SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Recourse for Powerboats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100961-recourse-powerboats.html)

Harborless 07-01-2013 09:37 AM

Recourse for Powerboats

I would like to know the recourse we sailboaters have against power boaters who cause dangerous wakes when passing.
Example: your motoring down the icw between green and red so you have to maintain a very narrow heading especially if deep draft or low tide. A 30+ foot powerboat blows past you not more than 20 feet to beam causing a wake that almost causes capsize if you do not drastically change course to take wake on the quarter thus risking collision with tother passing boats or grounding.

Do we have recourse?

ebs001 07-01-2013 09:52 AM

Re: Recourse for Powerboats

Get the name of the boat call the call the Coast Guard and tell them that that a power boat named ... just deliberately killed or maimed a manatee. Maimed is better because you don't have to produce a body.

Shoot them on the grounds that you had reason to believe they were going to put your life in danger. You have to do this before not after. A couple of dead power boaters would certainly send a message.

Harborless 07-01-2013 10:19 AM

You are diabolical. Option one will be used but i can only use it once or twice. Coasties catch on quick. So after two maimed manatees in a half hour then what? Could you shoot a flare gun at them and say you had poor aim and were just trying to "signal"?
that makes 3 or 4 boaters. I need a long term option.

jimgo 07-01-2013 10:30 AM

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any recourse.

I love the guys who slow WAY down, but because the aren't on plane anymore actually cut a HUGE wake. You know they are trying to be polite, but it would actually be better if they just kept going at their original speed.

tweitz 07-01-2013 10:34 AM

Recourse for Powerboats

Legally a boat is responsible for damage caused by its wake. Practically, very little remedy is available. My sense is that the worst offenders either think you enjoy it, are completely ignorant, or are malicious. Sometimes all of the above. And lots of local marine enforcement folks are on their own overpowered motor boats when they are off duty, and don't give sailors much sympathy.

tommays 07-01-2013 10:37 AM

I do not know the real legal answerer other than there suppose to be responsible for there wake

At least here boating right by a CG station and 7 different on the water PD patrol boats Outside of no wake zones the question becomes can you make a wake ?

I ask this because in theory and reality I certainly have to give way to many Ferry's and they certainly do not slow down because it might rock my sailboat

manatee 07-01-2013 10:42 AM

Long-term option: M61A1 Vulcan

M61 Vulcan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---nothing left but chum. :-)

Roger Long 07-01-2013 11:08 AM

Paintball gun:)

Harborless 07-01-2013 11:16 AM

I was seriously considering buying a dozen eggs when I was going to go out and pelting any offenders. If they turn around to try and buck up then out comes the orange flare gun pointed at the helmsman.

Would I be arrested for this? I can articulate very well so I would be very capable of talking the scnerario with the authorites but I do not want to have to page damages from egg on gel coat- it ruins car finishes. Also pointing a flare gun is probably illegal but at that point I am being pursued with malicious intenet so it becomes a stand your ground claim- I just want some afternoon sailing fun I do not want every trip to lead to me having to appear in a court room to defend my egg throwing or flare gun pointing.

However I CANT STAND the guys who offend in these 30+ size boats. They freaking are maniacs. We should be able to come up with something. Its a felony to throw objects at a moving car- I imagine a boat could be classified the same IDK.

Seriously we need recourse. ITs different in a wide bay or channel but the ICW for example is narrow in many places forcing sailboats to stay in very tight courses. We also have the right of way so it could be a rules of the road thing where the power boaters are directly endangering life or property but throwing eggs is an act of aggression. I WANT AN ACT OF AGGRESSION!@!!! Just one that wont eat up my savings or impound myself or boat.

Think Sailnet think!

ebs001 07-01-2013 11:27 AM

I have never heard anyone call the Coast Guard to even complain. I think that we should start reporting these incidents to the CG anytime they occur. Maybe if one boat name in particular comes up time after time, the CG might have a chat with said captain. As long as we sit and do nothing, nothing will get done.

By and large my experience with power boaters has been good with all but a very few showing the utmost respect for there fellow boaters.