SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stop the horns? Yikes!

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  seafrontiersman 
#1 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Of course they did: Those ferries have career bureaucrats at the top and you know how they are....

And as far as other people's intelligence is concern; Are they intelligent??
I know that they are not even close.

One other small detail: When I worked commercially, I normally used the VHF Ch 16/13 to let people know that I'm moving my vessel. Being neighborly to the homes around the marine basin. But not everyone has VHF or even the sense to listen to the appropriate radio channels.

#4 ·
Amazing! They live in a major urban center, are fortunate enough to be able to afford to live close to the water, but they want the whole city to be quiet so they can sleep!

Kinda reminds me of the people around here who buy the cheaper property near the airport flight path and then complain about the airplane noise, and want to restrict flight operations of a major international airport!

#12 ·
Kinda reminds me of the people around here who buy the cheaper property near the airport flight path and then complain about the airplane noise, and want to restrict flight operations of a major international airport!
they tried that here. I live under one of the lessor used flight paths into Atlantic City International. Across the stree they built all these -huge- townhomes that cost a few hundred grand to buy.

As soon as the airport needed to use the flightpath.. the complaints started to roll in. Thankfully being a township and not a town or a city, they all fell on deaf ears as a -lot- of people make their living at the airport and it's connected airbase and FAA tech centre

#6 ·
I'm out there with you. Or when a farmer subdivides and the new people complain about the farm next to them selling to a developer. For a lot of farmers, that's their retirement plan.

But in the city aren't there car noises all the time? Car horns, delivery trucks, etc? What's one more horn in the mix?

#14 ·
And another consideration!

My youngest son, now 30! Yikes! is frequently reminding me when he senses my frustration about some other human's "contribution", "Dad, remember, half the population is below average!" Ha!

Down

#17 ·
true Boasun.. but it was a Kayaker that was run down that started this. How many Kayaks have VHFs? I know I would because I know about them and how they can save your butt, but would the average Kayaker even know that handheld VHF radios evist.. or that they are used on the water?

#18 ·
We have commuter ferries that go back and forth between downtown and the North Shore every 15min in peak times, and they have always sounded their horns upon departure. It just makes sense! They are hidden away inside a terminal where you can't see them, and when they leave they go pretty fast! If you are not familiar with the waterfront they can take you by surprise very easily. I monitor harbor traffic when I am in that area and I don't think I have ever heard their departures announced over vhf.

#19 ·
Audible signals of intent have great value. They get delivered even when the recipient is looking at another situation or doing something that prevents radio communication. It shouldn't become a "variable" in the regs. Especially for fast vessels hurrying to meet a tight schedule. It is a CYA for the skipper.

Down

#20 ·
Battery Park City never was cheap housing, from the day it was built it was premium priced. Sounds like Wolfgang has way too much money if he could move down there with no knowledge of the neighborhood (the Battery, duh!) and now finds it inconvenient that he's living in a working harbor. Of course, the real luxury buildings all have double or triple-glazed windows to keep out the noise.

Maybe Woflgang needs to move next to an elevated subway line, so he can complain about those damned trains rumbling by all night instead?

#22 ·
oh look.. they are also complaining that the ferries use their engines to hold them in the terminal by "gunning their engines"

Sorry, but you moved next to a working seaport, you should have expected some noise.

Once I was a little sympathetic as the article stated that sounding the horns was "new" but now that I see that the ferries using their engines to stay in the terminal is a "topic of lively discussion" I can see that it is just somebody who spent too much money to live on the water and only now realizing what that means..

#23 ·
"I feel your pain. When I was growing up. I lived in an apartment in Brooklyn over a Chinese laundry a block away from the overhead trains."
YES! The schmuck's letter got forwarded to someone who knows exactly how life works. Thirty years ago, the Battery was a desolate wasteland outside of business hours. And before the landfill from the World Trade Center, Battery Park City simply didn't exist. (About 1/3 of lower Manhattan is actually landfill out from the original shores.)

So when some johnny come lately complains "Gee, I moved into a seaport and its noisy"...ROFLMAO. They should give the poor bstard two free tickets for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride and see what he's got to say after that fun.

#24 ·
Funny thread! reminds me of the person who suggested airplanes should have horns to help traffic pattern congestion at uncontrolled airports.

Where do the people come from? Well....just gotta be patient, natural selection does take time :)

#25 ·
In Canada many of the lightstations are losing their fog signals. I understand folks who had waterfront property nearby were disturbed by the sounds.

#26 ·
I Don't think I've ever heard the Hudson River ferries use their horns when backing out of their slip. I know it wasn't used the last time I took it from Weehawken to Mid-town. The SI ferry uses one blast as it goes forward in both directions. I'm trying hard to remember if I've heard the East River ferries use theirs, clearly they are now.
When I had a slip on the Hudson the helicopters created more of a constant drone than the ferries

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.