Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Stop the horns? Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
...or the NY/NJ/suburban Philly folks that move out by me to be "in the country"; then bitch about the stank from the pig farms
Near me in Florida, a woman wanted to open a daycare on her property.
It was zoned agricultural so she need a waver. There were several objections.
So she withdraw the petition, put up a fence, and brought in 100 pigs.
They complained but the board simply said it's zoned agricultural, perfectly fine.
Several months later, she again petitioned for the waver. There were no objections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Stop the horns? Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post

Kinda reminds me of the people around here who buy the cheaper property near the airport flight path and then complain about the airplane noise, and want to restrict flight operations of a major international airport!
they tried that here. I live under one of the lessor used flight paths into Atlantic City International. Across the stree they built all these -huge- townhomes that cost a few hundred grand to buy.

As soon as the airport needed to use the flightpath.. the complaints started to roll in. Thankfully being a township and not a town or a city, they all fell on deaf ears as a -lot- of people make their living at the airport and it's connected airbase and FAA tech centre

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Remember, one third of the population has mental health issues. You have to ignore a huge chunk of the population.

and, btw, if two of your friends are normal, it's you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-03-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Remember, one third of the population has mental health issues. You have to ignore a huge chunk of the population.

and, btw, if two of your friends are normal, it's you.
And another consideration!

My youngest son, now 30! Yikes! is frequently reminding me when he senses my frustration about some other human's "contribution", "Dad, remember, half the population is below average!" Ha!

Down
Old 07-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whroeder View Post
Near me in Florida, a woman wanted to open a daycare on her property.
It was zoned agricultural so she need a waver. There were several objections.
So she withdraw the petition, put up a fence, and brought in 100 pigs.
They complained but the board simply said it's zoned agricultural, perfectly fine.
Several months later, she again petitioned for the waver. There were no objections.
I love this...
Old 07-05-2013

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I love how, instead of simply providing an explanation, the NY Waterway ferries passed the buck.
Of course they did: Those ferries have career bureaucrats at the top and you know how they are....

And as far as other people's intelligence is concern; Are they intelligent??
I know that they are not even close.

One other small detail: When I worked commercially, I normally used the VHF Ch 16/13 to let people know that I'm moving my vessel. Being neighborly to the homes around the marine basin. But not everyone has VHF or even the sense to listen to the appropriate radio channels.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 07-05-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

true Boasun.. but it was a Kayaker that was run down that started this. How many Kayaks have VHFs? I know I would because I know about them and how they can save your butt, but would the average Kayaker even know that handheld VHF radios evist.. or that they are used on the water?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-05-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

We have commuter ferries that go back and forth between downtown and the North Shore every 15min in peak times, and they have always sounded their horns upon departure. It just makes sense! They are hidden away inside a terminal where you can't see them, and when they leave they go pretty fast! If you are not familiar with the waterfront they can take you by surprise very easily. I monitor harbor traffic when I am in that area and I don't think I have ever heard their departures announced over vhf.
Hull#101
Old 07-05-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Audible signals of intent have great value. They get delivered even when the recipient is looking at another situation or doing something that prevents radio communication. It shouldn't become a "variable" in the regs. Especially for fast vessels hurrying to meet a tight schedule. It is a CYA for the skipper.

Down
Old 07-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Battery Park City never was cheap housing, from the day it was built it was premium priced. Sounds like Wolfgang has way too much money if he could move down there with no knowledge of the neighborhood (the Battery, duh!) and now finds it inconvenient that he's living in a working harbor. Of course, the real luxury buildings all have double or triple-glazed windows to keep out the noise.

Maybe Woflgang needs to move next to an elevated subway line, so he can complain about those damned trains rumbling by all night instead?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.