Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Yanmar parts distrobution/retail

crap, sorry for the misspell in the title, ugh.

A bit whiny I know.
An old topic, but things have changed with direct access to China OEM's.

My patience is wearing thin with Yanmar parts distribution. I have to deal with the local "knuckle draggers" who really don't give a hoot about us rec boaters. Rarely, if ever, do they have the part in stock. And their prices are just stupid. Frankly I just want to order parts over the internet like from "Torreson Marine" but Yanmar won't let them ship to Washington State.

Interestingly enough, using Alibaba we all have direct access to the OEM's of most of these parts. I have not mustered up the courage to try it yet but they literally cost 30% of the cost. I would much rather have yanmar open up their distribution across the US.

My letter to Yanmar.
Hello,

I am a Yanmar Marine engine owner. Finding parts is a serious pain. You limit me to Seattle based dealers and I would really like to buy over the internet from any Yanmar dealer. This is very "old school" and it is starting to put a dent in your excellent reputation. You do have great products but I think this "protectionism" mentality is from the previous century. You need to open the doors on parts procurement for your customers. At what point will you value the customer over your dealer network. ALL the dealers in Seattle have lousy websites, and are all impossible to order from. AND,,, because of the culture you have created with your dealers they are only open 9-5 M-F, how ridiculous is that.

I am now looking for backdoor sources in China through Alibaba. They essentially make all your parts anyway and I can get OEM products at a fraction of the price. I am even thinking about creating a non-profit Yanmar Co-op through this mechanism for the Seattle area. Get your act together or the market will respond with alternatives. I am serious about this.

Last edited by kellysails; 07-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar parts distrobution/retail

I have ordered literally thousands of dollars of Yanmar parts through Gallery Marine and have absolutely no complaints about their service. Have you tried them? Dave has always been extremely helpful.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
I have ordered literally thousands of dollars of Yanmar parts through Gallery Marine and have absolutely no complaints about their service. Have you tried them? Dave has always been extremely helpful.
Oh yes, Don & Dave, know them well, you would likely be shocked on the amount you paid versus the amount you would have paid to Torreson Marine. And I guarantee that the parts that Gallery had to order in were in stock at Torreson Marine. Being up in Alaska you are likely used to high prices. I will also admit that maybe it is just me. I spent way to much time in the modern eCommerce industry and open markets and the old school markets are a bit foreign to me.
Old 07-04-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Having just spent some $400 on Yanmar parts, I have also looked online (Torreson for example) and they are around 40% less, so yeah, I'd absolutely love to have an alternative to my local dealer and these days, having any kind of protected market is only going to be detrimental to your company longer term I think. FYI though, all of the OEM Yanmar parts I bought are made in Japan and not China, you are likely not getting OEM but cheap Chinese fakes so watch out for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.