Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

Okay- What can it hurt? Ill just call the coasties on 16.

Now- what should be the statement we use? "suchnsuch boat just.......... and was.........causing danger to........ just wanted to report?" We need a nice and concise delivery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Paintball gun
I like this. Paintball gun (color of paint is owner's choice) is required operating equipment, like pfd.
If a boat has one or two paint spots - well, everyone makes mistakes.
If a boat looks like it parked under a flock of seagulls that had just gorged
on a billion jellybeans - the operator is obviously an idiot and a menace,
and should be removed from the water immediately.
[Adapted from a comic's bit about bad drivers. Saw it *years* ago, might have been
George Carlin, I'm not sure.]
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post

Seriously we need recourse. ITs different in a wide bay or channel but the ICW for example is narrow in many places forcing sailboats to stay in very tight courses. We also have the right of way so it could be a rules of the road thing where the power boaters are directly endangering life or property but throwing eggs is an act of aggression. I WANT AN ACT OF AGGRESSION!@!!! Just one that wont eat up my savings or impound myself or boat.

Think Sailnet think!
Damn, you haven't even made 100 miles yet on the ICW, and you already want to go down Retaliation Road? Time to get out of The Ditch, dude, and start sailing outside... (grin)

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done... Maybe have a Go-Pro video cam or similar at the ready, to document any potential damage, perhaps making a big show of videotaping their pass, might give pause to some, enough to get them thinking about what they're doing...

Otherwise, learn to throw a sort of 'hip check' into their wake... Most boats that pass at speed, will throw a pretty sharp wake consisting of only a couple of waves. Most boats, if you cut sharply into the wake, but then quickly bring yourself abeam to the wake, will do little more than bob up and down... The timing has to be right, but once you perfect the technique, it will really help take the sting out of taking a wake on your quarter...

Seems like you're generally dealing with local powerboaters in smaller boats, so the following doesn't necessarily apply to you... However, during the big snowbird migrations on the ICW in the fall and spring, I'm afraid many cruisers have a big hand in bringing much of the discomfort from passing power boats upon themselves...

Never ceases to amaze, how many steadfastly refuse to reduce their own speed when being overtaken... If you expect to be overtaken by a faster vessel throwing a minimal wake, you absolutely MUST slow to a slow idle... It's stunning, how many cruisers appear to be completely ignorant of the physics at work, and the impossibility of passing a sailboat running at 7 knots with a 60' motoryacht, without the latter having to throw them a sizeable wake...

I have little confidence in calls to the CG producing any sort of result, in anything other than the most egregious example - a serious damage to property, or personal injury, etc... In Florida, the FL Marine Patrol would probably be a better bet, they are more of a law enforcement agency anyway, and would be much more likely to respond, there's so many more of those guys out there, anyway... It's absurd to expect the CG to respond to reports of such discourtesy, given some of the distances between stations in that area of FL...

btw, in terms of the Rules of the Road, you do understand that if your engine is running, the fact that your boat has sails and a mast does not necessarily give you right of way over a powerboat in any given situation, right?
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Yes, yes, and yes.
I am still unhappy about it. I have to sail 3 miles from North Causeway to the inlet. Those three miles even on an ebb are not very fun when non stop power boats are forcing you to quarter up every 1 or 2 minutes to cross over wake.
I guess courtesy is a dying concept in this newfangled age of turbo charged and twin 250's.
Old 07-01-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I used to carry a nice throwing rock in my boat.
Old 07-01-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Never ceases to amaze, how many steadfastly refuse to reduce their own speed when being overtaken...
I'm one of those. You have to practically stop to make it work. If powerboats actually slowed to the proper speed, I would do it but 90% of them simply slow down to the speed where they make the largest wake.

When I hear them calling on the radio for a slow pass, I just wave them by and deal with the wake. It isn't a big deal if things are secured as they should be on a sail boat and after you've learned how to steer through them.

Now, the "Florida Pass" is a different issue. It's intended as a big middle finger and one of the things I dislike about the state. These seem to start about a quarter mile past Fernandina and I've seldom seen them north of there.
Old 07-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I don't know. My boat is set up to handle big off shore swells, so a boat wake has never been any thing but a tease. There was this "CRAZY BOAT" bizzness in Key West, that would use me as point of reference to do donuts around. This was on a 30 foot cat that I was running eco tours on. I went down to where they were based out of, and told the owner and the captain that if he came with in 100 yards of me or any body I knew again I would light him and all if his boats on fire, And that was just for starters. I said this very calmly and matter of factly after politely introducing my self. They stayed way out of the harbour after that. I don't recomend this approach unless you look like you might actually do it.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road

SUPER SOAKER WATER GUN or WATER BALLOONS

Fire off a few rounds or launch a couple balloons just before they pass so they can see what's in store. Preferably requesting a slow pass on channel 16 at the same time. But, as it is with power boaters they usually don't have a VHF radio, at least not on, so 5 loud blasts on an air horn should be enough warning.

And if they don't slow down, let'em fly as they go by.

If they become aggressive after the fact and start to turn around, then get the CG on the horn to let them know what is about to take place.

In my experience nobody cares to hear about people who whine about wakes on the water on the radio. They will care if damage is done, but otherwise it is just another hazard of a dangerous sport.

The other option is to only go out when the price of fuel goes up.
Old 07-01-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how many steadfastly refuse to reduce their own speed when being overtaken
As the stand-on vessel being passed, you are obligated to maintain both speed and direction. Slow down before they overtake I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I have heard of people being successful with taking pictures and reporting the boats. I would think you'd have to make sure the picture included the wake trailing from their boat as well as any markings that identify the boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne