SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Hunter 33 vs CS 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101038-hunter-33-vs-cs-30-a.html)

nanumea 07-03-2013 09:15 AM

Hunter 33 vs CS 30

Hi there,
we want to make our dream come true and sail in the oceans. We plan to start in October (Canada) and sail towards the Caribean, later to the Marquesas and if everything works out - around the world.
For that we need a seaworthy boat and we are discussing about buying either a Hunter 33 (4ft shoal draft keel) or a CS 30. Boath boats are in great shape - but which boat would be safer and ideal for our voyage?
I'm looking forward for your opinions to be able to make a proper desicion.
Thank you very much,
nanumea & partner

chuck53 07-03-2013 11:06 AM

Re: Hunter 33 vs CS 30

I'm not familiar with the CS30, but I will bet good money, the majority of Sailnetters will tell you that a Hunter 33 is not a blue water boat. If you want to coastal cruise or island hop where you are never more than 100 miles from land, go for it.

jameswilson29 07-03-2013 11:45 AM

You should consult with reputable, objective, third-party sources (which would not include a owner of that brand of sailboat) to answer this question. Mahina Expeditions has an extensive list of blue water boats with comments about each. Why don't you check that list to see if any CSs or Hunters are listed?
Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Many novices make the mistake of believing the boat is what matters. The skipper is far more important than the boat. The most important characteristics of a competent skipper are his good judgment, common sense and problem solving ability. The second most important characteristics would be courage and perseverance in the face of adversity. If you read the forum threads here long enough, you will realize that these characteristics are in short supply.

The sad fact is these aspects can not be bought (unless you hire a good skipper) or taught, no matter how many ASA courses one takes. Years and years of experience do not necessarily develop these aspects. There are plenty of threads here where someone ends up abandoning a perfectly capable blue-water boat because he or she has poor judgment or lacks courage - do a forum search for "Coast Guard rescue". No boat can make up for those deficiencies in a sailor.

So the real question is: Are you capable of making such a passage?

miatapaul 07-03-2013 12:07 PM

Well the CS is in a completely different category of boat. They are finely crafted and well made, while the Hunter is a mass produced boat. Kind of the difference between a Ford and a Lincoln. though neither is really suited to off shore work. Neither is a bad boat, but as all boats are both were made to a price point, just fewer compromises to price will have been made on the CS. Shoal draft, while great for gunk holing will be quite a bit more tender, so have less comfortable motion in rough water.

jephotog 07-03-2013 12:09 PM

I only know the CS boats from what I have read on here over the years. Its reputation is of a well built boat. I imagine besides being 3 feet shorter the CS will be smaller just because it is not a Hunter. On most all Hunters I have been on I am always amazed at how much space they have made down below given the boats length. The lay out of the CS though is impressive in terms of a double berth aft on a 30 footer is not bad for a boat of its era and reputation.

I had rented a Hunter 33 two weeks ago. While it was nice to have all the space it came at the cost of speed. I am usually disappointed with rental boats as I only have the 42 foot boat I race on to compare to with 12 headsails and a crew of 8 to make it go fast. The Hunter's performance left me unimpressed, but the object that day was not speed I am always comparing boats potentials.

I don't think either of those boats are the one you want to take around the world. But they would both get you to the Bahamas and back. My guess is the CS is would be more fun while sailing, the Hunter more space while at anchor.

chuck53 07-03-2013 12:20 PM

James makes an excellent point.

Question to the OP...what is your sailing experience? I'm guessing either...not much if you think you can go around the world on a Hunter 33 or so much experience that you are confident in your skills that you can sail anything around the world.

killarney_sailor 07-03-2013 05:02 PM

I think you are approaching this decision. You don't really start with a couple of boats and see if they fit your intended purpose. You should start by identifying the characteristics of the boat you need (not an easy task judging by the endless discussions here and elsewhere about the 'perfect' bluewater boat, and then look for a boat that fits those characteristics that is within your budget.

Is either of these boats 'ideal' for a circumnavigation? In my view, neither even comes close. Both strike me as too lightly built for one thing and have too small tankage for another. We have done 30,000 miles so far on our rtw. The wear and tear is never-ending and it takes a rugged boat to stand up to it. I think you will find relatively few average boats in Canada (or elsewhere) that are up to the challenge. Where are you, btw? Also what sort of budget are you looking at?

jimrafford 07-03-2013 05:14 PM

If they are similar vintage boats the cs 30 will sail circles around the hunter. Raced against one on a c&c 33 for years. That being said they were both designed to be coastal cruisers not blue water boat.
Like my 40 the 30 was designed by Tony Castro. Fast, balanced and well laid out designs.
Jim

nanumea 07-03-2013 05:54 PM

Thank you all very much for your answers. I appreciate your help as I'm an experienced sailor from germany and not that familar with hunters and cs because they are built in north america and I recently came to Canada.
@ killarney sailor: we are located in Toronto and we are looking for a cheaper but solid boat for our voyage. would you recommend a specific boat you have experience with?

chef2sail 07-03-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1053859)
The most important characteristics of a competent skipper are his good judgment, common sense and problem solving ability. The second most important characteristics would be courage and perseverance in the face of adversity. If you read the forum threads here long enough, you will realize that these characteristics are in short supply.

?

James.

Interesting. Is that how you feel about most posters who post in the forum threads here?

I Just want to make sure I understand your statement correctly, or give you a chance to backstroke away from it: Are you stating that the most of the posters here lack good judgment, common sense, problem solving ability, courage, and perseverance in the face of adversity by stating
Quote:

"If you read the forum threads here long enough, you will realize that these characteristics are in short supply"- James Wilson
To the Original Poster of the thread.

I am going to assume that you ( the OP) is an intelligent adult who understands the need for experience and safety to undertake a coastal or blue water passage. His question was about the aspects of different boats specifically a Hunter 33 and a CS 30.

My Advice is to do some reading looking into cruising forums is well taken as any boat can be made to sail coastal in mainly day trips. That being said the structural overall quality and sailing characteristics of the two you mentioned are different. The CS although smaller is a more stout boat with a good reputation overall. Lots of attention to detail including the interior went into these boats in general. Hunters vary differently in build quality in model size as well as when they were built IMHO. Hard to find better boats in the production field than the older Cherubini Hunters.

Its good you are asking the questions and starting to research and do you homewark. Continue that with saialing experiences with others including some with those with more than you so your learning curve goes fast.

I addition feel free to pick the brains of the posters in the threads here on Sailnet. Many have good experience and most are willing to share.