Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013
Thistle Dew

Thistle Dew is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sails with their Golden Retriever

Yowza!! Sailing a 27' with 2 St. Bernards... They are better people than I.
Here is the thing...Primarily, we live in a remote area and enjoy a dog's company. The second thing is we also have a sailboat... hopefully we will be blessed with a dog who yearns for the briny depths!!!!

I will be certain to check out the Cruising With a Dog article. Thanks

Captain Jack Sparrow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

We have friends who brought their pit bull puppy for a daysail. The dog was the perfect guest. They swore it wouldn't like water but they had a time getting it to stop playing in the water at the marina.

Our slip neighbor trained his Golden to do his duty on a piece of astroturf-like stuff because before that they would have to take it off the boat a couple times a day. Then, when he got home he wouldn't go unless he had his astroturf square.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-01-2013
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road

I have an older golden but I have never sailed with her, however, I just got a chocolate lab (3 mo old now) and I plan on making him a boat dog.

I have some thoughts about how to do that and I'd be interested in how you trained yours and any tips and tricks you learned.

I plan on first introducing my lab to the local ponds and lakes, they are natural and strong swimmers but they still need to get their feet wet, as it were. I plan on getting one of those doggie boat ladders and train the mutt to use it in the pond. I'm told that a lab will likely jump out of the boat to get into the water so a means of recovery is required. A doggie life vest will also be worn at all times.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)
Old 07-01-2013
Thistle Dew

Thistle Dew is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised about the pitbull pup. That is a dog you don't often see frolicking in the water. The astroturf idea is what I as thinking. I could just put it on the cockpit floor and then wash it off.

I read the article about sailing with dogs and there were a few recommended books that came up too. Great info!!

Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle Dew View Post
I'm surprised about the pitbull pup. That is a dog you don't often see frolicking in the water. The astroturf idea is what I as thinking. I could just put it on the cockpit floor and then wash it off.

I read the article about sailing with dogs and there were a few recommended books that came up too. Great info!!
Pit bulls get such a bad rep because of bad owners that you don't often see them frolicking anywhere let alone in the water. But this one was an angel.

I also see something advertised on tv that is like grass but with something absorbent added to it. I think it's the same idea as cat litter. Can't remember the name of it though.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
.....And GoldenDoodle is just another name for mutt.
They're not my thing. However, aren't many so called pure breds just mutts that have been consistently around a long time? I wouldn't be surprised to see GoldenDoodle become a pure bred way down the road.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-01-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Our previous golden would get car sick often and occasionally on the boat when it was rough. Our current golden does not and enjoys being on the boat. I like having her aboard but there are logistical problems Getting large dogs on the boat from a dinghy can be a problem. Having a swim platform and transom gate is a big help. Taking them to do their business can also be a hassle. It's not bad when the weather is good but think about doing it in a driving rain storm needing to land on a beach then bringing a muddy dog back to the boat. If the dog is aboard we tend to limit destinations to where there are nearby dinghy docks or when we are in a slip which up in Maine is not very frequent. I have thought about trying to teach her to pee on the swim platform maybe on an AstroTurf mat that' could be rinsed in sea water but have not tried it yet. I don't have any easy answers.
Old 07-01-2013
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

Why is it important that dogs be 'pure bred'? None of us are.
Minnewaska and FinallySailing like this.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 07-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Interesting. I wonder if no discharge zones refer to domestic animal waste?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-01-2013

PacificSalt is on a distinguished road

I sail with my 2 dachshunds all the time...they seem to love it! Just have to make sure they have plenty of water...if the sun gets too much on them I'll put them down below. It's not long before they whine and want to come back on deck with us. They've been going since they were pups and they're quite well behave on the boat.