Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
What do I do if the anchorage is full?

I'm about into some small anchorages in the peak season. My schedule is often to sail until late afternoon. Sometimes until 9 oclock. What do you do if you get there and it's full? I'm not sure what answer you can give me because I'm only able to think of two things. Sail all night or anchor close and throw out some fenders and hope.

I would probably keep going all night. I hope this isn't a situation I run into, but I'd like some ideas in case it does.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What do I do if the anchorage is full?

You should do you best to plan ahead and have several coves, bays, or marinas in mind in the area where you want to be that night. One thing that can help you is to look on the charts and then on Google Earth, sometimes it shows you a good view of the areas with a bunch of sailboats anchored in some fairly odd places in my experience.

Also if you are not sure about the area you should check with others who have been in that area and they may be able to help you out a lot. If you see another sailboat say hello and ask them stuff, they will always be glad to talk to you, at least as far as I know most will, there may be a bunghole or two out there, but they give bad advice anyways LOL.
Old 06-30-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I'm about into some small anchorages in the peak season. My schedule is often to sail until late afternoon. Sometimes until 9 oclock. What do you do if you get there and it's full? I'm not sure what answer you can give me because I'm only able to think of two things. Sail all night or anchor close and throw out some fenders and hope.

I would probably keep going all night. I hope this isn't a situation I run into, but I'd like some ideas in case it does.
The answer is to get there earlier. Have alternatives. Seems reckless to place your boat which is your home in danger

You really have no right to endanger other boats by anchoring to close and putting fenders out and potentially lift their anchors by your poor seamanship. I wonder do you have insurance
rikhall likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-30-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Great question!
It touches our primeval fear of what do we do when something screws up?
Yes you need to be prepared to spend the night at sea. Someone here ran onto the rocks trying to get into the anchorage at 10pm. Much safer to stay at sea.

The flexibility one needs is more than one night at sea. A couple of times we have had to sail on for a few DAYS because the place we had lobbed into was untenable for one reason for another. We did it on both occasions without a problem because of a mental attitude of flexibility.

Now onto the specific point of small anchorages... They are rarely fully full. You just get the bit at the mouth of the bay where its rolly. You get an uncomfortable night.
However, yes, you are right that theres some tiny anchorages - one classic Mediterranean photo shows some idyllic anchorage that when you look at it really only allows one boat to anchor but you know 1,000 boats must be trying to get in it each day. The rule for that is "you snooze you lose"! There's no way coming in at 9pm you are going to get the best spot, or in there at all!

in those great anchorages I get set anywhere I can and then each morning sit in the cockpit and wait till theres movement on deck of a boat riggggghhhhhttttt up the front in the prime position. As soon as the LOOK at their subber I up anchor for me and move in!

If an anchorage is so tight and you must anchor but know you are too close: drop the anchor in your best spot and dinghy over to the other boats around and say hi and explain the problem and that you will move in the morning.
And if someone else anchors near you DON'T stand on your deck arms folded gralring at them. You look like a ******** to everyone in the anchorage. Wave at the new people, Go below and wait for 30 minutes. Either they will work out they have parked too close or they will be asking /explaining. They might be really nice people worthy to meet.... just like you
Old 06-30-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

Unless you rethink your strategy, you may find yourself anchored outside the anchorages in more exposed conditions a lot. Not sure why you would want to sail until it's almost time for the sun to go down and then look for an anchorage. All of those folks that are taking up the anchorage but have found room, learned long ago that you get where you want to be early and not only find a spot, but often find the best spot. If you want to sail all day and return to a snug harbor, it's probably best that you go out sailing and then return to your slip as late as you want. IMO, the real joy of sailing and cruising is enjoying a great anchorage, relaxing with a sundowner and a little music on the stereo. Chuck

Old 06-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

In most anchorages there are spots that are better than others. Some spots may require two anchors or may be deeper, requiring a lot of scope, or they may be questionable holding, or somewhat exposed. The good spots will be filled quicker, so be prepared to deal with not-so-good spots by having a good selection of anchors and plenty of chain. Having alternative choices is the best idea, although not always possible. Call ahead to a harbormaster, tow service, or marina to see what the options are.

It's often not possible to remain at sea for any number of good reasons. With no other option, tie up at a fuel dock if coming in late or even (perish the thought!) pay for a slip. There always seems to be somewhere to anchor, even if you need to stay up all night on watch or get rolled around by anchoring close to a channel. Do the research ahead of time and know exactly what your options may be when you get there. If the likelihood of not being able to find a spot are historically high....don't plan to go there.
Old 06-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Proper planning prevents a piss poor passage.

When snug, arrive early. When not, take your time. This is the simple stuff.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I think that once friend North begins sailing for days on end the time to stop will get to be earlier, you have to cook, eat, clean up and so forth and after an 8-10 hour day finding a sheltered anchorage may seem a good idea around 17:00 and not much later.
When you are making passage the day never ends, when you are cruising a coastline there should be no great hurry and you can take your time to see the things around you, and enjoy them more. Many people will anchor up in a little cove and use a canoe, dinghy, or kayak to explore, fish or hunt for neat stuff to see.

Take a look at this Video on youtube, it is long but it is pretty and you can see a lot of things that are cool.

Old 06-30-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I don't get it. You would intentionally put yourself, or worse your fellow sailors, in danger simply because you must maintain an arbitrary schedule? The answer seems obvious; change your schedule.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 06-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

never sail to a schedule. is dangerous..stuff happens.
MikeOReilly likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward