Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hunter 33 vs CS 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Daggers are out, touche'
No not really. Enough of the personal remarks. They arent germaine/ Just correcting the lies.

This needs to be taken into PM if James feels the need to continue. I am willing.

Quote:
As to the CS30, which would be a personal favorite as a premium coastal cruiser, it fits poorly as a bluewater cruiser. Just because the CS36 and maybe a few other CSes make a decent bluewater boat, does not mean anything CS does- Sailingfool
In terms of the original post about a CS30 being a bluewater boat compared to a CS36, The CS certainly is not a boat I would want to go around the world with myself/ The posts were general in nature comparing the build quality of a CS30 to the Hunter 33

A CS30 is certainly a very capable COASTAL CRUISER and a well made boat IMHO. The OP intended usage to take the boat down the Atlantic Coast and to the Islands in the Carribean which are mainly line of sight are certainly within its capabilities sturcturally. Many have done with with far less. Around the world or many days of blue water sailing.....very questionable as you and others pointed out

Thats not to say this is ideally set up to do long period cruising, but it could be adressed if that was the intention. It is not the boat or the size boat I would choose to do it in, but different people have different expectations and require different accomnadations. I dont know the OP finances or availability to show for other boats in his price range. It was he who narrowed it down to these two boats. My comments are intended to address this question and not bring other options in play. Certainly there are other options if the OP would care to expand his search. Thats his call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 07-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....The OP intended usage to take the boat down the Atlantic Coast and to the Islands in the Carribean which are mainly line of sight are certainly within its capabilities sturcturally. Many have done with with far less. Around the world or many days of blue water sailing.....very questionable as you and others pointed out..
Actually the only specific destination the OP mentioned in his wanderlust is the Marquesas, a little hop which I believe involves at least 3000nm of open water, deep water where a sweet CS 30 would be way over its head. Seems sort of random ...
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Actually the only specific destination the OP mentioned in his wanderlust is the Marquesas, a little hop which I believe involves at least 3000nm of open water, deep water where a sweet CS 30 would be way over its head. Seems sort of random ...
Yeah, I saw that and disreadarded that as I did the around the world comment. These boats are really not designed for that of course. but coastal and Carribean can be done with changes.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-05-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I could imagine sailing from the Galapagos to Marquesas in a properly equipped and crewed CS30. It was comes afterward that matters assuming the OP does not not end to move permanently to French Polynesia. Both returning to the Americas and continuing rtw via South Africa are much, much more challenging. From Mauritius we probably averaged 30 knots with expected gusts and we had one of the easier passages of those we met in Richards Bay.
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I could imagine sailing from the Galapagos to Marquesas in a properly equipped and crewed CS30. It was comes afterward that matters assuming the OP does not not end to move permanently to French Polynesia. Both returning to the Americas and continuing rtw via South Africa are much, much more challenging. From Mauritius we probably averaged 30 knots with expected gusts and we had one of the easier passages of those we met in Richards Bay.
Yes everything I have read and our friend who completed the ARC in a 62 Sundeer, have said that the most chaalllanging part was the Angoulas Current and South Africa in general. Not something I would challenge in aCS30. Even in a stout boat like Ania ( my favorite Bristol) I I am sure it was quite a piece of seamanship.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-06-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes everything I have read and our friend who completed the ARC in a 62 Sundeer, have said that the most chaalllanging part was the Angoulas Current and South Africa in general. Not something I would challenge in aCS30. Even in a stout boat like Ania ( my favorite Bristol) I I am sure it was quite a piece of seamanship.
Thanks, on behalf of Ainia and the Admiral. We found that getting to South Africa was much tougher than dealing with the Agulhas once you are in SA. At least once you are there you are in control of timing. You wait for a weather window and dash to the next port, which can be over 200 miles away. It is sort of fun to head out and see how far out you have to go to pick up the current and then see if you can keep the SOG over 10 knots (or 11). The problem is getting to SA from the east. When we there a group of boats were anchored in southern Mozambique waiting for a window to cross to SA. The problem was that the weather forecasts changed so often that you just had to go and decide after a few days whether the conditions are suitable for crossing the Current or whether you have to heave-to and wait for the Buster to pass since conditions in the Current can be really dangerous. You need a boat that is (reasonably) comfortable and more importantly safe in 25 to 35 knots all the time, with the possibly of much more. If you don't have that sort of confidence you should not be there.
Old 07-06-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road

I have a cs 30. A great boat for the great Lakes, sturdy, we'll built and good accommodations. Plan to retire in about 6 years and am giving some serious thought about taking a boat down to the carribean for a year or two. However it will not be on a CS30, for two good reasons. First it's to light in displacement, and second is that the tankage is not large enough. Can't say anything about the hunter, but I wouldn't recommend the CS30. Oh, and you better believe the boat I will take will have a swim platform. This climbing over the stern railing gets old fast.
Old 07-07-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... My goal has been to give my wife the time and the chance to enjoy, love the boat and slowly gain experience to develop confidence for the goal of a larger boat and cruising the Carribean as retirement is on the horizon. During this periods we have spend all night on the ocean as well as the Bay in transit. Of course we were properly equipped and alert. Safety always first...
I see something different in your sailing resume - a huge hole, despite a lot of time spent on the water. It appears you have allowed the tremendous fear you experienced on your second Transatlantic crewing experience to stymie your personal growth as a sailor. While you have spent a lot of time sitting on your boat and others, you have never really tested your personal ability and character ever since that scare. All the internet bullying in the world does not change that obvious avoidance of personal growth in your sailing career.

I now understand why you feel so threatened by solo sailors and those who approach sailing as a personal challenge, instead of a social activity. The mystery is why you would feel so proud of your perceived role as the SN "enforcer". I assume the mods encourage you in this role because you perform some useful function in organizing the get-togethers and shilling for the sponsors?
Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I see something different in your sailing resume - a huge hole, despite a lot of time spent on the water. It appears you have allowed the tremendous fear you experienced on your second Transatlantic crewing experience to stymie your personal growth as a sailor. While you have spent a lot of time sitting on your boat and others, you have never really tested your personal ability and character ever since that scare. All the internet bullying in the world does not change that obvious avoidance of personal growth in your sailing career.

I now understand why you feel so threatened by solo sailors and those who approawch sailing as a personal challenge, instead of a social activity. The mystery is why you would feel so proud of your perceived role as the SN "enforcer". I assume the mods encourage you in this role because you perform some useful function in organizing the get-togethers and shilling for the sponsors?
Again with the personal James. Trust me I am neither the SN enforcer or a shil for the moderators. The Rondevous are also for members of this site as well as other sites and all sailors on the Chesapeake. You could come, but that would mean you couldn't hide like on the Internet. If you displayed this behavior in person it might be dealt with differently.

I have nothing to prove sailing wise to myself or anyone else. I am comfortable in my own skin. I thoroughly enjoy this period of my life, after raising kids and approaching retirement, with the type and amount of sailing I do now, which by the way far exceeds yours even at this point. I watched my daughter by her first keelboat last year a 27 Catalina and she's teaching her new husband how to sail on Barneget Bay.

I really am quite fulfilled sailing with my wife sharing new places, friendships, and am looking forward to our chances to do long range cruising in a different boat in the future like some of our friends on here. I get plenty of time singlehanding Halekula, but really I like when my wife and I are together on her.

Even at this moment we are anchored, rafted up with friends enjoying a beautiful sunrise, breakfast and commradiere on the Chesapeake n the Magothy River while you hide solo behind your computer. Priceless sharing experiences with my wife and friends. No need to have the loneliness of going a solo.

Seek your own personal challenges James. Everyone's are different, and you certainly don't have the credentials, experience, or right to criticize others about theirs. We are in different places in life. I said my wife's experience has long passed yours not only in the Chesapeake but offshore and the gap widens every year. We sail safely and alert, nothing to prove but enjoying ourselves.

Give us a all a breaks from your personal animus.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-07-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

OK guys, we've gotten way off track here. The OP asked a simple question...which boat, A or B would be the better boat for some serious, long range cruising. We have answered his question and I think we have convinced him that neither are suitable blue water boats and he should continue his search.
Let's call this thread closed and move on to other topics.