Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do I do if the anchorage is full?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
My schedule
The cause of 100% of all bad maritime decisions.
Others have given great advice- start planning your anchorage early. It's just like the Murphy's law of family road trips- You'll pass plenty of vacancy signs throughout the afternoon,but then when you really are at your limit approaching dusk and ready to pull the plug for the day, there's no room no place no how.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I can understand coming into an anchorage at dinner time. Sometimes it's so nice on the water that you want to keep sailing.

You have the advantage of a smaller boat with shallower draft than most of the sailboats out there. This will allow you to tuck into spots that other's can't. This doesn't mean that you should put yourself or the other boats at risk, of course. As an example of this I was in Provost Harbor on Stuart Island last summer and a friend on a Catalina 22 was coming in late to meet us. The harbor was quite full just inside the mouth, but he was able to slowly motor through the main part of the anchorage and get a nice peaceful spot much deeper in.
This was the anchorage:

This was his spot, far away from everyone:

The 1' shallower draft than most of the other boats and the shorter waterline (and thus a smaller arc) allowed him to tuck in a lot closer.

I think the real trick is to have a couple of anchorages in mind. In my experience on our trip to the San Juans last year the "second nicest" anchorage listed in the books is usually a lot emptier and more peaceful than the first. On that same night this is what Reid harbor (the more popular side of Stuart) looked like:
Old 06-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

If your bigger then all the others. problem solved!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My schedule is often to sail until late afternoon. Sometimes until 9 oclock.
For the benifit of my fellow forumers who cant read: The OP doesnt say his shedule is to sail till 9pm.

Its says until late afternoon.

and further... a "." away he says:
Sometimes until 9 oclock.

It seems weird to castigate him for your own lack of comprehension!

Mark
SolSailor likes this.

Old 06-30-2013

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Full!
No plenty of room. I will just squeeze in here.

With similar boats on similar scope it is surprising how close boats can anchor without a problem, but I thought this one was bit too close, especially as there was plenty of room in the anchorage.

Fenders are usually not much protection.

In a crowded anchorage I actually prefer to get in late as you can pick and choose your neighbours and dictate the space between you and the opposition. Being right because you were there first isn't really much help if there is a collision.

Lots of chain an an oversized anchor help increase the possible anchoring spots.

Another useful option is a stern tie up to shore. In most parts of the world this is little used technique, so many of the spots, in any given anchorage, where you can anchor safely like this are not occupied.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do if the anchorage is full?-image.jpg  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by noelex77; 06-30-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I don't have a schedule I have to keep, sometimes I just want to sail late, or sometimes i do stuff were im at until afternoon. Some people like to get up early and go but I don't. For some of you mornings are a time for getting everything ready and going. Well I dont drink and I can watch the sunset anywhere on the boat. I could say its more irresponsible for you to be drinking on your boat. What kind of anchor watch is that? In reality I don't care if you drink but I'm just saying. It's worse than sailing late. This is not an an RV. If someone wants to get going at 6 o'clock when its still cold and there's guaranteed no wind so they don't have to take the sail cover off that day that's fine. I get the best sailing conditions when the land heats up and convection winds start. Some days that's the only wind available.

I have a big anchor. That's a help. Someone was telling me to help me run low scope in deep anchorages I can drop a kellet to keep the angle better.

I also realized when thinking about my lack of a stern line that I can use the line from my cockpit anchor. Duh.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 06-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm about into some small anchorages in the peak season. My schedule is often to sail until late afternoon. Sometimes until 9 oclock. What do you do if you get there and it's full? I'm not sure what answer you can give me because I'm only able to think of two things. Sail all night or anchor close and throw out some fenders and hope.

I would probably keep going all night. I hope this isn't a situation I run into, but I'd like some ideas in case it does.
There's often space in a crowded anchorage, especially if you have shallow draft or a smallish boat(both, even better). Take some time and motor, slowly, through.

Most people on the water are nice folks and understand what you're trying to do. Some people may help and offer some options you can't see from your helm. I'll do that especially if I can see a safe option next to mine for another boat.

Don't be afraid to drop the hook in a potential spot and check it out. Be ready to raise anchor(you should be able to any time) and re-set a few yards away or abandon the spot all together if you find you're too close for comfort. It happens all the time.

Ultimately, you're responsible for any damage to nearby previously anchored boats but don't become too afraid to try a spot. A few people are very territorial when it comes to anchoring near their boat. But again, you take the responsibility if you bump their boat, and you should be allowed to make the decision as to what is a safe distance.

If someone gets huffy about your crowding their space, ignore them as you lay out your anchor and rode(that's what I do), until you try the spot out.

Where to anchor is your decision in an anchorage, not theirs.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 06-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I don't have a schedule I have to keep, sometimes I just want to sail late, or sometimes i do stuff were im at until afternoon. Some people like to get up early and go but I don't. For some of you mornings are a time for getting everything ready and going. Well I dont drink and I can watch the sunset anywhere on the boat. I could say its more irresponsible for you to be drinking on your boat. What kind of anchor watch is that? In reality I don't care if you drink but I'm just saying. It's worse than sailing late. This is not an an RV. If someone wants to get going at 6 o'clock when its still cold and there's guaranteed no wind so they don't have to take the sail cover off that day that's fine. I get the best sailing conditions when the land heats up and convection winds start. Some days that's the only wind available.
Take the following advice in the friendly, helpful spirit in which it is intended.

You ask lots of great questions.
You get lots of great answers.
Check your insulting attitude toward those who make the effort to provide those great answers.

YOU asked a question.
YOU used the phrase "my schedule"...
We can only work with the information provided. None of us here read minds, or know what you "meant", just what you "said."
You managed to turn simple, gentle advice to anchor earlier to avoid losing anchorage options into a teetotaling tizzy of an attack on those who provided the experienced advice you seek.

You owe some folks here an apology.

Not me. I actually AM a drunken sot who can't keep a decent anchor watch.

Old 06-30-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

You could try a VHF call to the moored boats to see if anyone is interested in "rafting up" with you and your 3 single girlfriends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaduction For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Where to anchor is your decision in an anchorage, not theirs.
If another skipper is unhappy I would always move. Very occasionally I will say something like "wait until I have finished anchoring and if you still unhappy I will move" this situation mainly arises when setting with a longer scope than you will be ultimately using.

I rarely ask other boats to move, but in a testament to good will of cruisers I have only ever had one boat that refused to move (in over 3500 nights at anchor)