SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   anyone who's done the trip from long beach to catalina. feedback please (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100928-anyone-whos-done-trip-long-beach-catalina-feedback-please.html)

jeffreyosborne90 06-29-2013 10:47 PM

anyone who's done the trip from long beach to catalina. feedback please

Ok so I've been around boatd on lakes for roughly 15 years but recently bought a 28ft bayliner cabin cruiser for ocean use. I'm new to operating a boat in ocean waters and I would like to makd a trip to catalina island soon with some friends and family. I have a marine vhf radio and lifevest. I also have a liferaft. What all is needed for this trek and what things should keep in mind when doing so? Should I have a experienced boatdr who's made the trip before ride along with me first? What kind of navigation equipment should I invest in? I do know a lil about the 350 small block and am an active seatow member. Thanks all feedback will be appreciated. Heres a pic of my boathttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...09528400_o.jpg

jfurlong 06-30-2013 01:17 AM

Re: anyone who's done the trip from long beach to catalina. feedback please

Check the weather forecast.

jeffreyosborne90 06-30-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfurlong (Post 1051931)
Check the weather forecast.

Yeah I tend to check them frequently. I plan to have someone experienced come with or just pretty much follow a catalina charter vessel out

jeffreyosborne90 06-30-2013 01:20 AM

Is it a pretty calm cruise

sww914 06-30-2013 01:26 AM

That boat will be great when it's smooth. Leave really late or really early on both sides and you'll have a good trip. We have a lot of nav stuff onboard. If you have an Andriod or Apple device with a touch screen you can get iNavx or similar for not a lot of money. It's way more accurate than a lot of GPS's near shore because it triangulates off of the cell towers as well. Here in Banderas Bay my other GPS devices say that I'm either a 1/4 mile inland or about 2 miles inland. My iPad is within a foot or two.

jeffreyosborne90 06-30-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sww914 (Post 1051936)
That boat will be great when it's smooth. Leave really late or really early on both sides and you'll have a good trip. We have a lot of nav stuff onboard. If you have an Andriod or Apple device with a touch screen you can get iNavx or similar for not a lot of money. It's way more accurate than a lot of GPS's near shore because it triangulates off of the cell towers as well. Here in Banderas Bay my other GPS devices say that I'm either a 1/4 mile inland or about 2 miles inland. My iPad is within a foot or two.

Awesome thanks. Yeah I have an android. The app is good huh? And it will signal in the middle of the trip? Save me money? Should I invest in 48 nm ?

jeffreyosborne90 06-30-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sww914 (Post 1051936)

48 nm radar oops

sww914 06-30-2013 05:57 AM

I was able to get a data signal all the way between MDR & Isthmus Cove and almost all the way back down to Newport. There were a couple miles in the middle that we didn't have a signal on the second one.
I'm not going to tell you what to do about radar but we never turned ours on when we were in Southern California in the winter and spring.

CapnChuck 06-30-2013 09:17 AM

Relying on a smart phone or tablet for Primary navigation is probably a bad idea. Forget the position issues, if the thing gets wet, its toast, or the battery dies or a dozen other possibilities. Have a dedicated GPS, a chartplotter is even better and take a navigation course. The cost of a GPS today or a basic chartplotter is less than most phones or tablets. I have made that same trip many times on my 25 footer. It can be great and it can be nasty. It's an open water passage even though it's a short cruise. dense fog is often encountered, there is commercial shipping and Santa Ana winds can develop up to hurricane strength. If the weather permitted we often left about midnight on Friday and arrive at Two harbors at sun up Saturday. Then headed back to Long Beach at Noon on Sunday. But don't take the crossing lightly and consider that weather can change when you get over there and you could be delayed getting back. It's not as much of a problem in the summer as the rest of the year but the winds can kick up at any time. Chuck

tomperanteau 06-30-2013 11:48 AM

Made the trip a number of times.

As others stated, watch the weather. It is normally really calm, but we've been caught in a gale twice. If you're anchoring, check depths and adjust your spot for your ground tackle. Isthmus is deeper than Cat Harbor, and Cat Harbor is calmer. Our favorite is Little Harbor, but watch the rocks at the entrance. They are hidden at high tide. Emerald Bay is really pretty but less protection.

Sprint has no coverage in Cat Harbor, but you can roam and have (slow) data. Little Harbor has no coverage.

Favorite for beauty would be Little Harbor. Favorite for a calm and good night's sleep would be Cat. Isthmus and Cat both have good fishing.

Get there early and find a good spot to anchor. Watch for dragging, especially at Isthmus. Normally everyone is on one hook.

On the way there and back watch the shipping lanes. If it's dark, really watch. It's good to have radar in the fog, but I also use an AIS app for my android, along with a good navigation app (MX Mariner) and a navigation package on my laptop. Don't be shy about hailing big ships that are close to let them know you see them and you're going to give way to them.

And.... Have fun!