Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 33 vs CS 30

You might want to take a look at the website jameswilson suggested on how to pick a blue water cruiser where it gives the pros and cons of different style boats. Once you figure out what is and isn't important to you, your search will narrow.
Old 07-03-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanumea View Post
Thank you all very much for your answers. I appreciate your help as I'm an experienced sailor from germany and not that familar with hunters and cs because they are built in north america and I recently came to Canada.
@ killarney sailor: we are located in Toronto and we are looking for a cheaper but solid boat for our voyage. would you recommend a specific boat you have experience with?
That is a more difficult question than it might seem for a couple of reasons. One is that kind of boat people want for summer cruising on the lake is very different conceptually than a boat for extended cruising. The other is that when the loonie was worth 65 cents US, Americans came shopping here and bought a lot of boats. Now, of course with the Canadian dollar much higher the movement of boats has reversed a bit, which may explain the Hunter if it here. When we were looking for a boat for extended cruising the only suitable boats we saw in Ontario were a Nagara 42 and a Bristol 41.1 and they were grossly overpriced. The mechanism for buying a boat in the US is quite simple. The only problem is that when you actually bring the boat into the country you must pay HST (and duty if the boat was not built in Canada or the US). We bought our boat in the US and she has never been in Canada so no tax.

When we were looking for our previous boat we short listed the Niagara 35 and CS 36 (different designer from the 30 and quite a different boat, there is also a CS 33 that is like the 36 I think and a Niagara 31 which looks like the 35 but is quite a different boat). Don't know if your budget would extend to one of these boats but I would not limit myself only to these. See what is available in nearby US - we looked from Maine to the Chesapeake and in the Maritimes too. Might look at Bristol 35.5 and Wauquiez 35 too. I just don't know boats in the 30 to 33' range well-enough to make a suggestion.

Forgot to say we bought a Niagara 35 Classic and quit liked it which is why we started out search with the N42.

Forgot #2 - there are two completely different CS36s. I was referring to the older one, the 36 Traditional.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 07-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I know two fella's with Shark 24's who single handed (side by side) from Ontario to Portugal to Cuba and home... very handy boys (in their 70's) and very experienced.

For those boys to have made the trip in a CS30, well, they would have considered it a luxury cruise.

The OP says he is an experienced sailor, so giving him the benefit of the doubt and supposing he has closely looked at both boats and understands the compromises ..... The CS30 is one of the best built production boats ever !
Old 07-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
most of the posters here lack good judgment, common sense, problem solving ability, courage, and perseverance in the face of adversity
yeah, but we're a hell of a lot more fun than those Cruisers Forum dweebs. And the chicks dig us.

So, there's that.
chef2sail and jameswilson29 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interesting. Is that how you feel about most posters who post in the forum threads here?
Not at all, I like almost all of my fellow sailors, even those with different viewpoints. The profle numbers are very revealing in this regard. I have given almost as many "Like"(s) as the number of posts I have made. That speaks for itself.

There is an abundance of useful information on Sailnet, from all different sources, some surprising. There are some real experts here, whose opinions I respect and follow. Some have even recommended other valuable sources of information - books, websites and videos - that have proven to be educational.

Unfortunately, one must dig through a mountain of B.S. to find these valuable nuggets. The dig is not entirely unpleasant, however, since the B.S. has some entertainment value. I have never put anyone on "Ignore", because I recognize that someone may still offer some entertainingly stupid material, even if it is not useful or practical. And learning why that poster is completely wrong and ignorant can be an educating process for all of us. The defense of Captain Walbridge and The Bounty incident was certainly in that category.
jephotog and Maine Sail like this.
Old 07-04-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
...Unfortunately, one must dig through a mountain of B.S. to find these valuable nuggets...The defense of Captain Walbridge and The Bounty incident was certainly in that category.
Those who mischaracterize as "defense" the suggestions to withhold judgement until more facts were in fall into that same category.

Determining true root causes of safety incidents requires problem solving ability, courage, and perseverance, which appeared to be lacking in those who wanted to rush to judgement.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Not at all, I like almost all of my fellow sailors, even those with different viewpoints. The profle numbers are very revealing in this regard. I have given almost as many "Like"(s) as the number of posts I have made. That speaks for itself.

There is an abundance of useful information on Sailnet, from all different sources, some surprising. There are some real experts here, whose opinions I respect and follow. Some have even recommended other valuable sources of information - books, websites and videos - that have proven to be educational.

Unfortunately, one must dig through a mountain of B.S. to find these valuable nuggets. The dig is not entirely unpleasant, however, since the B.S. has some entertainment value. I have never put anyone on "Ignore", because I recognize that someone may still offer some entertainingly stupid material, even if it is not useful or practical. And learning why that poster is completely wrong and ignorant can be an educating process for all of us. The defense of Captain Walbridge and The Bounty incident was certainly in that category.
James, Good to hear.

Its the internet and there is no filter. And yes SN is way more entertaining than CF as BL noted, but many less technical experts. Also berift of people who race their boats like SA.

What I have learned from some on here is learning who to listen to and the rest it just becomes pure entertainment value. Finding out who really has real technical knowledge, and who in reality, is an ambulance chaser posing, is part of the education process.

The most valuable part of the SN experience for me has always been the friends I have met from here who I have relationships with.

Now back to the OP.

Seeing as you pocess a good amount of sailing experience I would suggest you look at a number of boats as illary has mentioned if you can, unless you are hooked into the CS 30 or the Hunter 33. Pf it only a choice between those two, then outfitting the one you choose with the required equipment for cruising would be a priority, including the safety equipment. Join the HUnters group and ask your questions there.

If you are choosing to venture offshore the entire process that would change mny thinking as opposed to coastal hopping which is certainly possible to achieve your goals.

I would also suggest you join Cruisers Forum to speak with sailors who do cruising. Posers handing out coastal bluewater sailing advice when the most they have ever done in the ocean, is an overnight DeMarva trip is not where I would look for good or relevant information about sailing the Bahamas or Maine. Killarnny, Dave,Xort, Wing, or Jon being that exception For that good advice I would go to CF. There is a group of already cruisers on there.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect boat

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

James James always with the personal assasination. I have grown to expect it from you. Certainly your post has nothing to do with the thread and is unecessary. Cant you contain your venom or feelings?

Just to set the record straight about my credentials, because no one deserves to be lied about or denigrated like you did. Least you could state the truth here. Statements left unrefuted may become fact in some minds.

In the last 30 years besides owning a sailboat, I have done 2 Atlantic Crossings, a Carribean 1500, a number of deliveries as crew up and down the Atlantic seaboard, chartered places multiple times including Tortolla, Chicago, and Long Beach California to Catalina Island for weeks at a time. Guess what James, all with multiple days and night sailing. No fear of that here at all, just enough common sense not to fall asleep at the wheel by myself near the coast like you in an ill equipped vessel with a lack of experience. In addition for 8 years I crewed on one of the most successful boats in Annapolis in the Wednesday noight races. I dont like to tout my credentials or experience, but you sir and I are on different wavelengths. I still am learning from others and are humbled by people like Jon and Dave who deliver vessels for a living. I am humbled by Charlie about boat refurishment. I am humbled by Maine about Electrontics.

Since being married 8 years ago to a woman who couldnt swim, let alone ever sailed, we have averaged over 3000 nm a year on our little 35 footer cruising the New England and the LI Sound every summer as well as the Chesapeake, and the Carribean ( Charter). My goal has been to give my wife the time and the chance to enjoy, love the boat and slowly gain experience to develop confidence for the goal of a larger boat and cruising the Carribean as retirement is on the horizon. During this periods we have spend all night on the ocean as well as the Bay in transit. Of course we were properly equipped and alert. Safety always first. I will have no need to go it alone as my wife is my partner and companion. It is important to know how to transit inlets safely ( every bluewater sailor knows that), and our trip to NE is a vacation so there is no need on it to take huge hours at sea when we can sail 30-50 miles and enjoy a quiet anchorage, a good restauarnt, or a quiant town.

James we arent even in the same ocean for sailing experience. Sailing around the great state of Delaware is not much experience. Doing it while sleep deprived on purpose is unsafe. Thats ok as SN has many levels and I have learned from others on here with less experience as well as more. I dare say my wife has much more overall experience than you have and as she continues her learning curve with off shore trips continues to amaze me at her grasp of sailing and the love for the open ocean. You may never have a chance to even keep up with her James. In addition how sad to have to go it alone and not be able enjoy these great explorations with your partner.

Quote:
If I ever wanted to learn how to organize a raft-up, discover which wine and cheese are best for a raft-up, or how to anchor with a bunch of other boats, I would seek your opinion- James Wilson

I guess this refers to the Sailnet Rondevous my wife and I help organize annually for the last 5 years. I am happy and also proud to bring sailors together. No need to divide them up like you with negativeity. I guess because my wife is involved with sailing,,and my nature, the social experience SN has provided us with meeting people is important to both of us. We have made some great friends and met them in person on here in the Chesapeake, in the LI Sound and in California, and yes even rafted up and had wine and cheese and good commradiere. I dont see that as a negative. While I may not always play well with others on here ( but look who it is I dont) I value and cherish the sailing friendships I have made in person.

In the future feel free to PM me with personal stuff like this, its not a courtroom and you really arent on display here, and it really doesnt stay with the theme of the thread. I would also appreciate it if you would check you facts before posting continued inaccuracies.

Now back to the OP question.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-05-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I know two fella's with Shark 24's who single handed (side by side) from Ontario to Portugal to Cuba and home... very handy boys (in their 70's) and very experienced.

For those boys to have made the trip in a CS30, well, they would have considered it a luxury cruise.

The OP says he is an experienced sailor, so giving him the benefit of the doubt and supposing he has closely looked at both boats and understands the compromises ..... The CS30 is one of the best built production boats ever !
To me the OP's question begs a serious discussion, he might as well included an Optimist in the list, the two selections clearly indicate randomness.

As to the CS30, which would be a personal favorite as a premium coastal cruiser, it fits poorly as a bluewater cruiser. Just because the CS36 and maybe a few other CSes make a decent bluewater boat, does not mean anything CS does... Better to review an old thread then to redo it...CS30 for Solo Nonstop Circumnavigation via Cape Horn?

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
James James always with the personal assasination. I have grown to expect it from you. Certainly your post has nothing to do with the thread and is unecessary. Cant you contain your venom or feelings?

Just to set the record straight about my credentials, because no one deserves to be lied about or denigrated like you did. Least you could state the truth here. Statements left unrefuted may become fact in some minds.

In the last 30 years besides owning a sailboat, I have done 2 Atlantic Crossings, a Carribean 1500, a number of deliveries as crew up and down the Atlantic seaboard, chartered places multiple times including Tortolla, Chicago, and Long Beach California to Catalina Island for weeks at a time. Guess what James, all with multiple days and night sailing. No fear of that here at all, just enough common sense not to fall asleep at the wheel by myself near the coast like you in an ill equipped vessel with a lack of experience. In addition for 8 years I crewed on one of the most successful boats in Annapolis in the Wednesday noight races. I dont like to tout my credentials or experience, but you sir and I are on different wavelengths. I still am learning from others and are humbled by people like Jon and Dave who deliver vessels for a living. I am humbled by Charlie about boat refurishment. I am humbled by Maine about Electrontics.

Since being married 8 years ago to a woman who couldnt swim, let alone ever sailed, we have averaged over 3000 nm a year on our little 35 footer cruising the New England and the LI Sound every summer as well as the Chesapeake, and the Carribean ( Charter). My goal has been to give my wife the time and the chance to enjoy, love the boat and slowly gain experience to develop confidence for the goal of a larger boat and cruising the Carribean as retirement is on the horizon. During this periods we have spend all night on the ocean as well as the Bay in transit. Of course we were properly equipped and alert. Safety always first. I will have no need to go it alone as my wife is my partner and companion. It is important to know how to transit inlets safely ( every bluewater sailor knows that), and our trip to NE is a vacation so there is no need on it to take huge hours at sea when we can sail 30-50 miles and enjoy a quiet anchorage, a good restauarnt, or a quiant town.

James we arent even in the same ocean for sailing experience. Sailing around the great state of Delaware is not much experience. Doing it while sleep deprived on purpose is unsafe. Thats ok as SN has many levels and I have learned from others on here with less experience as well as more. I dare say my wife has much more overall experience than you have and as she continues her learning curve with off shore trips continues to amaze me at her grasp of sailing and the love for the open ocean. You may never have a chance to even keep up with her James. In addition how sad to have to go it alone and not be able enjoy these great explorations with your partner.

I guess this refers to the Sailnet Rondevous my wife and I help organize annually for the last 5 years. I am happy and also proud to bring sailors together. No need to divide them up like you with negativeity. I guess because my wife is involved with sailing,,and my nature, the social experience SN has provided us with meeting people is important to both of us. We have made some great friends and met them in person on here in the Chesapeake, in the LI Sound and in California, and yes even rafted up and had wine and cheese and good commradiere. I dont see that as a negative. While I may not always play well with others on here ( but look who it is I dont) I value and cherish the sailing friendships I have made in person.

In the future feel free to PM me with personal stuff like this, its not a courtroom and you really arent on display here, and it really doesnt stay with the theme of the thread. I would also appreciate it if you would check you facts before posting continued inaccuracies.
Daggers are out, touche'

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.