Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Re: I want a nautical tattoo :)

Rock

Didn't realize you were a boomer, go for it;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Rock

Didn't realize you were a boomer, go for it;
You need to add "old" in front of boomer.

Can't go to such extreme, my children may disown me forever.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-04-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
You need to add "old" in front of boomer.

Can't go to such extreme, my children may disown me forever.
Or have you committed LOL, I have two, but they are above my wrist and if I felt I needed to cover them with a shirt I would be able to do that no problem.

I have never had anyone even comment on them, even when I wore a shirt with short sleeves. Since I have always been fortunate enough to be an independent contractor or business owner, I have never had to worry about getting hired by someone.

I have never given a man a job, I have paid men a fair wage for a day's work. I always expect to get what I pay for and pay for what I get. This is just a good way to live and a good way to treat people.
Old 07-04-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have committed to have a small (1 x 1 or 1.5" x 1.5") tattoo, one ink color and simple design (non-intricate). I am still leaning on the anchor design. I am in no rush since I am still sailing others boats.

I am collecting various designs. I have a Suicide Girls model whom is a fourth year U of Art student in Philly and was a Tattoo artist. She will make a design for me to consider. We will see.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Yes, I have committed to have a small (1 x 1 or 1.5" x 1.5") tattoo, one ink color and simple design (non-intricate). I am still leaning on the anchor design. I am in no rush since I am still sailing others boats.

I am collecting various designs. I have a Suicide Girls model whom is a fourth year U of Art student in Philly and was a Tattoo artist. She will make a design for me to consider. We will see.
Cool, I hope you will show us what you come up with here, I would be interested to see it. I have two, and I am not getting any more, but the two are memories that I can look at and they bring me back to the time when each was done.

I have had mine a long time and I never notice them unless I have someone see it and ask me a question about them. One is on my right forearm on the front, and the other is on my right upper arm, the top one no one really sees unless I have my shirt off, which is not often LOL.
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Here is some information on nautical tattoos.

Traditional Old-school Nautical Sailor Tattoos: Meanings, Origins & Ideas

I think a nautical tattoo should be something you get in a foreign port at the end of a long night of celebrating landfall after a long sea passage. Something you can either cherish or regret for the rest of your life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Cool, I hope you will show us what you come up with here, I would be interested to see it. I have two, and I am not getting any more, but the two are memories that I can look at and they bring me back to the time when each was done.

I have had mine a long time and I never notice them unless I have someone see it and ask me a question about them. One is on my right forearm on the front, and the other is on my right upper arm, the top one no one really sees unless I have my shirt off, which is not often LOL.
I have plenty of scars for memories. Hoping I don't get another of those. Enjoy your tats. A favorite friend, brilliant, gorgeous, fun, collects tats. To each their own. I jst don't get it? Yet! Ha!
Old 07-05-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road

I don't have any tattoos and don't condone them, though my wife is a fan though she doesn't have any either.

My suggestion would be to use a non-toxic light-fast pigment ink, so that it's color is maintained over time, and it doesn't do you any harm. For black there is carbon-black ink, in which the oldest manuscripts in the world are written, I believe from China, non-toxic ones are available such as speedball super black. It's made from carbon, and other than water we're carbon-based life-forms so is quite safe.

For blue, I don't really know any completely-safe ones, though Phthalocyanine Blue is probably your best bet.
rockDAWG likes this.

Last edited by elspru; 07-05-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I had an old Chief with Port and Stbd running lights on his butt cheeks. Another popular one was "twin screws on the fantail" if you weren't one for running lights.

The best tattoo I ever saw was on a gorgeous Korean girl. It was a "stamp" on her derriere that said "Made In Korea" and looked just like a circular customs ink stamp. Odd time to begin laughing uncontrollably, but you don't expect that one.

I love tattoos, albeit in moderation. I only have a handful, but none are visible in work dress. Tattoo work can be some of the best artwork you'll ever see in your life, and all often it's the worst. You get what you pay for in tattoo work just like everything else.

My favorite tattoo story is when we pulled into Amsterdam. My buddy got the shape of the US tattooed on his butt and filled with the flag. It really did look great. Being July 4th, a local NED news crew happened to be there and put him on TV. American sailor getting flag tattoo on his nation's birthday... they interviewed him in the street and had him drop his pants, peel the bandage and show it off. Good wholesome feelgood TV- in the Netherlands I guess!

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 07-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.