Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

You indicate bent stanchions - that usually adds up very very quickly. As far as I know you can't just un-bend stainless pipe like that unless it was very very minor. There is nothing more annoying then seeing old damage that you could have done something about but were too lazy. It's like living the event over every time you see the damage.
I had some minor gel coat fixes done during a recent haulout - about half a dozend minor dings. Cost me $800 and the work was very poorly done.
Combine those two plus the attitude of the guy (especially the attitude) and go after him. If he decides not to show for small claims court you will win a default judgement for your costs (you will need to show invoices from the yard that did the repairs - no self fix). Unfortunately, if your court system is similar to the Canadian system, a judgement in your favour is far from money in the pocket. The one case I was involved with to the tune of about $1200 or so (that was like 15 years ago or so) was a money looser for me but it was never an issue about the money but rather the attitude/principle. It felt good to let the other person know that behaviour has consequences. Just imagine the world if everybody would just roll over and say 'too much effort' ....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for pictures, police report, YARD ESTIMATE for total repair of the damage, and if you have insurance, let the insurer pursue the action against him. Make it clear that you were legally anchored and asleep and woke up to find his vessel had struck yours and damaged it.

Doublecheck any anchorage regulations for where you were, i.e. in the Northeast US there are formal anchorages where you may be required to keep an anchor watch, and you'd have a harder time explaining things if you were in violation of something like that.

But without the pictures and the police report, it becomes "he says she says" and you'll just be screwed. I think when you price out some deck damage and stanchions, you'll see why you want to pursue this.

There is no reason, NO REASON, whether you had a 1:1 scope or a 1:10 scope, to excuse a boat from being abandoned (anchored uncrewed) in a manner that allowed it to hit another boat. As the newest arrival, it is 100% their responsibility to make Real Damn Sure they don't hit anything.
chef2sail and Morild like this.
Old 07-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I shouldn't bother. Damage was minor. I don't want to bring the world of courts and lawyers and bs into the boating world. His biggest crime was brig a dick. If I be a dick in return the water will turn into land. Ill spend my time sailing instead of getting vengeance.

Thanks or all the help. In the future if I'm in a worse situation, now I know what to do.
That doesn't make sense as he will do it again to someone else. Can you post pictures of the damage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

How about post pictures of his boat, so other sailnetters know to avoid him and his boat.
downeast450, zeehag and oldfurr like this.
Old 07-05-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I found a video of him pulling into harbor tonight.

Old 07-05-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Lol. My friend here has been yelling

"Get judge, your anchor scratched my dinghy all day"
Old 07-05-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If it bent the stanchions AND the stanchion bases enough to lift them from the deck (the only way the sealant under them would move) then it probably also partly tore the mounting bolts through the underside of the deck. That's now a question of structural damage and water incursion to come, so the $200 or so to replace anbd recaulk two stanchions right now may be only a fraction of the damage.

And then next time when you DO lose your outboard and the damage is a fast thousand dollars out of pocket...remember, you let him walk away this time, and that's just going to encourage him and reinforce his view that YOU caused all this damage.

Dude needs an attitude adjustment, and there are folks like the insurers who will do that for you if you pick up the phone and fill out a paper.
zeehag likes this.
Old 07-05-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

But I don't have insurance. It's ok. It's a scratch. It happens. I just try to be so careful with my seamanship and boat maintenance that it was disrespectful.

I regret not having done something at the time but i feel it's too late.
Old 07-05-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I regret not having done something at the time but i feel it's too late.
It makes no difference if you have insurance or not, it will just take a bit more effort.
You have a police report and witnesses, it's not too late!
Old 07-06-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Spend a few bucks on one of these and hope you spot him out on the water some day
T37Chef and zeehag like this.