Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

It it's really bad enough, I have found throwing a beer bottle at them makes me feel better.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Securite, Securite, Securite !

All mariners in the vicinity of the Virginia Cut take heed.

A large powerboat named XXXXX is driving erratically and dragging a dangerous wake.

The above radio call has worked for me on a number of occasions
We use this approach on the waterway quite often. It doesn't help after the boat has waked you but it might help the next boat ahead. We also point a camera at the boats coming up from behind that look like they aren't' going to slow down. That works in some cases I'm sure. Take the photos or videos and post them on the internet, but keep in mind that it's illegal in some states to record someone in public without their permission. It might shame a few into slowing down, and maybe not. There isn't anything much you can do. No authorities, including the Cast Guard, have ever acknowledged they will do anything about it in our 20= years of cruising the ICW. We did an article on the changes we have seen on the ICW over the years and posted it on our blog. It was originally published in a couple of well known boating publications, The Trawler Beach House: Changes On The ICW .Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

The following is purely hypothetical.

I don't cruise the ICW, but here in Michigan we have to share the channels that connect our inland lakes and harbors to the Great Lakes. As you exit a channel, the 40ft. powerboat that you are next to you or is slightly behind you like to jam their throttles forward, dig a hole in the water, and send all that water at you. Last season, one of them flipped a speedboat in the next port South of us. Jerks.

Around here, the cities are small, there are a limited amount of marinas that will accommodate a large powerboat. And have you ever noticed that powerboats have large, billboard-like transoms that display the boat's name and home port?

Last season a 40 foot charter fishing boat dug a hole next to me, and tossed my friends around the cockpit. The captain never looked back, while his customers dropped their jaws and pointed at us. Jerk.

Do that kind of crap to my friends and you'll be lucky if I visit your slip during the day. I can and I will find you. Hypothetically.
Old 07-06-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road

I v'e been running sail & power boats up and down the ICW for over 20yrs. Couple of comments. When in a sail boat I usually just wave a power boat by or let them now on the radio. After all I'm in a sail boat most likely more sea worthy than the power boat. I've decided to leave a protected dock or anchorage to make way. There fore being prepared for waves and motion. Why should We as sailors expect because of our choosing to go slow expect or demand others do too. Once I took a pure sailor on a power boat trip up the waterway after slowing do a few times for sail boats. He proclaimed NOW I CAN BE THE PEOPLE I HATE. Then waked all the sailor after that. I do slow down for sailboats, kayaks,john boats & trawlers on the ICW But also if I slow to pass you you should also slow so I can pass quickly with no wake if you just keep on then were is the mutual respect. Your just asking for action from the power boat with no action on your part. So 2 things to remember.
1. If a power boat slows to pass you should also slow to make a quick smooth pass. And or show mutual respect.
2. If you leave safe harbor be prepared for waves & wakes . After all you on the water . You can't blame other people for you not being prepared for what you know is going to happen. GET WAKED
Seaduction likes this.

May you weather all storms
Old 07-06-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Powerboats are in a different world. I do not expect them to slow to a stop to pass and would rather they stay up on plane to pass quickly and leave less wake. The great majority will try to minimize the situation but sometimes you're just going to get waked. If you just make a quick right angle turn and fall in behind, there is really no big issue. It is annoying at times and I have to admit I've raised a hand signal on occasion but there are idiots in all areas of life.
Old 07-06-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I think most power boaters don't realize the issue of their wake.
If they didn't care, they'd just blow by you up on plane, which would be the best thing they could do. The fact that their slowing down before passing you shows their trying to do the right thing.

There's not much you can do about this & any retaliation will only get you in trouble
Old 07-06-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I've been travelling various parts of the ICW for ten years. I have run into a few yahoos, yes but to say MOST don't care and are yahoos is very far from the truth. I can count on one hand power boaters with whom I've had a bad time.

By enlarge they call my boat and say if you would like slow down and we'll give you an easy pass.
Old 07-06-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
The ICW is a commercial waterway and as such is not a waterway designed for the use pleasure craft.
Delivering vessels up and down the ditch has become increasingly time consuming as new no wake zones seem to be added daily, and it is a bit much to expect a power boat to slow for every sailboat on a 1200 mile trip. It is bad for the engines and as mentioned above, many boats throw a larger wake off the plane than on.
With more than 70 ICW deliveries on "gold plated" sport fishing vessels, early on I tried to be courteous, but many times only to be rewarded with a raised middle finger, so, in time, I just went on my merry way as best suited me. I found those who did not slow down as I tried to pass with as little wake as possible, created a situation where I needed enough speed to actually get by them, and I therefor threw a larger wake than I should have had to do, had they slowed down.
Just because one is cruising inside, there is no excuse for not stowing gear below properly and keeping the companionway hatch shut while underway; you know someone will be passing throwing a huge wake.
I guess your best recourse is to sail outside and hope the idiots give you a little sea room out there (yeah, fat chance!).

Being as I have sailboat, and most here do as well, these new 'no wake zones' effect me how? And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the NEW 'no wake zones' imposed to slow idiots that go to fast in such a narrow, resident congested, waterway anyway? It appears your 'gold plated' mentality is what is not wanted on the ICW.

And just because you are tired of going at the speed that most of the ICW is designed for, with no wake zones and slow traffic, I would suggest you should be the one taking your 'gold plated' buckets outside. Your getting paid, it would do you well to run outside and go as fast as you want. And make your 'gold plated' owner happy by delivering his cargo faster than scheduled. Heck, you might even get a tip. I doubt it, because the owner probably thinks all delivery captains are the same and he is tired of dealing with their arrogance, which seems to run in that circle of 'gold plated' influence. (What's that saying, s*** rolls down hill?)

I've seen people like you sink a little john boat with a couple of old fisherman minding their own business, because it was too much trouble to slow down.

By the way, I usually use red colored water balloons for just such an occasion if you find one busted on your deck some day.
Old 07-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
Being as I have sailboat, and most here do as well, these new 'no wake zones' effect me how? And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the NEW 'no wake zones' imposed to slow idiots that go to fast in such a narrow, resident congested, waterway anyway? It appears your 'gold plated' mentality is what is not wanted on the ICW.

And just because you are tired of going at the speed that most of the ICW is designed for, with no wake zones and slow traffic, I would suggest you should be the one taking your 'gold plated' buckets outside. Your getting paid, it would do you well to run outside and go as fast as you want. And make your 'gold plated' owner happy by delivering his cargo faster than scheduled. Heck, you might even get a tip. I doubt it, because the owner probably thinks all delivery captains are the same and he is tired of dealing with their arrogance, which seems to run in that circle of 'gold plated' influence. (What's that saying, s*** rolls down hill?)

I've seen people like you sink a little john boat with a couple of old fisherman minding their own business, because it was too much trouble to slow down.

By the way, I usually use red colored water balloons for just such an occasion if you find one busted on your deck some day.
Rant and rave all you want, my delivery days are long passed (30 years ago, when the ICW was a viable commercial waterway). Perhaps you're the type to try to sail the ICW when a tug and barge is in your way, yelling "I'm under sail, I have the right of way!".
Plenty of folks have gotten themselves into trouble in the ICW because they do not understand the concept of a commercial waterway. There are plenty of offshoots on the ICW for those in their john boats, water skiers and partiers. I can tell you from personal experience, when navigating a tug and barge in the ICW, other traffic had better stay out of the way as there is no way in hell to stop or turn those things once you've set up for the reach to the next turn.
And the truth of the no wake zones and many of the Manatee zones, has nothing to do with boater or Manatee safety; it's the wealthy waterfront property owners not wanting to constantly repair their seawalls because of the erosion from wakes.
Old 07-07-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Rant and rave all you want, my delivery days are long passed (30 years ago, when the ICW was a viable commercial waterway). Perhaps you're the type to try to sail the ICW when a tug and barge is in your way, yelling "I'm under sail, I have the right of way!".
Plenty of folks have gotten themselves into trouble in the ICW because they do not understand the concept of a commercial waterway. There are plenty of offshoots on the ICW for those in their john boats, water skiers and partiers. I can tell you from personal experience, when navigating a tug and barge in the ICW, other traffic had better stay out of the way as there is no way in hell to stop or turn those things once you've set up for the reach to the next turn.
And the truth of the no wake zones and many of the Manatee zones, has nothing to do with boater or Manatee safety; it's the wealthy waterfront property owners not wanting to constantly repair their seawalls because of the erosion from wakes.
Maybe you need to come up to speed there, old timer. The ICW is no longer a commercial waterway as such. Sure commercial traffic still uses it, but the the Army Corp of Engineers doesn't maintain it anymore, at least not consistently. It has become a waterway for pleasure boats and as you say, rich property owners, and Manatee. And of course, all power boaters whine about the speed zones to protect them. Damn them slow moving Manatee!

And since this was a discussion about powerboat wakes, I am not exactly sure how a tug and barge's wake got thrown into this. From what I have seen, tug and barges move pretty slow producing very little wake. Oh, yeah, you did mention that so, what was your point again in regards to their wake? I am a bit confused, how did your "gold plated" sport fishing vessels turn into a tug and barge? How did you get a tug and barge up on plane, so you would have to slow down?

The older gentlemen in the jon boat were at the edge of the river next to the marsh minding their own business. They were no where near the power boat that produced the wake that flipped them over.

The discussion was about the wake of fast moving powerboats, not the right of way of tug boats.

And, I have no idea what you are talking about, every time I sail in front of a tanker or large ship, sighting the sailboat right of way, they immediately turn and get out of my way. They don't do that for you?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.