Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

indicajames is on a distinguished road
help choosing a boat to suit my purpose

hello everyone
i need some pointer help or advice i am looking into buying my first liveaboard and i want it to be the right choice ive read a book and it saysthat i have to choose my liveaboard to suit my purpose from it i know what it is i am looking for i know what i want it for and i know what i want from it but i am having a very hard time trying to find that right one

i have a very basic lifestyle i dont need tv or other entertainments i just want a liveaboard that i can use for my purpose so what id like to ask for is if i list what i want can you give me any makes and models i could look for to help narrow my search??

i am hoping to travel frequently and crossing oceans
it can tolerate any weather
has sails and engine
can be crewed by one person or 2 persons
good power pack for electric
MUST have a tiller
easy to handle
i am not looking for fast paced sailing but cruising along
easy to maintain and maintenance

if you know of any that you think fits this can you name the make and models for me to view? any help would be a great start in my search
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: help choosing a boat to suit my purpose

An idea of your budget would be good.

Also have you seen any boats you like. If so what are they. people then can give you pros and cons.

People live aboard and voyage on a huge variety of boats, Shane Acton [ hero ] lived on an 18 ft plywood day sailor, he also circumnavigated on it.

Your attitude will have more to do with success or failure than the boat you buy.
Old 07-02-2013

indicajames is on a distinguished road

Between 20-30,000 (uk £)

I'm not looking for luxurious living just good water fuel food storage I've looke at a few makes I'm not really fussed if I am at all honest as long as it works and I can cover long distances in all weathers I have viewed some locally but the ones I have seen lack in safety and need major repairs
Old 07-02-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

It would help also to know where you live. Based on your price range I would assume you are in the UK, which would change your boat selection choices. While i am sure you will get plenty of responses here, this same question is asked at least once a month, a search here may lead to dozens of similar threads.

20-30,000 (uk £) , what is that in "real money"? Sorry had to say that as I heard that line from a stupid american sorority girl once when she was quoted a price in Swiss Francs.

I'll just throw out an Alberg 35 for your first choice. But instead of picking a list of boats to start looking for maybe read up on boat designs and have parameters for what you want and look at boat available locally. I suggest this book to start off.
Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: John Vigor: 9780071376167: Amazon.com: Books Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: John Vigor: 9780071376167: Amazon.com: Books

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jordan. The biggest limitation will be what's available for sale locally. We could tell you to that a Tartan 30 would be ideal for you, but if you can't find one locally, then the advice isn't really going to do you any good. Look around at the "for sale" ads and get a sense of the manufacturers whose boats come up frequently. Then come back and ask here about them.

That being said, I've read very positive comments about Westerly's. The twin keel design seems to be well suited for the conditions you'll see in the UK. I'm not sure if there are any that are big enough for comfortable living aboard, but if you can squeeze into a 25-26 foot boat, then you may be OK. I've seen some on this side of the Atlantic for prices well below your budget, which would leave you a good bit to be able to spruce up whatever you buy.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

If I were you I would also visit local marinas where people live on their boats, buy them beer, look at their boats up close and listen to what they say. Gradually you will develop the idea of boat size and features you want, based on your expected needs.
Old 07-02-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

An Alberg 35 was the first boat I ever sailed on. My friend paid $15,000. I think that's a good choice. There are actually quite alot of boats that will work. I've thought about this too and it isn't like cars. Like, if you wanted to take a safari through Africa you'd get an d land rover or land cruiser ed of story. There are so many good blue water boats in that price range you should find some locally that you like and then run the names by people here. Because not all boats should cross oceans. You have a very good budget. It's right in there to get a 30 foot sail ready ocean cruiser.