Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

someone seems to have forgotten you are responsible for your wake.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

This past weekend we had a large (50'+) PB blast past us (and several others at anchor) and they created quite a large wake. While I understand there is no speed limit where we were anchored I found it pretty rude and created a dangerous circumstance for us and others. He demonstrated the arrogance and/or ignorance that power boaters can have.

My youngest daughter was just getting into the water from on the stern ladder, my other daughter was lying on a raft when we heard then saw the wake approach. My estimate was about 2' wake, breaking slighltly...scared the you know what out of them and me. I yelled to her to swim away from the boat but the fear overcame her and she went for the ladder, had I not reached down and crabbed her just in time I think she could have been injured by the rudder or hitting her head on the bottom of the stern. The motion was violent. I have never seen her so scared, shaking, but to her credit she was back in the water after a few minutes.

As mentioned, I understand there is no restrictions in the area where we were anchored so one must be more cautious but I would really have liked to catch him and tell him what his boat caused, although I doubt he would give a sheet. Its not like slowing down the last 1/4 mile through a pretty popular anchorage would have caused him any great delay. I would have loved to meet the person!

It was an unfortunate way to be reminded that you must always be on guard. And no, I didn't get the name or boat number. Too busy attending to my kids nerves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnChuck View Post
We did an article on the changes we have seen on the ICW over the years and posted it on our blog. It was originally published in a couple of well known boating publications, The Trawler Beach House: Changes On The ICW .Chuck
Nice piece, your observations match many of my own to a tee...

The rise of the phenomenon of doing the Ditch in 'packs', led by a 'Guru', is definitely one of the most perplexing to me... Without question, many cruisers are far less self-sufficient and generally less competent than years ago, and the reliance on various guides, and resources such as Active Captain, has become almost comical... The sort of Serendipitous Surprise that so often marked many of my most memorable experiences back in the old days, seems completely absent from the manner in which many cruisers make the trip now... But that is largely a reflection of the way so many prefer to travel nowadays in general, of course...

btw, you've got a great little boat there... I got my start in the delivery biz running Marine Traders for Don Miller back in the 70's, I can guarantee you I have more hours on those boats than any other person alive... (grin) Hell, there's a good chance I may have originally delivered yours, back in 1980...
Old 07-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
And, I have no idea what you are talking about, every time I sail in front of a tanker or large ship, sighting the sailboat right of way, they immediately turn and get out of my way. They don't do that for you?
Hmmm, I wouldn't know, never having summoned the nerve to attempt such a thing... (grin)
Old 07-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

pyewackette, you are absolutely right, I got off topic and rambled. I'm sorry.
As my present boat cannot navigate most of the ICW bridges, I'll not be a menace to anyone in the ICW, so why I even made any comment is curious. Old timer's disease, I guess.
Funny though, how so many sailors are so easily angered by pleasure power boaters, but shrug off the flagrant discourtesy of the LEO's of every ilk that barrel through crowded anchorages and waterways on their way to their next boarding.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 07-09-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

My favorite this season (so far):

We're headed offshore, about 1/2 mile out, and a 30-35' mobo overtakes us on the stbd side; like 75-100 feet away. I present my stbd quarter to the wake and we grab on to whatever is secure and ride it out. Then the other boat makes a turn to stbd! He could have turned several hundred yards maybe even a quarter mile earlier. It was almost (almost) like he decided to give us a little thrill before turning south. I know that the Pacific is bigger, but the Atlantic is still a fairly large body of water. Seems like an a-hole move to me.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Ken

Catalina 25 #2818

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
My favorite this season (so far):

We're headed offshore, about 1/2 mile out, and a 30-35' mobo overtakes us on the stbd side; like 75-100 feet away. I present my stbd quarter to the wake and we grab on to whatever is secure and ride it out. Then the other boat makes a turn to stbd! He could have turned several hundred yards maybe even a quarter mile earlier. It was almost (almost) like he decided to give us a little thrill before turning south. I know that the Pacific is bigger, but the Atlantic is still a fairly large body of water. Seems like an a-hole move to me.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Ken
I have noticed this same behavior quite a few times. I think it's some kind of "follower" instinct. With miles of open water, powerboats will often head right for you and then pass within close proximity, only to turn to a different heading soon after. ??? Maybe they just want to look at the pretty sails. Many are not the sharpest tool in the shed, you know.
Old 07-09-2013

okawbow is on a distinguished road

Show them one of these-
How to make a RPG-7 prop.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 07-10-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I have noticed this same behavior quite a few times. I think it's some kind of "follower" instinct. With miles of open water, powerboats will often head right for you and then pass within close proximity, only to turn to a different heading soon after. ??? Maybe they just want to look at the pretty sails. Many are not the sharpest tool in the shed, you know.

Incredible that they would come so close. I've had it happen in Long Island Sound. Huge powerful yachts coming within 100 feet of me and throwing me a 7' wake. But to them we don't even exist. You could shoot up flares and blow an air horn and it wouldn't matter. They are just oblivious.

Its nautical version of the self centered , no empathy attitude that is so prevalent in our country.
Old 07-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Here's one, where there isn't a bloody thing it seems anyone can do about it. The entrance to Nantucket Harbor is bordered by a jetty on each side, extending a couple hundred yards from the shore. It appears it is not a part of the No Wake zone, as the ferries and every power boat are at full throttle through there right up to Brant Point.

The tough part is you have little to no room to maneuver to take the wake favorably and they will pass quite closely. It will take you on the beam. Worse, if you are towing your dinghy, it could be flipped. Sort of a nerve wracking place.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.