SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Stop the horns? Yikes! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101013-stop-horns-yikes.html)

downeast450 07-02-2013 12:04 PM

Stop the horns? Yikes!

Letter: Help stop the ferry boat horns | BatteryPark.TV

Amazing!

Down

BubbleheadMd 07-02-2013 12:35 PM

Re: Stop the horns? Yikes!

Oh my Christ...I laughed out loud when I read this.

DRFerron 07-02-2013 12:38 PM

I love how, instead of simply providing an explanation, the NY Waterway ferries passed the buck.

SchockT 07-02-2013 02:11 PM

Amazing! They live in a major urban center, are fortunate enough to be able to afford to live close to the water, but they want the whole city to be quiet so they can sleep!

Kinda reminds me of the people around here who buy the cheaper property near the airport flight path and then complain about the airplane noise, and want to restrict flight operations of a major international airport!

deltaten 07-02-2013 02:24 PM

...or the NY/NJ/suburban Philly folks that move out by me to be "in the country"; then bitch about the stank from the pig farms and horse and buggy people taking up *their* road! :grrr:

Just pi$$es me off a bit

DRFerron 07-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaten (Post 1053369)
...or the NY/NJ/suburban Philly folks that move out by me to be "in the country"; then bitch about the stank from the pig farms and horse and buggy people taking up *their* road! :grrr:

Just pi$$es me off a bit

I'm out there with you. Or when a farmer subdivides and the new people complain about the farm next to them selling to a developer. For a lot of farmers, that's their retirement plan.

But in the city aren't there car noises all the time? Car horns, delivery trucks, etc? What's one more horn in the mix?

mad_machine 07-02-2013 04:50 PM

If you read through the comments.. Supposedly the horn blowing is recent. The CG came down on the Ferries after a Kayaker was run down

DRFerron 07-02-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1053466)
If you read through the comments.. Supposedly the horn blowing is recent. The CG came down on the Ferries after a Kayaker was run down

Ah. When this was first posted earlier, no one had yet left any comments.

downeast450 07-02-2013 05:22 PM

Yup! Seems like that's all it took!

Pesky horns!

Down

downeast450 07-03-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 1053302)
Oh my Christ...I laughed out loud when I read this.

I am away from home this week. I told the Admiral about this over Skype this morning. She burst out laughing, too!

Down