Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed?

I have an old 1966 Columbia 40 and I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to add a boom vang to her. Her boom is end-boom sheeted and is over 15-feet long and perfectly round aircraft aluminum with bronze cap at the end and very heavy and robust even at this age but I am wondering if a boom vang is still called for assuming that there is still play in the boom...due to it's length and despite it's thickness...Or are these old CCA booms so thick that vangs aren't needed to help keep mainsail shape really. Any thoughts welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed?

I don't think is has much to do with the boom stiffness. When off the wind you need something to hold the boom down.
Old 07-01-2013

watsongs is on a distinguished road
Re: Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed?

What he said.
Old 07-01-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsongs View Post
What he said.
Yes. Now that I've lived with a vang, I can't imagine life without it. It's probably the number on reason I wouldn't have a boat with a fully traditional rig.
Old 07-01-2013

Okay..so it is more of a control issue and not much of a boom flex sail shape issue...gotcha...I havent even sailed her yet but was curious...she has a huge mainsail and it's going to be an intersting singlehand..even for guy like myself who is fairly able and agile....though the first few times I hope to have some crew.The boom is quite heavy and may be able to stay down a good bit due to it's heavy makeup and bronze endcap where sheet attaches..but we'll just have to see how she behaves..Thanks for the swift replies.

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-01-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Okay..so it is more of a control issue and not much of a boom flex sail shape issue.

I think it is not a control issue as much as a sail shape issue, but not from boom flexing. During closehaul the mainsheet pulls the boom down. Off the wind with the sheets loose there is nothing but the weight of the boom to hold it down. In heavy winds the boom can lift and the sail will twist loosing shape and efficiency, when off the wind.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

You probably already have a vang aboard, but don't recognize it. It is likely a 3:1 or 4:1 tackle with fiddle blocks (and a cam on one end) and snap shackles on each end. One end attaches to a strap that goes around the boom, and the other end gets attached to the toerail or some other solid, convenient spot. Rig it so you pull UP on the tackle: pulling down exerts only your weight; you can exert much more force pulling UP. Look around in a locker for it; it's bound to be around somewhere, maybe even still attached to the boom strap.
Old 07-02-2013

Okay thanks for the replies...I will have to take another look...I have never seen any type of bolt eye or such where one would attach on coachroof so it would make sense it attaches elsewhere to the sides ...I am mostly self-taught and still have so much basic stuff to learn...afterall I am still unable to understand what lazyjacks are either and whether I need one of those to singlehand...but there are however many signs of progress in my education thus far so maybe some of these concepts will sink home sooner than later hopefully...I'll look for that equipment u spoke of.meanwhile the subject of lazyjacks may have to be on another thread

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-02-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I am not sure because when I owned a boat there was no vang and when I am on others I am not looking at the attachments just yanking on it when told to do so. But I believe the vang can be as described a simple block set of blocks giving some advantage with a cam cleat to lock it into place or release. What I described so far is simple block and tackle vang. A solid vang is a nice upgrade in terms of it acting to keep the boom perpendicular to the mast, acting just like a topping lift when dropping the sail or reefing leaving eliminating the need for a topping lift, which is nice.

The description of a strap on the boom is fairly accurate. It is usually an aluminum strap or ubolt under the bottom of the boom 1/3 to half way back from the goose neck. The front part of the vang should be a U-bolt or similar near the base of the mast. The angle from the base of the mast to boom will stay the same, while the angle and distance from anywhere else like the coach roof will change as the sail is let out. Putting this line to the toe rail would have it act more like a preventer, which you can use just a simple line for no need for mechanical advantage.

Lazy jacks are much simpler to describe, they a series of small lines led from maybe 2/3 up the mast to 2/3 back on the boom. If you are single or short handed, it helps to capture the sail as its dropped and keep the sail on the boom instead of the side decks or the water. You can then gather and fold the sail later. Some lazy jacks have a way to loosen them and secure them near the mast to prevent them from affecting sail shape when not needed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jephotog; 07-02-2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: solid vang info
Old 07-02-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that someone bought an older boat that wasn't equipped with a vang...or at least a vang in the sense that we're used to, today.

My Pearson 30 had no attachment points mounted on the mast or boom, and I could find no tackle onboard for one. The only evidence I ever found that a previous owner ever considered a vang, was a label on a cubby that said "boom vang/preventer".

I also found a set of tracks (not for jib cars) with padeye-cars on the deck. I suspect that the PO hooked something into the boom's foot groove, and attached it to the padeye-cars on these other tracks. This would achieve the same downward force of a modern vang, while also providing some preventer ability to prevent an unwanted gybe.

I have since installed a conventional, soft vang (block and tackle) on the boom and mast. I now use the odd-ball tracks and cars for inner jib sheets and spinnaker twings.
1973 Pearson 30 #255