Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

as i am female and trawlers park wa too close to my boat--actually only one trawler, 3 times...first one i ignored, second i mentioned, THIRD time, same guy---i used my vhf to label him a stalker and he left the zihuatenejo bay ignominiously......mortified with many witnesses....
what can a guy do to make this kind of removal a fairly easy task....also--try waking up in the dark to make anchor watch checks--you may not miss the intruder into your space the next time, if you do--is one reason to always do periodic eyeball examinations of ones new neighbor hood, especially on holiday weekends in us of a....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 07-10-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

While at anchor a week ago, a guy dropped a 100 lb mushroom anchor and mooring setup 20 feet from my anchor. That was according to witnesses -- members of the New England Cruising Society (?). I was not there at the time. Granted, I had 70 feet of chain out in 10 feet of water, but with a 50 foot boat, the guy is just plain dumb.

I don't think he was being malicious. I met him a couple days before. I actually think he's just plain dumb!

Proir to him showing up with his boat, I moved our boat, figuring that a wind shift could make for a bit of a tangle.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 07-10-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Spend a few bucks on one of these and hope you spot him out on the water some day
I was thinking Claymore Fenders!

Down
zeehag likes this.
Old 07-10-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

I wish I were there....I kind of like confronting A-holes!
Old 07-10-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

What a shame! There are many things everyone would suggest you do and some are harsh. I don't know exactly how I'd react, probably confront them right away if I was sure it was their fault.
The lawyer who wrote to you and advised the right course of action is the right way to go. We all know "road rage" now we have to deal with "water rage", give me a break.
Why can't people just act nice, mind their business and have a pleasant day!
Good luck and sorry this happened to you.
Old 07-10-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
While at anchor a week ago, a guy dropped a 100 lb mushroom anchor and mooring setup 20 feet from my anchor. That was according to witnesses -- members of the New England Cruising Society (?). I was not there at the time. Granted, I had 70 feet of chain out in 10 feet of water, but with a 50 foot boat, the guy is just plain dumb.

I don't think he was being malicious. I met him a couple days before. I actually think he's just plain dumb!

Proir to him showing up with his boat, I moved our boat, figuring that a wind shift could make for a bit of a tangle.

Regards,
Brad
I can empathize. I had a similar situation about 8 years ago.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

It got worse. Some people anchored by my friend and he was sitting on his oat and told them they were too close. Thy said they were from here and knew what they were doing. As they took the dinghy in they said to us

"It's good anchorage on the other side of the bay"

Why they told is this I don't know. I think they thought thy had more rights to be there, anyways in the morning the boats start bumping so my friend gets in his dinghy and pushes their boat away and then goes back to sleep. When the other peoe get back the boats are bumping so the guy stands on his deck blowing his air horn. My friend wakes up and the guy and his wife start screaming at him how he must have moved, they weren't this close close before. The guy starts pulling up his anchor and it is under my friends and starts pulling his anchor up and bringing the boats together. They are yelling and telling him he must have moved and to pull his anchor and leave. Crazy fourth.
Old 07-10-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dropped a mooring? In what location, in what state? Not that it matters now, but usually dropping a mooring without the express permission of the bottom owner or the local government is a good way to get a discount ticket to the Policeman's Ball.

No, really, when you see an idiot? You're allowed to drop a dime on them, and let some civil servant explain the rest to them. Contrary to popular opinion, "You CAN fix stupid!"
Old 07-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It got worse. Some people anchored by my friend and he was sitting on his oat and told them they were too close. Thy said they were from here and knew what they were doing. As they took the dinghy in they said to us

"It's good anchorage on the other side of the bay"

Why they told is this I don't know. I think they thought thy had more rights to be there, anyways in the morning the boats start bumping so my friend gets in his dinghy and pushes their boat away and then goes back to sleep. When the other peoe get back the boats are bumping so the guy stands on his deck blowing his air horn. My friend wakes up and the guy and his wife start screaming at him how he must have moved, they weren't this close close before. The guy starts pulling up his anchor and it is under my friends and starts pulling his anchor up and bringing the boats together. They are yelling and telling him he must have moved and to pull his anchor and leave. Crazy fourth.
No matter how assholic these people may have been, your friend certainly bears some of the responsibility in this instance...

He awakened to the boats making contact, merely pushes them apart, and then goes back to sleep???" Seriously?

Sometimes, no matter if you were anchored first, or whatever, the most seamanlike thing to do is simply re-anchor at a safe distance from anyone who may present a threat to your boat...
Old 07-10-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Wether is anchoring to close or an annoying generator, we encounter this problem regularly. I've just accepted the world is full of morons that either don't care about anyone else or don't know any better. I don't go to busy harbors any more and just move when an idiot shows up. Not worth the agrivation.
Jim