SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   My own mooring on L.I. Sound? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100913-my-own-mooring-l-i-sound.html)

GilligansIsle 06-29-2013 09:11 AM

My own mooring on L.I. Sound?

Hi

I'm new to the north shore of Long Island. (Suffolk County). Waterfront.
Though I have two harbors nearby (Port Jeff and Mt. Sinai) what's the rules about having a mooring in the Sound off my property? It would be a lot more convenient and cheaper, right?

blutoyz 06-29-2013 09:27 AM

Re: My own mooring on L.I. Sound?

You first have to track down the Harbormaster to get the ball rolling. I will cost an initial $1000 - $1500 so it will be cheaper but more convenient is a matter of opinion.
I have my dinghy right behind my house and my mooring a couple hundred yards away. I may get a slip next year to make it more "convenient" for wife, dogs, friends, etc...

GilligansIsle 06-29-2013 09:54 AM

Thx blutoyz...

I'll look into that. i wasn't sure individual moorings were permitted in the sound. Thought we were restricted to harbors or mooring fields.

CalebD 06-29-2013 10:21 AM

The problem with putting a mooring in the LI Sound (proper) versus one of it's protected harbors or bays is that one day this summer we will have a tropical storm or even hurricane pass by. In an event like that the Sound can become quite rough and dangerous - which is why you don't see any moorings in the Sound.

Having said that, if you set up a 2nd mooring on the Sound to use in fair weather with a primary mooring in one of the harbors you would be ok. I'm just not sure who or where you would go to get permission to do so.
Likely there is some old salt with a work barge in Mt. Sinai who could tell you which gov't bureau you'd need to petition. He'd probably also tell you you are crazy...

I have seen what 50 knots of wind from a non-named storm can do to the surface of the Sound and it ain't pretty.

tweitz 06-29-2013 10:34 AM

My own mooring on L.I. Sound?

Aren't moorings restricted to Coast Guard designated anchorage areas? I also think any boat more than 7 meters which is anchored (or moored) outside a designated area is required to display an anchor light at night.

GilligansIsle 06-29-2013 10:36 AM

Thx CalebD...

I also thought that even "fair weather moorings" in the sound would be frowned upon since, as you point out, they are subject to storms and movement and can pose a significant hazard to boaters who wouldn't expect them to show up where they do sometimes.

Or am I being too cautious?

Sal Paradise 06-29-2013 10:51 AM

There is a dec application

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_e...tobjectapp.pdf

Then you probably should clear it with your town....... maybe. I know some will say to ask for permission, and some will say ask for forgiveness. Only you know which way floats your boat.

Good luck and I hope you get it and post back here how it went.

BarryL 06-29-2013 12:26 PM

Hey,

You definitely don't want to keep a boat of any significant size or value on a mooring in the sound (as opposed to a harbor). When we get wind from the north or east the waves can get pretty large and nasty. There are some private moorings just east of Mt. Sinai, so they definitely exist, but I have never seen boats on them full time. Two years ago I got yelled at by a homeowner because I had the nerve to anchor off 'his' beach while my kids and I went swimming and had lunch. First he yelled because I was on his mooring. I pointed out that I was anchored. Then he yelled that I was on 'his' beach. I pointed out that he didn't own the water, or the land below the high tide mark. The rest if another story.

If I were you I would pick Mt. Sinai or Port Jeff. Personally I like Mt. Sinai because it takes just 5 minutes to get from mooring to sound. For a town resident the fee is around $120. You can get mooring tackle from Old Mans or Ralph's Fishing station.

Good luck,
Barry

CalebD 06-29-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilligansIsle (Post 1051683)
Thx CalebD...

I also thought that even "fair weather moorings" in the sound would be frowned upon since, as you point out, they are subject to storms and movement and can pose a significant hazard to boaters who wouldn't expect them to show up where they do sometimes.

Or am I being too cautious?

All I think I know is that it can be done.
My sister used to live on Lloyd Neck and a neighbor (retired professional hockey player) kept a fair weather mooring for his motor boat on the Sound. He also had a safe mooring in the harbor. He also had one of the few docks that stuck out into the Sound but TS Ernesto took out the floating dock sections.
I don't know if the hockey player just payed (whomever) for the privilege or just payed the fines.
I'd follow Sal's link to NYS dec.

Or, you could just put a mooring where you want it and see what happens (but be ready to ask forgiveness & pay some fine).

smurphny 06-29-2013 02:33 PM

1. The Sound gets too rough.
2. It would probably be a hazard to other boats in a place where boats move at full speed
3. Someone would certainly steal it or the boat or both
4. Lobstermen or draggers would cut it off

Other than that, it's a good idea.:)