Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bahama entry fees are rising, again?

While Nassau and Freeport may enjoy revenues from the jet set, the rest of the Bahamas relies heavily on the poor cruiser. Places like Hope Town or Little Harbour would hardly exist and George Town and Marsh Harbour would still be little sleepy towns in the out islands of the Bahamas if not for the cruisers dollars.

As I said earlier, Bimini almost died after the last increase.

Don't sell your impact short.
Minnewaska likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I agree that cruisers and pilots are a big part of the out island economy. However, I still think the pilots will spend more, as a matter of necessity. Just drawing the distinction between the two cruising permit fees. I bet they collect the difference in revenue on the fuel bill alone. Maybe some stinkpotters take on fuel, not sure what those knuckleheads actually do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-03-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree that cruisers and pilots are a big part of the out island economy. However, I still think the pilots will spend more, as a matter of necessity. Just drawing the distinction between the two cruising permit fees. I bet they collect the difference in revenue on the fuel bill alone. Maybe some stinkpotters take on fuel, not sure what those knuckleheads actually do.
A friend of mine watched as a mega-yacht filled up about a month ago. The bill: $70,000+. Yikes! It wouldn't take too many of those transactions to boost a local economy. We ragmen are pretty stingy in comparison.
Old 07-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I bow to the mega-yacht superior fuel consumption. Lunatics.

I suspect most carry so much, they don't take on any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-03-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

On occasion I have noticed actual angry reactions from stinkpotters when I fill my tank with < 10 gallons. It's as if I don't really qualify for dock space for that small amount of fuel.
Old 07-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

You have to remember that most of those in the Bahamian government charged with making this sort of decision, are gonna be based in Nassau... What they primarily see, is megayachts coming into marinas like Atlantis, spending perhaps a thousand bucks a night simply for dockage, and know those owners won't bat an eye over this sort of increase...

I would suspect the Out Island business community is as annoyed by this increase as we are, however, as that's where people like myself primarlly spend our money, what little we do...

Having said that, however, after visiting the Exumas 2 winters ago after not having been through there in several years, I was stunned by the increase of charter megayachts operating in those waters... Places like Highborne and Staniel Cay are profiting quite handsomely from the charter trade, and could care less about visitors like me, it's the big fish they're after...

In Nassau, when they think "cruiser", they're really thinking "Well-Heeled Vacationers" flown into yachts that charter for $100K/week, at a minimum... Such "cruisers" might spend more in one night dining at Harbour Island's Rock House, than I likely will over a lifetime of knocking about the Bahamas in my little tub...

DougSabbag likes this.
Old 07-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2
great I love the idea of spending $400 so that I can like most people I know have things stolen
While in the Bahamas. if they did more to protect us from the criminals I would say no prob to the increase but we know that will not happen so I will not revisit any more ---
I've been going to the Bahamas for about 15 years and never had anything stolen. I've never locked anything unless I was in Nassau, which is a big city so I lock things like I do in Miami.
Likewise, I have never had any issue whatsoever with security in the Bahamas - though I tend to avoid Nassau, and certainly take the appropriate caution if stopping there...

Sadly, only place I've ever had anything stolen from a boat, was back home in the States...
Old 07-03-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

FYI, the last time we stopped in a Bahamian Island it was South Cat Cay. That is an uninhabited island - south of Bimini - and nobody asked for any money.

We had the whole place to ourselves for days. :-)
Old 07-03-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

According to waterwaycruisingguide.com/newsupdate.php?area=9 the new fees are some what up in the air. Marina Operators of the Bahamas are referring to them as unofficial but, neverthe less, are encouraging members and partners to be aware of the changes.

With this change there are 3 fee schedules and MOB advises to be prepared to pay anyone of the 3.
Old 07-03-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

I know for a fact that most sport fishing boats here in Miami and southern Florida do not pay the fee. It is too high for a short visit for fishing. Bimini Island does not have a custom boat nor do they want one. They are in dire straits and will take any business that comes there from the sport fisherman. The sport fisherman fly the Bahamian flag without checking in and the officials look the other way.
Like others said, they spend a lot of money on fuel, hotel and restaurants.
The cheap sailors that come spend very little money compared to these guys plus the mega yachts. They will get there money from us one way or another.
I had a chat with the Bahama officials at the Miami boat show last Feb on this very subject. That is exactly what they told me.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.