Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Bought the boat! Location questions NJ/MD/NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Yeah, thats a sweet setup. You've convinced me that the real Florida, the one worth going for , is the sailing. I've sailed and snorkeled in the Keys.

Here I'm on at the base of a small mountain, with my sailboat on the Hudson a mile East of me. The train into NYC I can walk to, or I can hike from my house 1000 feet up and overlook the whole valley.. The Catskill mountains are sweet, and difficult to leave, if you were born among them. The river towns and those old seaports and islands along the coast have wonderful character.

Still, I guess I'd trade ya.
A large part of my childhood, through high school was spent in the White mountains of N.H. I miss it, My Mom still lives up there, Nice to visit, would not want to live there. Our house in Guanaja is at the Base of a mountain with a waterfall on it and coral reef out front. I make a modest income and my wife is a waitress. We manage to make it happen. it's all about choices and taking the right steps in the right direction. We will spend less and less time in Key West, which is our other home base. Water is too cold in the winter and a little murky for us now that we are spoiled. Plus, we like looking for conch, which is illegal to harvest in Key West. Sorry for thread drift, My whloe point is why not look to the south for a permanent boat storage since you have too spend all day getting to and from the boat anyway's. I consider the money I spend on plane tickets as cost of living, and the money I save on storage makes up for what I spend.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your purchase! Are you planning on weekending aboard most of the time? I live northwest of Philly, and my (broken down) boat is in Rock Hall. The traffic to get there most weekends has been minimal so far this season, but it's almost 2.5 hours each way for me. That means, if I were to keep it here, daysails would be rough because I lose 5 hours out of my day just getting to/from Rock Hall. Overnighting would make it better, but so far I can't convince my wife to try that.

Rock Hall/Galena is also on the wrong side of the Bay for you if you're going to visit your daughter in DC. To get to DC from RH, you have to head south, then west for a fair bit. Others can give you a more accurate number, but I'd bet it's at least an hour and a half away, and that's with minimal traffic. I also wouldn't use your daughter as the reason to keep the boat there, though (I say that with all due respect...this is purely my opinion, and you are, of course, welcome to discount it). If she's starting college, she's going off to learn to be an adult. Having you stopping in all the time will put a damper on that, and that may not be good for her in the long run. Besides, she'll be out with friends many/most weekends, and not with you guys. Personally, I'd be looking to keep the boat closer to home so you aren't traveling as much.

The beauty of where you live is that you have at least 3 interesting choices. The Delaware has its issues, but if its closest to home, that can be a big mark in its favor. Denise, TakeFive, Ulladh, and a few of the others here can give you more info on sailing there. Then there is Barnegat Bay. If your draft is "only" 5', from what I saw on the pre-Sandy charts, you should have decent depth through most of the bay. That makes it a great place to spend a season as you get familiar with the boat. Again, depending on where you are, locations like Toms River or Forked River can be fairly easy to get to. Personally, though, if I lived in your area I'd probably look at being up near the Highlands. You'd be able to easily cruise over to LIS if you wanted to, and even the Sandy Hook area looks like it would make a nice place to go "play." That is too far north for me (in-laws have a place at the other end of the state), but I can really see why that would be attractive.

Anyway...you've had SEVERAL hours now since Denise's initial reply. Where are the pictures!?!!??!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
A large part of my childhood, through high school was spent in the White mountains of N.H. I miss it, My Mom still lives up there, Nice to visit, would not want to live there. Our house in Guanaja is at the Base of a mountain with a waterfall on it and coral reef out front. I make a modest income and my wife is a waitress. We manage to make it happen. it's all about choices and taking the right steps in the right direction. We will spend less and less time in Key West, which is our other home base. Water is too cold in the winter and a little murky for us now that we are spoiled. Plus, we like looking for conch, which is illegal to harvest in Key West. Sorry for thread drift, My whloe point is why not look to the south for a permanent boat storage since you have too spend all day getting to and from the boat anyway's. I consider the money I spend on plane tickets as cost of living, and the money I save on storage makes up for what I spend.
I just checked travelocity.

Incredibly - round trip flights on American from NY to Coxen Hole are only $595 - round trip! Very affordable. Sorry Roc for the sidebar. That is a heck of a boat ya got, and she deserves good water.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I just checked travelocity.

Incredibly - round trip flights on American from NY to Coxen Hole are only $595 - round trip! Very affordable. Sorry Roc for the sidebar. That is a heck of a boat ya got, and she deserves good water.
That's what I'm say'n. Look, I know it sounds silly to leave the boat in Central America and live in N.J. I get that. But sit around a table with a bunch of us who do leave our boats there and work in the states. I made a small fortune ( not realy) delivering boats to the Rio Dulce in the late 90's early 2000's. It sounds 10 times more rediculous to us to put our boat north of the tropic of Cancer, in brown cold water, up an un sailable river, with a 5 month sailing season. Every body has a different situation and I guess alot of people like cruising the North east in the summer and reading about sailng all winter. It just makes little sense to me financialy and or as a guy who wants to sail to and swim and enjoy my boat. $595 to coxen hole. But the Marinas are expensive On Roatan. It's $400 to San Pedro, a $15 bus ride to La Ceiba, and 200 bucks a month at La Ceiba ship yard. Which is a short mornig sail to Cayos Cocinos....google that place and tell me agian how charming the Chessy is.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
It's $400 to San Pedro, a $15 bus ride to La Ceiba, and 200 bucks a month at La Ceiba ship yard. Which is a short mornig sail to Cayos Cocinos....google that place and tell me agian how charming the Chessy is.
Uh oh. I better go for a run to clear my head. Capt. Aaron's logic is starting to make waaaay too much sense. And some inner voice tells me that I'd better NOT google Cayos Cocinos. Some things it's best not to know....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Uh oh. I better go for a run to clear my head. Capt. Aaron's logic is starting to make waaaay too much sense. And some inner voice tells me that I'd better NOT google Cayos Cocinos. Some things it's best not to know....
No No, Google it. And then look at a picture of the church steeple sticking out of the Autum leaves in the quaint Maryland seaside village. That charm wares out on me by noon. That's just me.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-30-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Then picture going through TSA and customs. Twice.

Nice dream. No thanks as a routine. I do like going down south to charter over the winter. Putting the boat on the hard for 5 months here is good to dry her out and get some annual refit done. Although, I do wish for a bit shorter winter.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Then picture going through TSA and customs. Twice.

Nice dream. No thanks as a routine. I do like going down south to charter over the winter. Putting the boat on the hard for 5 months here is good to dry her out and get some annual refit done. Although, I do wish for a bit shorter winter.
Yup, for a few decades I've been running boats south (to Florida, primarily) for the winter for clients who anticipated using them in such a fashion... Even given the relative ease of travel from airports like EWR to FLL, I'm hard-pressed to recall a single one who managed to get anywhere close to the amount of sailing/boating that they originally anticipated, or hoped for...

Of course, for folks for whom $ is no object, such a routine of moving the boat north and south with each season is still worth it... But as an alternative to keeping your boat within driving distance of your home, and using it as much as possible during the sailing season in local waters, there's no comparison, in my view...

And, as beautiful as the Cayos Cochinos might be, there is this minor detail...

Quote:

Gang violence, catalysed by drug trafficking, and weak law enforcement have given Honduras the highest murder rate in the world...

...Honduras’s wild coast and empty jungle provide landing points for some 40% of cocaine destined for the United States.

Central America: Out of control | The Economist
I know Capt Aaron knows the region very well, and obviously feels comfortable there, but I can think of a few places I'd rather use as a base for my cruising, ones that don't require any serious consideration of whether or not a firearm might be a 'must-have' item of cruising gear... (grin) Glad I cruised there when I did, but I won't be going back...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yup, for a few decades I've been running boats south (to Florida, primarily) for the winter for clients who anticipated using them in such a fashion... Even given the relative ease of travel from airports like EWR to FLL, I'm hard-pressed to recall a single one who managed to get anywhere close to the amount of sailing/boating that they originally anticipated, or hoped for...

Of course, for folks for whom $ is no object, such a routine of moving the boat north and south with each season is still worth it... But as an alternative to keeping your boat within driving distance of your home, and using it as much as possible during the sailing season in local waters, there's no comparison, in my view...

And, as beautiful as the Cayos Cochinos might be, there is this minor detail..

I know Capt Aaron knows the region very well, and obviously feels comfortable there, but I can think of a few places I'd rather use as a base for my cruising, ones that don't require any serious consideration of whether or not a firearm might be a 'must-have' item of cruising gear... (grin) Glad I cruised there when I did, but I won't be going back...
Not gunna start the Fire Arm thing. There are 10 degrees of self defense before the trusty dusty rusty has to come out.
Old 06-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Any way's some how my last post ended up on Joe's Quote. I deleted it.
Listen, It's not for every one. I bet for every 100 sailors on the Chessy, one will make to Honduras. Mostly I see Europeans passing through. As Joe is glad he went and won't be back. I'm gald I'm there and probably won't be back up here with the boat. I can't think of why. But if Traveling bothers you and you have no wander lust or desire to sail in a real paradisial setting, than it's def. not for you. I was sailing last week around a Caribbean Island with my girl and few freinds, listening to some tunes and knocking back a few beers, and this thursday, I will right back there doing it again. I fail to see the down side. That's just me.