Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed?

Give the boom brake a thought.
With a boom that heavy and long, you may want to mount a hefty preventer that is easy to set and remove and also act as a way to bring the boom down off the wind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed?

Both my previous boat (a 1974 ketch), and my current boat (1977 cutter), came to me without a vang. Not sure what the thinking was when they were being rigged, but I sure miss the vang when running. I recall the first time we went on a run in big winds. I look up and the main boom is flying way up, making an ugly V shape of the sail. What the heck .

I installed a vang on my previous boat, and will do the same on our current one. But some sort of preventer is also absolutely necessary -- especially for your 15' boom. You do not want to have an accidental jibe with that boom.

Note, a preventer can be used to keep the boom down, and therefore act somewhat like a vang. It's not as good, but might be easier to rig quickly. A vang is nice, but a preventer system is absolutely necessary for your boat.
Old 07-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

My boat is a 1961. It was equipped with flush threaded inserts that are through bolted in the deck. A large bronze eye threads into the deck insert(when needed) to allow clipping on a snatch block(or multiple blocks) to a boom strap(typical when roller boom furling like your boat was the norm).

This is used as a preventer and serves as a vang for mainsail shape. You may have these inserts in the deck?

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-02-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Wow. This discussion just made me realize that I already have a block on the deck for rigging a preventer! May be a little hard to see in this photo, but, there is a block just aft of the shrouds, inboard of the rail. I thought is was just a fixed jib block, but, it didn't line up very well. Man, sometimes there are things right in your face that you don't see. To the OP: you will have discoveries like this (for years).

Old 07-03-2013

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Give the boom brake a thought.
With a boom that heavy and long, you may want to mount a hefty preventer that is easy to set and remove and also act as a way to bring the boom down off the wind.
I think your right...and I am happy and better nformed now by all of the replies...

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2013

watsongs is on a distinguished road

An easy way to rig a preventer for an accidental gybe is to rig a carabiner to the boom, then run a line rail to rail, with a Munter hitch - its basically a capsizable belay knot - (see Wikipedia; tapatalk isn't letting me post the link -). Get three 'biners and a section of line long enough, have something on deck to clip each side to, and it's easy peasy.
Old 07-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I've been told that my old '67 roller boom had some sort of weird vang set-up. I found this round, horseshoe shaped, heavy glass contraption that fits over the boom and sail so the boom and reefed sail can rotate inside it. I wondered what the thing was and after posting a picture, someone on one of these boards said he recognized it as an old Alberg vang. It was somehow rigged down to some kind of track on the deck I've been told??? The roller function of these booms was a very bad idea and I can't see any attachments. It seems both ideas were scrapped years ago. I also have a regular vang that that came with the boat. It has never been rigged up and sits, brand new, in a locker and I don't know if I want to use it or not. It would be nice at times to keep the boom from bouncing around when on a run but I'm thinking the boom brake I made up will probably accomplish almost the same thing once I get it installed.
Old 07-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Wow. This discussion just made me realize that I already have a block on the deck for rigging a preventer! May be a little hard to see in this photo, but, there is a block just aft of the shrouds, inboard of the rail. I thought is was just a fixed jib block, but, it didn't line up very well. Man, sometimes there are things right in your face that you don't see. To the OP: you will have discoveries like this (for years).

I'm not sure what the original purpose of that block was, but I doubt it was for rigging a preventer... if it was, it wasn't placed in a very suitable location, will offer very little in terms of leverage, and will very likely break or be torn free of the deck in the event of an accidental jibe or backwinded main in a breeze...

It might do for sailing in relatively tame conditions and flat water... but when the wind and seas begin to build, IMHO you really need to run the preventer from the end of the boom, up towards the bow... Anything run from mid-boom down to the rail, will risk simply breaking gear, quite possibly the boom...

I think the best solution is to have your preventer line(s) slightly shorter than the boom premanently fixed to the end of the boom, and stowed at a point near the gooseneck... When you need to rig the preventer, that ring is attached to a line long enough to run to a turning block near the bow, then back to the cockpit... This alleviates the need to ever lean outboard to rig a preventer, struggle with the ridiculous heights above deck some booms have reached these days, or to go forward to adjust or release it...

Amazes me how many boats I deliver that have no bulletproof preventer system already configured, I often have to cobble together something using docklines, or whatever... A bulletproof system on a larger boat offshore is hugely important, the forces can be immense, and an accidental jibe can do some serious damage to gear, not to mention easily result in injury to crew, or even a man overboard... This is a Hallberg-Rassy I brought back from the islands last month, we wound up doing a lot of DDW sailing, and I had to make up a jury-rigged preventer setup using a ridiculously oversized 3-strand dockline, which weighed a ton when it was wet...(We struggled to configure a usable foreguy/afterguy setup for the pole, as well, a real PITA) This boat had already been across the Atlantic a couple of times before, I couldn't believe there wasn't a more permanent preventer set-up already in place...

Your CIRQUE is a real beauty, btw...

Old 07-12-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The problem with running a preventer on narrow hulls like mine and Cirque is that you cannot get a good angle from boom to bow. My J m/m is only 13' and the boom is 15' long, extending to the aft of the cockpit. These are not the high aspect ratio boats of modern design. I have found that, keeping the preventer line inside the shrouds (as it must be), even large diam. line will stretch enough to allow the boom to cross over. A mid-boom attachment only gives you around 5' from gooseneck to attachment point. Having line outside the shrouds seems to me to be an invitation to taking the entire rig down should something go wrong. I've experimented with a lot of different ideas and have yet to nail down a bulletproof system for setting a preventer. I think a ladder style boom brake may be the best option to avoid 1. bending the boom should it dip into the water 2. uncontrolled jibes that can rip the boom off (ask me how I know this:-) 3. Taking the rig down with a failure where the preventer crosses the shrouds.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-12-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: sp