This is what I call a motivated college student... afloat. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

Vartok is on a distinguished road
Re: This is what I call a motivated college student... afloat.

I have been living on my boat for over 5 years and I will say this: Being 6'2" and having a cabin height of 5'10" can be frustrating at times.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I have to suggest that option to my daughter, as she wanted to study in one of the coastal cities.
Old 07-02-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Why should we not be able to default when our congress defaults annually?
Were just following the examples of our elders you know- maybe YOUR generation is the problem.
My generation wants green technologies- yours just wants green. Default Default Default until the middle and lower classes foot the bill.
Your high horse has some broken legs.
(ive only 30k in debt for a BS- yet why did I need to pay 30K? because education from life and learning has been made worthless by YOUR generation. Now I have to have a piece of paper saying I am educated to get a good job. I know countless people with degrees who are ignorant AND uneducated. My education exist inside my mind- no piece of paper determines my self-worth)
Write to congress. Dont waste our time.
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I paid for my own college and living expenses by working nights. What a novel concept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

When you go to law school now you have to agree to work LESS THAN 20 hours a week as a condition of admittance in many cases

Regardless even at a state school you would be hard pressed to earn enough to pay the full cost at current rates

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-02-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I paid for my own college and living expenses by working nights. What a novel concept.
Bob, I certainly respect that, but these were different times. All my 3 kids worked really hard while in college (youngest one still is), but the jobs they were able to find paid minimum wage. Sometimes they worked 30 to 40 hours per week (hen they were given the hours by the employer) but you can't pay for college and your living expenses with that kind of money. I helped them some and they had to take some loans. Where I live (NC), the economy is terrible and jobs for young kids are hard to find (unemployment around 10%) and they pay very little. The kids are not lazy - it is a different reality than 40 years ago.
Old 07-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Bob, I certainly respect that, but these were different times. All my 3 kids worked really hard while in college (youngest one still is), but the jobs they were able to find paid minimum wage. Sometimes they worked 30 to 40 hours per week (hen they were given the hours by the employer) but you can't pay for college and your living expenses with that kind of money. I helped them some and they had to take some loans. Where I live (NC), the economy is terrible and jobs for young kids are hard to find (unemployment around 10%) and they pay very little. The kids are not lazy - it is a different reality than 40 years ago.
It sure is and unless you have kids in school now, you may not know the realities. The average yearly cost for a state college is about the same as the median individuals salary in my state(22-24k). That's their parents full time salary, which has dropped in the last 2 years.

For a private college, it's twice the median full time workers income, about the same as the household median income in my state.

Worse yet, a college degree is more important for this generation to make a decent living. Without it, you're unlikely to escape poverty.

Things have changed.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-02-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
You have a beautiful family
Not one, but TWO hot babes!

Congrats to the daughter.
Old 07-02-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Glad people see the disconnect. My generation is left holding the bills from those before us. Were expected to clean up the mess while providing you all with healthcare and social security to live to 100 while we bus tables and take drive thru orders just to make rent. So loans loans and more loans to get an education that results in a piece of paper with pretty manuscript saying how intelligent we now our. As though we were idiots before. Thanks grandpa and grandma, dad and mom. What do i owe now? About 240000 thousand? Or was that before the debt hit 16.7 trillion.
anyway this is gen discussion not off topic so i wont harp any longer but if i could default i sure as hell would but then why would i? Rich folks would just pass the bill to the lower and middle class. Crooks.
Old 07-02-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

back on topic...

pretty smart of the kid to trim his expenses by living aboard.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha