Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Is Anyone Else Scared?

Of diving in murky water? Im going ocean sailing tomorrow at first light. Today, this morning, in the next hour! I have to dive down and replace my prop shaaft zinc. I figure while im there i should give the prop and hull a once over with a chissel and stiff bristled brush.

To be honest im already nervous. Tide is going out i have plenty of depth but all the rain here has reduced visibility to two feet or less.. ill be in my snorkel and mask and man it just freaks me out. Im REALLY not looking forward to this and wondered if there were any other cowardly lions to make me feel less like a scared dufus?

Plus there is a mean tarpon hanging around my boat. Hes been eyeing me for days just daring me to get in.. i think hes got plans of malicious intent...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Anyone Else Scared?

Let someone nearby know you are down there and to keep an eye on you.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 07-03-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

The only problem you have is feeling rushed by your schedule.

Hook the tarpon and have some fun playing him. He will leave when you cut the leader to release him. Wait for the rain to stop so visibility under water improves. Replace the zinc and forget about cleaning the hull. Do it another day when you have nothing else to do. Your hull speed doesn't really matter. You are not going racing. You already have the toughest part of the journey behind you. YOU HAVE THE BOAT!

Relax and enjoy!

Down
elspru likes this.
Old 07-03-2013
Flying Scot 966

splastiko is on a distinguished road

Pretty crazy, in Southwest Louisiana, or most of Louisiana that is.. clear water is unheard of. 2 feet of visibility IS clear water here
Old 07-03-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

"ABSOLUTELY NO FISHING FROM BOAT OR DOCKS. NO EXCEPTIONS!"
That is one of like 8 signs posted here. Damn protected tarpon. He knows it to. Rubs it in my face every day when he swoops up for fish and i catch that long dorsal fin and sharp crescent tail.
i think i will take your advice and wimp out on the bottom scrub.
i already dived once a week back to free my centerboard i had left up and got stuck and the whole time im like ughhhhhhhhhh im so scurred. This from a guy who would fight on land willingly but its like murkey water just takes all my brave away hence the cowardly lion comment.

Spearfishing is my fav thing to do in the world! In the abacos. I guess im spoiled.

Well... deep sigh. I guess its time to get to work... oh man oh man
Old 07-03-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

The Chesapeake Bay is completely obscured during the summer. The bottom is mud, clay or silt that has the consistency of heavy axle grease, and is thoroughly unpleasant to put your feet in.

It's not a lot of fun, but there's not much in the water to harm you. I usually experience a few moment's annoyance at the lack of visibility, but as I work, the feeling fades and I just get the job done.

Uh...I'm from Florida, so I'm familiar with Tarpon as a game fish but I'm not aware of any history of them attacking people. I wouldn't worry about that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

NJ is the same.. 2 feet is good visibility. Otherwise is is green green green with lots of mud on the bottom

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 07-03-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

What inlet are you going through?
Old 07-03-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
"ABSOLUTELY NO FISHING FROM BOAT OR DOCKS. NO EXCEPTIONS!"
That is one of like 8 signs posted here. Damn protected tarpon. He knows it to. Rubs it in my face every day when he swoops up for fish and i catch that long dorsal fin and sharp crescent tail.
i think i will take your advice and wimp out on the bottom scrub.
i already dived once a week back to free my centerboard i had left up and got stuck and the whole time im like ughhhhhhhhhh im so scurred. This from a guy who would fight on land willingly but its like murkey water just takes all my brave away hence the cowardly lion comment.

Spearfishing is my fav thing to do in the world! In the abacos. I guess im spoiled.

Well... deep sigh. I guess its time to get to work... oh man oh man
I used to fish tarpon. The only times I was ever concerned about the harm they might cause was when reeling them in, close to the boat, and a shark would hit and just leave the head! It wasn't the tarpon I worried about. We had a rule when we were fishing from a small skiff. If the damned thing jumps and lands in the boat, everybody overboard! We kept a couple of bats to club big fish with. The plan was to reach back in and subdue the thing. A big tarpon thrashing around in a small skiff could do some real damage. We never had to put the plan into motion. We had a couple hit the boat. Damned fun fishing. If you hook a really big one and it stands up shaking its head, 10 yards from the boat, it is quite a rush. We usually cut them off after a while because there is no point in landing them. Unless you are hoping to win a car in the old St. Pete tournament.

Down
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-03-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

If you have a slingshot, send a big steel nut towards that tarpon. Or two. Have a knife with you when under water. When I dive in conditions like that there is some fear, but I know it has to be done and I know I can do it. Don't let the fear paralyze you or make you avoid what has to be done.