Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004

prussell is on a distinguished road
Overland Boat Delivery??

I''m looking for some advice on reliable companies that can ship our 41-foot sailboat from either St. Pete, FL or Savannah to Atlanta. Any other advice you may have on overland shipping would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pierre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Overland Boat Delivery??

I would try to work out a deal where you are willing to wait until the driver can do a round trip, meaning haul a boat both ways. That saved me a lot of money when I shipped my boat from Maine to Annapolis, Md. Otherwise my advice is that a 41 footer is a huge boat for the lakes and so it might make more sense to sell the boat and buy something that is smaller and already up on the lake. Also I would strip the bottom paint and refresh your barrier coat as fresh water is much more likely to cause blisters than salt water. You may also want to pickle your heat exchange. I have heard stories of boats used in salt water having salt deposits break loose and block the heat exchanger after being in fresh water for a while.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Overland Boat Delivery??

I didn''t know fresh water is more likely to cause blisters than salt water.

Why is that?
Old 07-14-2004

gilligan01 is on a distinguished road
Overland Boat Delivery??

Finding a trucker that has a "dead head" comming this way is definetly the least expensive way to go. I work on boats for a living here on lake lanier doing bottom jobs, awl-grip, etc and there are several different outfits that seem to be very professional. Contact Pam at aqualand marina (770) 967-6811, she can give you a list of several people that can handle transporting your boat. dont worry about bein the biggest boat on the lake, I know of several sailboats in the 50 ft range as well as a 130'' houseboat ( why, I dont know?) but there are several big boats up here.
As for blisters you are very right! this lake breeds blisters like you would not believe!! I have seen boats more than one boat move from the salt water to this lake with no blisters and in two years time be covered up with them. the good thing is that I use trinidad sr botttom paint and can get 3+ years good service with it. As for why fresh water creates more blisters? I cant give you a scientific explianation, but most believe it is because fresh water molecules are smaller(thinner water) therfore can penetrate the pores in gelcoat much faster.
Let me know if you need any assistance on this end
Good luck
Mike Reynolds
Old 07-14-2004

akelley2 is on a distinguished road
Overland Boat Delivery??

I hadn''t heard that freshwater causes more blisters than salt, but it makes sense from a chemical point of view. Osmosis is the flow of water from an area of high concentration to an area of low water concentration. In polyester resin, there is no water, so the osmotic pressure (tendency of water to flow into it) is high. Saltwater is less concentrated water (more salt!) so the osmotic pressure is lower between saltwater and resin than freshwater and resin.

All that aside, I do not know whether the typically more acidic freshwater is harder on gelcoat than the slightly alkaline saltwater.
Old 07-18-2004

prussell is on a distinguished road
Overland Boat Delivery??

Mike and Jeff,
Thanks for the advice. We''ve been cruising for a year and have decided to move it to the lake so we can work on it and be closer to our home in Atlanta. We will be getting it ready for an Atlantic or Pacific crossing in a year or so and decided that the transport expense would be worth the convenience of being an hour away vs. having to drive to the East Coast on weekends.
Pierre

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.