Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if the anchorage is full?

You may find that by having a friendly word with some of those anchored boats late in the day, that they will offer suggestions on a close spot, or not be to uptight on having you anchor a bit closer or even say " Hey, raft up with us, come on over for a beer!",

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I was behaving, but .... the real issue is that some of them may be wearing spandex in an inappropriate manner...spandex, it is not a right but a privilege.
Not necessarily a total surprise, that someone who can afford to stay at the Wauwinet Inn, might have come to expect pretty much anything is their "right"... (grin)

Yeah, that pic could use a bit of Photoshop work, for sure...
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Jon, while a retractable keel is great in the area around you, I think that in my case where a blue water passage and cruising in southern Chile and even probably all the way out to Fiji, and French Polynesia and in some very rough waters a retractable keel or even a very shallow draft might not work. I am looking at full keel boats, not huge, but they will not be tiny either. The point is that everyone has preferences, and anchoring with what you have requires several things, number one among these is to know your vessel and your harbour of choice. If you are in Patagonia and you sail into a beautiful harbour where there are no trees you need to know that the wind may be very bad in that anchorage. If you find a place with trees in the shelter, you can be sure that it will be better than one without trees.
I don't know, Jimmy Cornell's centerboard Alubat seemed to work pretty well for him in Antarctica, and throughout the rest of his 3rd circumnavigation...

Lifting/swing keels have actually become quite popular among many of today's high-latitude voyagers, particularly the French... Modern expedition yachts don't get much more state of the art than Hamish & Kate Laird's SEAL, a swing keel & rudder from the drawing boards of Chuck Paine and Ed Joy... Check out the link, offers a pretty good rationale for such a design for venturing to the more remote regions of the world. And, given where SEAL has been so far, I think there's little doubt about the viability of a ballasted swing keel for sailing anywhere...

Expedition Sail - Sailboat Seal

If I could pick any boat, to go anywhere, one of these Boreals would likely be my current choice (I believe our fellow poster hannah2 is doing their 3rd world tour on a Boreal)

Bienvenue chez Boreal

Oh, well - maybe in the Next Life...
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, Jimmy Cornell's centerboard Alubat seemed to work pretty well for him in Antarctica, and throughout the rest of his 3rd circumnavigation...

Lifting/swing keels have actually become quite popular among many of today's high-latitude voyagers, particularly the French... Modern expedition yachts don't get much more state of the art than Hamish & Kate Laird's SEAL, a swing keel & rudder from the drawing boards of Chuck Paine and Ed Joy... Check out the link, offers a pretty good rationale for such a design for venturing to the more remote regions of the world. And, given where SEAL has been so far, I think there's little doubt about the viability of a ballasted swing keel for sailing anywhere...

Expedition Sail - Sailboat Seal

If I could pick any boat, to go anywhere, one of these Boreals would likely be my current choice (I believe our fellow poster hannah2 is doing their 3rd world tour on a Boreal)

Bienvenue chez Boreal

Oh, well - maybe in the Next Life...
Most people are not Jimmy Cornell.

I have been looking at this type and model pretty seriously. It is a Kettenburg, but it might not be what you would like.

It is fairly decent I think.

Last edited by mark2gmtrans; 06-30-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Assuming your authorities allow it, you might pick a random boat and ask about rafting up for the night. In which case, having a spare bottle of grog or wine or some other gift to pass across might also be worth having on board, since you pretty much are guaranteed to be imposing, no matter how nicely they say yes.
Old 07-01-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

North- most places here in the PNW are not going to be a problem unless you intentionally decide on arriving late to a very small, very popular spot (Pirates Cove, Smuggler, Garden Bay, etc). And if you do that provides the evenings entertainment for us early birds as we are enjoying the sunset comfortably anchored with libation in hand:-)) Usually there is somewhere else you can go not too far away so don't sweat it (especially now that you figured out you can use your stern anchor rode for a stern tie line).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-01-2013

Quote:
Most people are not Jimmy Cornell.

I have been looking at this type and model pretty seriously. It is a Kettenburg, but it might not be what you would like.

It is fairly decent I think.
"Fairly decent" is putting it mildly, that's a beautiful boat, no question... Not sure I'd want to have to deal with maintaining that brightwork while off cruising in a place like Patagonia, however... (grin)

Not my particular cup of tea, and I need shallower draft where I live, anyway. We rarely see Kettenburgs here on the East coast, but on the west coast they seem to have a very strong reputation, obviously a very capable boat...

Don't forget some lifelines, and storm shutters for those windows, if you're headed for that part of the world, it can get pretty breezy down there... (grin)
Old 07-01-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
"Fairly decent" is putting it mildly, that's a beautiful boat, no question... Not sure I'd want to have to deal with maintaining that brightwork while off cruising in a place like Patagonia, however... (grin)

Not my particular cup of tea, and I need shallower draft where I live, anyway. We rarely see Kettenburgs here on the East coast, but on the west coast they seem to have a very strong reputation, obviously a very capable boat...

Don't forget some lifelines, and storm shutters for those windows, if you're headed for that part of the world, it can get pretty breezy down there... (grin)
I thought you might like it, and the price is very right, and I am not telling where it is or how much LOL. I had noticed that several of the Kettenburgs I have looked at did not have lifelines, and I would definitely want to get them on there before I go anywhere. One had some storm shutters built that were not installed in the photos, but they had a setup to pin them in place and I would do that before I left.

The bright work, the interior wood work, and all of that is part of what I really like about the boat, but yes, it is a lot of work. Fortunately I have friends who own a boatyard and build boats down there, so they also have a covered dock for working on the boat in any weather, and it would be perfect for spending those winter days in August polishing up the teak and the brass and so forth, with a nice hot cup of coffee and a fire in the stove in the shop.

I think that it will do okay for what I have in mind, with a few minor modifications. Of course some people might say that a 40 year old wooden boat is just going to magically disintegrate in the first storm I come into, but I think it might be okay.