Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

I''m 38, and while i have many years of sailing behind me, I have to work for the dream ahead of me. I may not reach it before age 55, with my income and such. What holds me steady in my dream is those I know who are not 55 and older, but those who are 60, and 70 plus.

Don''t give up on it!!

MaryBeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2002

Viceroy is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

Delighted to read about so-called "senior" sailors. At 57 with years of motor boating, I''ve taken and subsequently been teaching some of our local Power & Sail Squadron courses which will lead this year to a two week IPSA/CYA ocean certification, under sail. I''ve also met a wonderful lady through these courses and fellowship (who has become a great companion)and we will share in this venture as well as others in the future. I''ll add, that through my teaching experiences, I''ve found that the average age of my students keeps rising Good on ya all, regardless of age! Cheers, Richard.
Old 06-13-2002

mariasail is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

I celabrated the 45 annavirsey of my 9th birthday. I have lived on my 36ft. cutter for 8 yr. It is a life stile that keeps you young in body and in sperit. The kids think there mom is nuts but I hope to do some long range crusing soon.

Stefanie
Old 08-15-2002

harvh is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

Over 50 is not a big deal in sailing. Most of sailing like climbing is mental. I'' can''t think of a time that I have had any physical challenges that put me over the edge. I have had some dockings that did stress me mentally.

Since I have sailed for many years, I can''t claim to be new at it. At 56 I sail a C&C34+, sometimes single handed. Stowing the main is a challenge, but would be at age 32.
Old 11-09-2002

tho52mas is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

I am glad you OLD guys are writing saying you still do things at 70. I am 51 and bought a 37''er, have a 19''er, and a 12''er and sail them all. I never tire of it. It has gotten me in shape, but I suspect I do it because I might not be able to at 60! Seems I don''t have to worry.
Old 11-09-2002

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sailors over 55

Today is my 50th birthday...and I started sailing singlehanded 3 years ago. There are times that I wish for more energy and/or strength but as another put it earlier, it is really those anguishing times docking that are the hardest and that''s mental not physical! What I gain from sailing especially at this age...is well, priceless and well worth any wear on my middle aged body.
Old 11-19-2002

vitolv is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

Hey, bobbi! Nice to see your comments on here as well as the Precision site. I haven''t said too much over there, but I always monitor the conversations. I traded a O''Day 17'' for a P-28 last summer and am having a blast! I''m also 50 and have sailed for about 5 years so our experiences aren''t too different. Only thing is, in the Midwest our boats are in drydock for the winter and you are still sailing. Oh well, good sailing down in Raleigh!

Vitolv
Old 11-19-2002

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sailors over 55

So where Midwest are you? I have sailed a few times in Minnesota..most recently last month...in fact one of the pictures on my Sailnet member page is on the Mississippi. And if it makes you feel any better, my boat is out of the water right now for me to do some maintenance...so I am in withdrawal really bad!
I checked the Precision site for your location but you''re not registered...?!?! Or did I miss it somehow?
Anyway thanks for the message.
bobbi
Old 11-20-2002

vitolv is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

I''m in Sioux City, IA. My boat, Siren Song, is berthed in Yankton, SD on the Lewis and Clark Reservoir.
I''ll have to check why you didn''t find me on the Precision site as I read the messages every day.

Have a good one!

Vitolv
Old 11-21-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road
Sailors over 55

How relevant is age in all this? My take is that health rather than age is the issue. At 68 and a lifelong sailor, this Winter I''m moving down from an absolutely splendid Pearson 422 to a new Gemini catamaran, for which I have a fine partner, age 76 more or less, another lifelong sailor. While no transatlantics are on our short list, the New England- Chesapeake-Bahamas-Cuba venues have our attention. A related and delightful story: at our marina the 80-odd year old owner of s Sabre 34 reluctantly sold his boat because he didn''t have anybody to go out with him anymore--so the rumor goes along the pier! JLL