Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
This is what I call a motivated college student... afloat.

Boss.

or www.walesonline.co.uk/news/student-saves-5600-ditching-rent-4341661‎

From the United Kingdom:

"Student lives on boat for 14 months to avoid that student debt thing"

"...Pearce estimates that he saved enough.... to cover his Master's program costs and then sail the Golden Cloud back home to the Isle of Wight after graduation."

Fair winds, smart chap.

peeeeckhure:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: This is what I call a motivated college student... afloat.

Gee whizz, he lived on his boat for 14 months. That must have been a tremendous sacrifice.
DRFerron, groggy and jimgo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I suppose to non-boaters this is unique.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-02-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Among the I-Pad/Blackberry/Android/video game generation, it is not exactly the most common living arrangement. And Great Britain isn't all sunshine and gentle breeze.
rikhall likes this.
Old 07-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Among the I-Pad/Blackberry/Android/video game generation, it is not exactly the most common living arrangement. And Great Britain isn't all sunshine and gentle breeze.
My daughter graduated last week from St. Andrews University in Scotland, hers was the 600th graduating class!

Part of the Ipad-Video game gen. she was thinking the boat was pretty nice digs for a college kid. But she's a sailor.

EU kids pay a lot less so she did the numbers and could see how this kid was smart.

The sun was shining in St Andrews last week.

rikhall and jimgo like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-02-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Well, I came in too late. The link is not werking anymore.

If he were my son, I will beat the **** out him if he ducks his responsibility not paying back his student loan. I repaid all my student loans plus interests.

No children will ever default their obligation. But then my children have never had a need for student loans. Their father was/is a sucker. He pays dearly. My daughter's tuition. BS in biomedical engineer $176K, MS in Biomedical Engineering $55K and Doctor in Medicine will be at $320K and more, plus my credit card and car with insurance.

Where is today's value? Where is our society headed?

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
My daughter graduated last week from St. Andrews University in Scotland, hers was the 600th graduating class!

Part of the Ipad-Video game gen. she was thinking the boat was pretty nice digs for a college kid. But she's a sailor.

EU kids pay a lot less so she did the numbers and could see how this kid was smart.

The sun was shining in St Andrews last week.

You have a beautiful family

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-02-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

He wasn't ducking out of repaying a loan. Because he was living on the boat that was less money he had to borrow to begin with.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
You have a beautiful family
Hey thanks! The article doesn't say anything about skipping his debt. My daughter says EU kids get subsidized to about half the tuition cost we pay (being from out of the country).

EU kids get a living stipend loan and she figures he didn't have to take that part on so didn't incur that debt. His tuition is all he's paying for.

In the case of a Scottish student at St Andrews, tuition was about a 1000 pounds a semester(about 1600 US dollars), that is going up next year but will still be less than half.

This kid just took advantage of today soft used boat values and put a fixer upper to use as housing.

Your kids are lucky, I helped but mine will have some loans. US kids pay full boat in the EU but the cost of her Scottish masters at a great school was no more(less in many instances) than US options we had. It was a priceless adventure for all of us.
rockDAWG likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
He wasn't ducking out of repaying a loan. Because he was living on the boat that was less money he had to borrow to begin with.
My bad. I couldn't read the article.

Over the years, I have become very critical about defaulting loans in the U.S. If I have to live within my means, so should everyone else.
jimgo likes this.

Fine Print: