Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: I want a nautical tattoo :)

A very good friend of mine (who loves ink and worked in a studio) had 'Your Name' tattoed on his left butt cheek. Pretty Funny. He didn't mind fights, so that you know!

As for me? Not a single one. It is not that I am fundamentally against them, it is just that I even get tired of staring at the same beautiful island off my cockpit. I cannot imagine wanting to have anything on my body that I would have to see forever. I am too much of a gypsy I guess.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Take a Sharpie and draw whatever you feel like on yourself.

Then, when you realize that wasn't such a great idea, you can just take a shower.
Old 07-03-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

The problem with tattoos is that they distort with age as the skin/body changes. We've all seen the older lady with what used to be a butterfly on her shoulder now looking more like a vulture

Tattoos I believe have their roots on Polynesia and consequently they are very popular in New Zealand - probably half of the local population has a tattoo of some sort.

And maybe it's just NZ but if wealth were measured inversely to the number of tattoos, we would break all the rules - there are many very wealthy "ordinary" people (not rockstars or athletes) that have several tattoos.

Personally I don't need a tattoo to identify me - I have a lot of memorable scars from stupid things that I have done over the years, my family would have no problem identifying me

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-03-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I have a couple of tats, and I have worked in offices and been in meetings with VP's from MAJOR oil companies and was not the only one with a tattoo. What I have noticed is that none of them had their baby's momma's name tattooed on their neck where it could not be covered with a polo shirt. If you get a tattoo get it where it is covered when you have on a suit and tie or a long sleeve button up shirt.

Tattoos on the neck and face make a statement..." I do not want a job, ever."
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 07-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My grandmother smoked her entire life and died at the age of 98 from natural causes. Never a hint of lung cancer or heart disease. There are always exceptions to the averages and I was sure some would identify them.

I have no beef with anyone (other than my kids) having a tattoo. It's a personal decision. I considered it as a kid and am glad I didn't.

But the overal stats remain pretty clear. I've read several articles that draw the same conclusion. The percentage of people with tattoos goes way up in lower income brackets and way down for people with higher education.

In this study I googled:

http://bxscience.enschool.org/ourpag...24/tattoos.pdf

40% of high school dropouts had a tat. Only 29% that graduated from high school and 14% that graduated from college. I have seen others will similar findings.

Clearly tats aren't causal to why one would or would not achieve an education. The point is that society will continue to assess the averages and, if they see one, probably assume one is less likely than someone without one to have a higher education. Just a theory.
The study also has income distribution, political affiliation, etc. but I didn't look closely enough to see if they compare it to overall distribution to see if they're different.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-04-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
40% of high school dropouts had a tat. Only 29% that graduated from high school and 14% that graduated from college. I have seen others will similar findings.
Most actors do NOT have tats. many people think that celebrities are all about tats an stuff but its just not true.

Sure some actors have them but the vast majority dont because it limits them to roles.
Makeup just can not cover tattoos because its rubbed off by clothing, and rubbed by prosthetics and glues, gums and crap splatted all over an actors skin. Sure theres always makeup artists on set but they are busy during 'finals' and unless an actor is paying their own makeup artist they wont get special treatment.

When you see a tattoo in a movie or tv show its not the actors tat... its the designers idea of the characters tat... and its a temporary job.

If young people think tats are cool then tell them they wont get jobs in the too cool to mention dream job!

Mark
Old 07-04-2013

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

Says it all;

Old 07-04-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

5 point star on the upper thumb
Cal-29
Old 07-04-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Arrgh...nope did not need either of those images in my far too fertile imagination ....nope...
Old 07-04-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

For the records,

a. I strictly "prohibit" my kids getting tattoo or piecing (except earlobe for girl).
b. No, running away from home is not permitted either.
c. I told them very early in their life, human right does not apply to them.

However, they only need to do three things in their early life:

1. Study and study more. I only accept A's.
2. Practice piano
3. Clean their room

Lucky me, so far so good. They turned out all well behaved and good tax payers.

Of course I have well passed their age long ago, I can do what ever I want: I want my tattoo. No I don't need you to give me a job. If you are smart and work hard, I won't give you a job, but I can give you a career.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.