Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Errr why didn't you move?

Imho you are at least 50% to blame. Maybe/propably more.
I don't think that's fair.

The OP clearly stated that he/she was ASLEEP when the boat anchored near him/her.
zeehag and Familycruisers like this.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to wind_magic For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Errr why didn't you move?

Imho you are at least 50% to blame. Maybe/propably more.

If the boat anchored and you saw it was too close before it hit you then you had the option of moving. If you chose not to move and there was nobody aboard the mobo then you are mostly to blame for the damage.

Yes you were there first but the doctrine of a reasonable man applies'. You could have mitigated or prevented the damage.
I don't see this either. Knowing the person anchored poorly and then left the boat unattended a prudent person would move away, but that means you have to monitor all the actions of the idiot Motor Boater. While it makes sense to monitor those around you but having to stay awake and in the cockpit 24/7 to do it is not a reasonable expectation.

Getting mugged by walking in the wrong neighborhood does not make the victim 50% responsible for the crime.

Even if your GPS is handheld it still makes sense to use the anchoring alarm. I know my new handheld has this feature. You should be able to run it off the house battery or recharge AAs off the house battery. This time it was the MOBOs fault the next time it could be yours or your boat on the beach if your anchor drags.

In the mean time take photos, get witness statements. You should get a photo of his boat that shows the boat name and the side of the boat that you can see in the pictures of it rubbing up against yours.

Does the coast guard or LEO show up to take fender bender reports?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Yeah. I think I said I woke up to see a boat anchored right next to me about four feet away and closing. I was on the deck with my arms pushing in a second and that's the only reason the damage was minor. Then I spent two hours fending, at which time if I stopped fending we would have hit again. So I couldn't really get out of there because I had to keep the boat off.

TQA I guess this guy was using that tactic. Throw your anchor on top of someone else while they are sleeping, then head into town without any sort of anchor watch, and if you hit anybody it is their fault and they have to move. Maybe everybody should do that, it's a good way to get the best spot when you show up to a popular place on the years busiest holiday.

It wasn't my fault. When I went to sleep there wasn't a boat for 100 yards and that closest boat is my friend.

Even if I could have moved where am I going to go? It's the fourth. The marina is overflowing. The anchorage is jammed packed. Thats why this yahoo anchored next to me.

3:1 scope is sufficient in this anchorage. Even the well respected wagoners cruising guide says so. I can't very well let out 400 feet and take up the entire bay here.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 07-05-2013 at 03:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to northoceanbeach For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It wasn't my fault. When I went to sleep there wasn't a boat for 100 yards and that closest boat is my friend.
It was absolutely NOT your fault, and all this talk about it being your fault, and you should just have moved, makes me a little angry .
I see a lot of that, and it just makes an idiot like him think that his behaviour is perfectly all right, and he will continue with his dangerous affairs.

No, stand up for what is right, and let them know. It is the the only way to perhaps change something, don't just walk away and silently accept their behaviour.
northoceanbeach and ottos like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morild For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

This is a good example of why one should stay away from popular anchorages on holidays. ALL the idiots are out. Seeing some dumb pyrotechnics is not worth playing bumper-boats.
zeehag likes this.
Old 07-05-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Yeah. I think I said I woke up to see a boat anchored right next to me about four feet away and closing. I was on the deck with my arms pushing in a second and that's the only reason the damage was minor. Then I spent two hours fending, at which time if I stopped fending we would have hit again. So I couldn't really get out of there because I had to keep the boat off.

TQA I guess this guy was using that tactic. Throw your anchor on top of someone else while they are sleeping, then head into town without any sort of anchor watch, and if you hit anybody it is their fault and they have to move. Maybe everybody should do that, it's a good way to get the best spot when you show up to a popular place on the years busiest holiday.

Even if I could have moved where am I going to go? It's the fourth. The marina is overflowing. The anchorage is jammed packed. Thats why this yahoo anchored next to me.

3:1 scope is sufficient in this anchorage. Even the well respected wagoners cruising guide says so. I can't very well let out 400 feet and take up the entire bay here.
I agree that waking up to find someone about to hit you is not good.

However I do stand by what I said, I think you are partly to blame for not moving. Other posters here clearly have alternative views.

Was there nobody else around that could have helped? I guess I am used to being around places where the cruisers help each other out. Someone in your predicament would have soon have had several people in dinks poling up to help you even if you were not able to put out a call for help on the VHF.

In a similar situation I have let out more rode to drop back behind the culprit before moving. To avoid colliding while pulling up the anchor I dropped a kedge at an angle. I was single handed at the time and without an anchor remote so the kedge was the easy option.
Old 07-05-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

TQA: If you are single handed and an anchor boat is actively being blown into yours you would really allow the damage to take place while you raise anchor and get away? It's not like you can both fend and deal with the anchor at the same time.

Had the boat been spotted when 20' away and there was time to spare that would be one thing.

northoceanbeach: Let us know how it goes. I agree with the general advice of documenting and filing a complaint with the police and his insurance. Hopefully you have insurance who will fight for your side.
zeehag likes this.
Old 07-05-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I would not wait for anyone to return but would call LE and get a report filed. Do you set your GPS on anchor drag alarm? That would be your proof of your position as it records your boat's track movements over time.
My state actually requires damage of a certain amount between boats to be reported to our marine police.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However I do stand by what I said, I think you are partly to blame for not moving. Other posters here clearly have alternative views.
I believe NOB is fairly new to sailing or cruising. To expect the same level of expertise as you is unreasonable. I am sure given the option to do something other than "let" the power boat beat up his home for the week, month or however long he is cruising, he would have done so. Hell, his first instinct is to even hold this guy accountable. I'd have called my lawyer, put on a neck brace and been shopping for a Ranger 26 by now, if I was in his shoes.

I consider myself an experienced sailor, but have think I have only anchored once in my life that I can remember. One of the reasons I am here is to learn from the experience of others like yourself or from NOB who is out there learning via trial by fire, so when a MOBO tries to ruin my home I know my out. It's good to learn from your own mistakes even better to learn from other's mistakes.

Quote:
I was single handed at the time and without an anchor remote so the kedge was the easy option.
Whats an anchor remote?
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 07-05-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

5 blasts on the air horn in the middle of the night every few minutes would get the attention from others and gain the witnesses you needed! Nothing is more irritating then air horns in an anchorage!
davidpm, zeehag and mark2gmtrans like this.

My boat is for sale.