 287 and the Tappan Zee, rather than the Cross Bronx, which is a traffic nightmare. Good spots with lots of NJ owners range from Mamaroneck, Rye up to Greenwich and Stamford. Of course the Chesapeake is great sailing, depending on the trip, though the summer can be brutal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2013

rocdoc22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bought the boat! Location questions NJ/MD/NY

Thanks all. We do have a slip at Riverside until we are ready to move her. So no rush getting out of there. I like the idea of a little time on the Chesapeake and then moving her up to the LIS. We used to live in Gotham so the thought of bridge and tunnels doesn't scare me - just annoys me. All good ideas, but I'm leaning towards the Chesapeake in the fall, (daughter going to College in DC- although she has firmly stated she HATES boats), and then reconsidering the Highlands in the spring or maybe up to LIS.

BTW: I appreciate all the help and input from the Members....and I will have tons of technical questions in the future.
Old 06-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

LIS is very nice. Lots of different opportunities, if you have the time and money.
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

After reading through threads like this, I am convinced you north easteners are serious about sailing. What you have to go through just to get to your boat which is floating in cold, kinda dirty water un-swimable water, with the sailing "Season" which is a concept I've never quite grasped. I compliment you all on your dedication. I take for granted having my boat close and ready, floatin in clear warm water. I don't know that I would go through all the motions you guy's endure. Oh, and congrats on Jeuneu, I guess if I had a boat that nice waiting for me two hours a way I would make the effort, to get down to her on the weekends.
jimgo and cthoops like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdoc22 View Post
Thanks all. We do have a slip at Riverside until we are ready to move her. So no rush getting out of there. I like the idea of a little time on the Chesapeake and then moving her up to the LIS. We used to live in Gotham so the thought of bridge and tunnels doesn't scare me - just annoys me. All good ideas, but I'm leaning towards the Chesapeake in the fall, (daughter going to College in DC- although she has firmly stated she HATES boats), and then reconsidering the Highlands in the spring or maybe up to LIS.

BTW: I appreciate all the help and input from the Members....and I will have tons of technical questions in the future.
I live nearby Doc, Not that I'm a teacher or anything but I know my way around sailboats may be able to help you out a little. Did Don sell you the boat? Great guy and broker.

Enjoy,

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Aaron , isn't your boat 700 miles away right now?

Still, your pint is well taken.

My boat is a mile from my house. Water is pretty disgusting,and it gets cold here, I'll grant you.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-29-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Aaron , isn't your boat 700 miles away right now?

Still, your pint is well taken.

My boat is a mile from my house. Water is pretty disgusting,and it gets cold here, I'll grant you.
700 miles from work, When I'm at work, I'm at sea. That's only 2 weeks out of the month. ti'll I go home. When I'm home, it's anchored in front of my house. Even then I can be too lazy to go out to her some times. And when I do, I can opt to swim out to her as she is very close to my dock and sitting in crystal clear 80 degree water. If I had to drive two hours across 2 city's and wait for high tide to motor an hour down a river to a brown bay, I don't think I would do it. Again, the dedication to the boat and sailing astounds me. Hat's off.
Old 06-29-2013

rocdoc22 is on a distinguished road

Aaron - I'm totally jealous...

Denise- Thanks , we should talk more. Got the boat from Glenn Winter at Riverside. Nice guy.
Old 06-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Yeah, thats a sweet setup. You've convinced me that the real Florida, the one worth going for , is the sailing. I've sailed and snorkeled in the Keys.

Here I'm on at the base of a small mountain, with my sailboat on the Hudson a mile East of me. The train into NYC I can walk to, or I can hike from my house 1000 feet up and overlook the whole valley.. The Catskill mountains are sweet, and difficult to leave, if you were born among them. The river towns and those old seaports and islands along the coast have wonderful character.

Still, I guess I'd trade ya.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdoc22 View Post
Aaron - I'm totally jealous...

Denise- Thanks , we should talk more. Got the boat from Glenn Winter at Riverside. Nice guy.
It's as easy as sailing south. Have you thought of keeping the Boat down here some where. Everybody has a different situation. But a commitment like buying such a serious boat as a Jeuneu something footer, leads me to belive you are serious about using her. Think about the cost of the winter storage, the, the travel time and all that. If you put it in the La Ceiba ship yard. for 150 bucks a month, you could fly down once a month for a weekend and on Vacation in the winter. It sounds crazy till you do it. If you have to drive 2 hours each way and an hour or two motoring to a sailing spot, plus set up and every thing that entails. I fly back and forth from Miami every 2 weeks for 400 bucks, 2 hour flight. It probably in the end comes out to the same amount of money and more time sailing in Paradise at the end of the year for you. it just sounds crazy.People do it. I do it.
Sal Paradise likes this.