Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Is external rudder a good idea?

I like outboard rudders. If they are well designed they can be as strong as any other rudder. I think Tom gave you a very good overview on outboard rudders based on a lot of experience.

I had one on my own last boat. The boat backed up like a champ.
I like them because they are salty!
Attached Thumbnails
Is external rudder a good idea?-jeff.jpg  
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-06-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

As far as I can see on a smaller boat like the one in the picture it is neither good nor bad. As a boat get larger and ventures farther offshore, an outboard rudder is a lot more difficult to use as it is a one to one ratio. However, I love outboard rudders for offshore cruising because it is so cheap and easy to build on a reliable windvane that works superlatively, a major plus.
Old 07-07-2013
grumpy old man

Capta:
I agree with you.
One thing about an outboard rudder is that it gets the head of the tiller out of the cockpit and this can free up cockpit space. It also moves the rudder planform aft and on a small boat this can help with directional stability. On a big boat with wheel steering there are some ways to control the outbpoard rudder but I have never seen one that I thought was not a bit clumsy. You have far more steering options with an inboard rudder.

The outboard rudder on my own 26'er was absolutely perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Is external rudder a good idea?-image001.jpg  
AlaskaMC likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-07-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

With an inboard rudder you lose the most useful streering option of all, steering via trimtab either for a vane , manual steering, or inside steering. I dont see any options lost with an outboard rudder.
An ex airforce friend mentioned a large cargo plane which was totally controled by trimtabs. At rest, all the control surfaces hung down, and only came to life as the plane started moving. It was so powerful that they had to put in some resistance, as a pilot could easily rip the wings off, without realizing how much force he was putting them under.
Old 07-07-2013
grumpy old man

Great Brent. I comforted to know you and I still disagree on just about everything.

You have to move the rudder. When you do you will need something to connect it to the wheel. With an inboard rudder you will have more options in this area.
Maybe not in Swainland but in the rest of the world it works like that. I suggest you take a lok at any Edson Catalog. There are lots of steering arrangement options in the catalog. I know that you would probably prefer welding something of your own design up but lots and lots of sailors use Edson.
tdw and bljones like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 07-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Capta:
I agree with you.
One thing about an outboard rudder is that it gets the head of the tiller out of the cockpit and this can free up cockpit space. It also moves the rudder planform aft and on a small boat this can help with directional stability.
Bob, right there are the reasons, AIUI, that Joe Adams used an outboard rudder for his highly-successful 'Adams 20' design late last century. That's 66 feet of racing yacht capable of +20 knots hour after hour in strong winds and a Tasman ocean swell.

Not sure I'd call a 66ft boat "small", but it's a relative term I suppose..
Old 07-07-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

The Adams 13 had an outboard rudder as well.
The Adams 13 Metre Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Old 07-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
The Adams 13 had an outboard rudder as well.
The Adams 13 Metre Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Many of Adam's designs did, especially his racers.. but the '20 was the largest of them all.

He seemed to believe that an outboard rudder was best for a racing yacht and an inboard rudder on a cruising yacht. Modern racing yacht design seems to have moved away from that now due to the 'ventilation' issues described by Rich.. but it hasn't necessarily made any difference in winning races.
Old 07-30-2014

Morild is on a distinguished road

I eventually took ownership of a Nordship 808 with the external rudder.
After having sailed it during the summer i love it. It responds like a dinghy and allows for easy manuouvering in the habours.
Thanks for great advice.
I have enclosed a picture of the night in June when I took ownership of "Nordild" :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Is external rudder a good idea?-fetch.jpg  
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 07-30-2014
grumpy old man

Looks very nice to me.

Bob's Blog ....