SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anchorage for Annapolis Fireworks? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100941-anchorage-annapolis-fireworks.html)

Jiminri 06-30-2013 01:15 PM

Anchorage for Annapolis Fireworks?

Are there some good anchorages from which to view the Annapolis fireworks on July 4 (and then spend the night)? I assume Whitehall Bay would work, are there others? Any chance that I'd find a spot for the night if I arrived mid-afternoon on the 4th? City moorings will be or are full according to the harbormaster, so I'm looking for some alternatives. Planning around my daughter's schedule means I cannot lget there much earlier. Thanks, Jim

SVAuspicious 07-01-2013 05:46 PM

Re: Anchorage for Annapolis Fireworks?

I like Whitehall Bay much more than the South Anchorage or the moorings. You can see Annapolis really well, and often look over your shoulder to see the high parts of Rock Hall and Baltimore. There is usually some Kent Island stuff to see also.

Less crazy and a higher percentage of overnighters so the BUI problem is reduced.

DRFerron 07-01-2013 06:09 PM

Rock Hall fireworks are on the 3rd.

chef2sail 07-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1052873)
Rock Hall fireworks are on the 3rd.

Come up to Rock Creek on the Patasco for Baltimore fireworks, the best Fireworks short of Washington DC . No crowds awesome display for 1 hour, quiet evening anchorage.

Jiminri 07-01-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 1052860)
I like Whitehall Bay much more than the South Anchorage or the moorings. You can see Annapolis really well, and often look over your shoulder to see the high parts of Rock Hall and Baltimore. There is usually some Kent Island stuff to see also.

Less crazy and a higher percentage of overnighters so the BUI problem is reduced.

Auspicious--if we got there early/mid afternoon on the 4th, what's your guess as to whether there would be a spot left to anchor for the night?

Chef--thanks for the suggestion to visit and see the Baltimore show, but we're headed to the Wye afterwards so it brings us in the wrong direction. Next year!

Thanks all,
Jim

dvuyxx 07-01-2013 08:12 PM

There are also very nice fireworks on the Severn River on the 3rd (Sherwood Forrest).

hallucination 07-01-2013 08:18 PM

Thank all of you for your tips. I end up being the guy that gets invited that fixes things. Avoiding the BUI problem is paramount.

We are coming out of Canton on the 3rd....darn weather willing...on Miss Anne. thinking of gunkholing off Rock Hall...not willing to do the 2 night, ~+200 slip thing, then popping over to east port for annapolis. whitehall might be a good "drama-free" night.

once you end up in inner harbor, cutting boats free, at mid-night, not my boat, sewer quality water, on my anniversary, yes...married on the 4th, scuba, lights....not again!

chef2sail 07-02-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiminri (Post 1052897)
Auspicious--if we got there early/mid afternoon on the 4th, what's your guess as to whether there would be a spot left to anchor for the night?

Chef--thanks for the suggestion to visit and see the Baltimore show, but we're headed to the Wye afterwards so it brings us in the wrong direction. Next year!

Thanks all,
Jim

Whitehall Bay is large lots of room.

Just an FYI we are headed to Shaw Bay the next day on the Wye . We go through Kent Narrows nd are there in 5 hours. Look for us.

You can't draw more than 5 ft.

Dave

gbm4th 07-02-2013 05:36 AM

Good morning all,

Where on Rock Creek is a good place to watch the fireworks? My first year at Oak Harbor Marina just down the creek.

Thanks, and have a star spangled 4th!
George

Jiminri 07-02-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 1053096)
Whitehall Bay is large lots of room.

Just an FYI we are headed to Shaw Bay the next day on the Wye . We go through Kent Narrows nd are there in 5 hours. Look for us.

You can't draw more than 5 ft.

Dave

Yeah, I know it's huge...just wasn't sure how much of a zoo it becomes on Independence Day. But given that the forecast is for continued S winds and Whitehall Bay is completely open to that direction, we'll probably pass.

On the plus side, the S winds mean a nice, mostly beam reach all the way to the Wye for us. See in in Shaw Bay.

Fairwinds,
Jim