Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Quote:
Whats an anchor remote?
Something that allows you to raise the anchor from the helm. It can be a switch on a long lead or now a days wireless remotes are more common.

In a situation like the one suffered by the OP starting the engine and using that with rudder to nudge away from the MOBO works but if you have to go up front to retrieve the anchor it makes things worse as you pendulum back. You need to keep manouvering clear as the anchor comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Something that allows you to raise the anchor from the helm. It can be a switch on a long lead or now a days wireless remotes are more common.
Yup, straight from the Sea-Ray School of Pushbutton Seamanship, undoubtedly the technique employed by the guy in dropping his hook to begin with... (grin)

Quote:
In a situation like the one suffered by the OP starting the engine and using that with rudder to nudge away from the MOBO works but if you have to go up front to retrieve the anchor it makes things worse as you pendulum back. You need to keep manouvering clear as the anchor comes up.
Often is such a situation, the best tactic would be to simply let out more scope, prior to to dropping the rode completely - after buoying the end, naturally, with a few fenders, or whatever - letting it all float free and clear, then returning to retrieve your gear... Whenever one drops the hook anywhere, one should always be prepared for such an eventuality, it can often offer your best chance of making a quick escape from a dicey situation, and a primary rationale why any cruising boat should always have 2 anchors with independent rodes at the ready... If I'm anchored in a tight spot with other boats around, waiting for a frontal passage or a line of strong thunderstorms to move through, I will definitely be prepared to cast the rode free should should someone upwind begin to drag down upon me... It should always be one of the FIRST things one might consider doing in such a situation, IMHO...
davidpm and Sal Paradise like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So Like a remote operated windlass?

I got a new plan of attack for NOB. You can claim his boat had dragged anchor and was adrift. Your boats actions saved it from being dragged ashore and becoming a total loss.

Enjoy your new powerboat.
justflie likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Haha. I like that. I've got the paperwork from the sheriff. Is tere anything I can do now that the boater has left the area? If I file the report today will the track him down?
Old 07-05-2013

I'd contact the authorities and report your new boat stolen.

So you did get a Sheriff's report? How about a statement or the contact information from the neighbors? I would contact your insurance company. They should track this guy down so they don't have to pay to repair your boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2013

I dont have an insurance company.

I have two witness statements.
Old 07-05-2013

Its up to you then to track him down and take him to court then.
Old 07-05-2013

I shouldn't bother. Damage was minor. I don't want to bring the world of courts and lawyers and bs into the boating world. His biggest crime was brig a dick. If I be a dick in return the water will turn into land. Ill spend my time sailing instead of getting vengeance.

Thanks or all the help. In the future if I'm in a worse situation, now I know what to do.
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I shouldn't bother. Damage was minor. I don't want to bring the world of courts and lawyers and bs into the boating world. His biggest crime was brig a dick.
His being a dick is the reason to take him to court. If he was just a poor mariner but was nice and apologetic about it, I would probably just fix it myself but the fact he hits your boat and does not apologize or offer to repair it, means he is a bad person as well as a bad mariner. He brings a power buffer with him while cruising? Maybe he drags anchor each night and has to buff off the evidence each morning.

Taking him to court may cause his insurance to go up or the company to make him take some lessons. Holding him accountable would be doing a service to your fellow sailors. I would at least get an estimate for your repairs from a marina and send it to him, to see what happens.
justflie and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 07-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

You can get a written estimate, track him down, and bring him to small claims court. Photos of the damage, the estimate, police report, and a couple of affidavits should give you enough to win the case.

Worst case you are out $25 or so and really screwed up this guys day, best case you get a couple of grand to fix what he broke. You also get all of his contact info to post on the web...LOL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.