SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Who sails with their Golden Retriever (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100953-who-sails-their-golden-retriever.html)

Thistle Dew 06-30-2013 10:31 PM

Who sails with their Golden Retriever

Who sails with a big dog and how do they do it? Just lost my beautiful Golden Retriever Girl who was a pretty good sailor. Does anyone else sail with a big dog? What tips do you have?

jimgo 07-01-2013 12:12 AM

Re: Who sails with their Golden Retriever

Sorry for your loss. We had a golden when I was growing up; they are wonderful dogs. I'd like to get one...looking forward to hearing more about sailing with big dogs.

Thistle Dew 07-01-2013 12:16 AM

Thanks for the kind words Jim. They are truly awesome dogs. It helps that they love the water so much. I'm looking for some ideas too.

Minnewaska 07-01-2013 07:51 AM

Also sorry for your loss. My family had a Golden when we were kids. Great dog.

However, I couldn't imagine having her aboard. It would have been impossible to keep her out of the water and a wet dog aboard would give me a coronary. Then, the hair!! :eek:

It isn't only whether you can keep it tidy, Goldens shed so much hair it would seem impossible to keep it out of the bilges and unreachable places.

Maybe a GoldenDoodle, if you like big dogs?

jameswilson29 07-01-2013 09:17 AM

I bring my German Shepherd with us for day sails periodically. Bring a bowl and lots of cold water. Hose the dog down at the slip with cold water before boarding and upon your return so the dog is cooler. Pour cold water on the dog if he or she appears too warm. Keep the bimini up so the dog can sit in the shade. Although I have an Outward Hound life preserver for my GSD, he does not wear it in the warmer months. We attach his nylon harness with a nylon lead to the steering pedestal to keep him from falling overboard.

utchuckd 07-01-2013 09:34 AM

Many doodles do shed, so be careful there. Find a good, reputable breeder if you decide to go that direction.

James, I got one of these for my dog, and tho it may be kinda clunky to find a spot aboard for it it does last most of the day for keeping cool:

ChillSpot by LayRay | The Coolest Dog Bed

Note: No, I haven't had this on my boat, I just wanted to pass it along.

Thistle Dew 07-01-2013 10:58 AM

Minnewaska...You are right. Goldens do shed a lot! aaannndd their hair clogging the bilge is definitely a point to ponder. Even with vigilant cleaning that hair does get everywhere. Now I got to think...
Overheating in the PNW doesn't seem to be a huge concern for the most part. However today is forecasted to be 92 degrees. Buckets of water would apply to everyone not just a dog. We had a special waterbottle for the dog so we always kept that handy for a drink when underway.
Thanks to all for your great thoughts

caberg 07-01-2013 01:45 PM

Some dogs will do better than others onboard and while some breeds may have a better temperament for boats, there are no guarantees on an individual basis. I know some labs love being on boats -- mine does not. We've had her on a powerboat and she was a nervous wreck from the movement of the boat. I won't take her on the sailboat, which means she stays home with the neighbor dog sitter when we head out. I wouldn't specifically get a dog as a sailing companion. It's not really an ideal situation for a dog.

And GoldenDoodle is just another name for mutt.

Philzy3985 07-01-2013 02:12 PM

My parents used to sail a Catalina 27 - for 2-3 week trips - with not one, but TWO SAINT BERNARDS. The key was to keep them in harnesses and laying down in the cockpit.

Lots of water, harness, and some junk towels.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 07-01-2013 03:13 PM

Our good cruising friends, Skip and Harriet Hardy wrote a very good page for us on Frugal-Mariner: Cruising with a Dog. Though I wouldn't call Bailey a big dog - he's a Sheltie, a medium sized dog - but they have a lot of good information.