SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailors over 55 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/1010-sailors-over-55-a.html)

paleosalr 03-25-2001 05:28 AM

Sailors over 55

Writer working on article about "senior" sailors would like to hear from those who started sailing after age 55.
email jromig@tampabay.rr.com

halyardz 04-21-2001 06:46 AM

Sailors over 55

I''m re-starting at 54...and it all comes
back. The greatest challenge seems to be the
testing of upper body strength. Thank God
for blocks and winches.

firemanbob 09-03-2001 01:11 PM

Sailors over 55

At age 56 I''ve been a power boater all my life. I just purchased a 30'' pearson sloop and am now a rag bagger. about 15 years ago I owned an 18'' cat. I hope it all comes back to me. they say its like riding a bike. lets hope so. bob

wmann 09-04-2001 01:51 PM

Sailors over 55

Been a while since you posted this. Probably too late to be useful, but here goes.

Had 1 hour on a Hobie about 20 years ago. Sailing seemed like a reasonable thing to do, so...

Turned 55, took 4 hours of sailing instruction, bought a 16-foot boat, and (with my wife as an innocent crew member) proceeded to motor to the middle of the lake, raise both sails, and turn off the motor.

Estimate that we have 40-50 hours of experience since boat purchase on July 13. Beginning to feel comfortable in winds to 10-12 mph. Would like to extend skill set to 18-20 mph. (Maybe I should learn to reef?)

Biggest thrill so far: seeing somebody else struggling with the tiller and mainsail and realizing that they have less experience than I do.

Advice to seniors: Don''t wait another day. It requires physical strength and endurance to compensate for stupid beginner mistakes. Learn to sail smart while you''re still able to pay the price for your errors.

SHIMSHON 09-04-2001 05:51 PM

Sailors over 55

HMMM-never thought of myself as a "senior sailor" at age 55. Maybe I should rethink this whole thing.

gpilott 09-08-2001 03:37 PM

Sailors over 55

Don''t know what all this crap about "senior sailors" is. I''m still flying a fire fighting helicopter at 57 and plan to trade that adventure in for cruising under sail at 60. Once again those far away places with the strange sounding names are calling me, only a different mode of transport this time!

nauticalrich 09-17-2001 07:07 AM

Sailors over 55

At 58 and still going strong. Still sailing 25 ft kelt, with tiller. Wheel would probably be easier. Tow dink, put motor on it from boat. Lots of work but feel really good after a weekend cruise.
PS!!!!Two back surgeries, two rotator cup surgeries and lot of celebrex help.

God willing I''ll be able to sail away after I retire and keep on until I am 101 years young.

rgartley 04-01-2002 08:01 AM

Sailors over 55

Like nauticalrich, surgeries, celebrex and desire to "do". 60 this month. Cruise next month.

rclampitt 04-01-2002 06:32 PM

Sailors over 55

I am 71 and my wife is 59. We plan to sail a Cal 34 Mk III from Belingham WA to Seward AK this coming June. This is about a four week cruise with an ocean crossing of approx. 600 miles from Sitka AK to Seward AK. We do not expect to be taxed by this, although the Gulf of Alaska weather can be chancy. We do have experience, but are by no means more than amateur sailors. We intend to use this vessel to cruise Alaskan waters for the next few years and have a good time.

Peter_pan 04-01-2002 07:23 PM

Sailors over 55

My life began, or should I say I got a life at 55. I''m a power boater with a 37 foot cabin cruiser. She''s got a 250 mile range and I''ll cruise to Mexico from LA. in a blink. I just wish i''d have bought a sail boat instead. When I get back from salmon fishing in Alaska this summer I''ll consider a trade.
Ole Pete