Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

floating line and a bouy for a throwing weight,
have fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Securite, Securite, Securite !

All mariners in the vicinity of the Virginia Cut take heed.

A large powerboat named XXXXX is driving erratically and dragging a dangerous wake.

The above radio call has worked for me on a number of occasions
This is the best option. if a lawman is nearby they may be on the lookout. If not to ticket then to do a 'courtesy check'.

Also give the course in your radio call.

Having said that, I have had pretty good experience in the ditch with passing yachts. But I'm 30,000 lbs and so a certain amount of wake is meaningless. I often tell an offer of a slow pass to forget it, come on down.

Now "picnic boats" in the northeast...you must have to pass @hole certification to buy one.
Old 07-02-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I just hit the wake from a mega powerboat. Threw a wave clear back into the cockpit. I guess I'm going to have to do a better job avoiding those.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 07-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For some odd reason, wakes have never really bothered me. Heck, I've never seen one nearly as tough as being offshore. That wake is probably the highest wave the stupid stinkpotter has ever seen.

Now, I love being completely indignant, as they hardly affect our boat at all. I just shake my head with a superior seaman's attitude toward the novice bumbling stinkpotter and imagine them inevitably driving upon the rocks in their future. Sometime I just give them the finger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-03-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Northport has a big (1000) something mooring field with a big transient population NOW what really annoys me is speeds well above 5 MPH and wakes in the mooring field

Now just outside the field were all the bigger boats do slow down its pretty normal to have a wake deep enough to stuff the bow on the Cal 29 and washdown the decks

It does become somewhat hard to get upset as this is also a somewhat normal sea condition on every NE wind ?

The 4th of July should be strange as due to last years fatal overloaded boat capsize they have made the entire area and I do mean ENTIRE AREA right out to the sound a 5 MPH zone as it will be the only on the water fireworks around here
an idiot overloads his boat so they change the speed limit? Go figure
Old 07-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I grew up on power boats, my dad always taught me "slow down for sailboats" and we almost always did. I just figured that was common practice...

Imagine my surprise when we had an emergency anchor toss for a motor issue and some young bonehead with about 8 girls on the boat roared past us less than 30 ft away, nearly sending my wife overboard and partially bending a bracket on my boat. I was livid to the point I wanted to install a camera on the boat so, when it happened again, I had a video to send the USCG. Looking back, I should have radioed them and let them know about it shortly after, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

We also had some guy on a jetski that thought it was fun to circle the boat and send water spraying into the cockpit for several minutes. He just stared at us blankly while he did it, no expression on his face, nothing, just a blank stare.

People are aholes.

Last edited by Shinook; 07-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

The ICW is a commercial waterway and as such is not a waterway designed for the use pleasure craft.
Delivering vessels up and down the ditch has become increasingly time consuming as new no wake zones seem to be added daily, and it is a bit much to expect a power boat to slow for every sailboat on a 1200 mile trip. It is bad for the engines and as mentioned above, many boats throw a larger wake off the plane than on.
With more than 70 ICW deliveries on "gold plated" sport fishing vessels, early on I tried to be courteous, but many times only to be rewarded with a raised middle finger, so, in time, I just went on my merry way as best suited me. I found those who did not slow down as I tried to pass with as little wake as possible, created a situation where I needed enough speed to actually get by them, and I therefor threw a larger wake than I should have had to do, had they slowed down.
Just because one is cruising inside, there is no excuse for not stowing gear below properly and keeping the companionway hatch shut while underway; you know someone will be passing throwing a huge wake.
I guess your best recourse is to sail outside and hope the idiots give you a little sea room out there (yeah, fat chance!).
Old 07-04-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I tried to be courteous, but many times only to be rewarded with a raised middle finger, so, in time, I just went on my merry way as best suited me.
As a power boater I am sorry you are tired of being courteous. Most of the problem is selfish people doing what best "suits" themselves.
Old 07-05-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Carry a coke can wound with line and a hook, and toss a well timed cast with a with a really heavy sinker and fat treble hook. See what you can snag off the power boat as he goes by.

Minor fishing accidents are almost as common as not seeing the sailboat as you roar by, and if it's coke can style you don't even have a rod and reel aboard (who's hook was that? Prolly another power boaters I'd imagine...)

Oops, sorry about that Mr. "It's five o'clock somewhere", I'm sure you can sew that canvas back up at minimal cost
Old 07-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

If you insist on keeping your speed at 5-7 knots when being overtaken then you WILL get a HUGE wake. Its just physics.... Think about it the power boat can't pass you at 5-7 knots without himself doing 8-10 knots. This is a speed that will cause a monstrous wake on most large power boats.

If you slow down then the power boat can also slow down to a speed which will not cause a "surfable" wake when passing you.... Course when you learn how to deal with wakes they really are a non-issue....
capta and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.