SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What do I do if someone anchors too close? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101078-what-do-i-do-if-someone-anchors-too-close.html)

northoceanbeach 07-04-2013 03:08 PM

What do I do if someone anchors too close?

I woke up to find a new boat anchored next to me and they anchored right next to me. They hit and scratched (small) the side of my boat and hit the stanchions and bent them and broke the sealant at the base. I've put my dinghy in between us and have been fending for the last two hours. It came inches away from tearing my outboard off.

What do I do when they come back?

bljones 07-04-2013 03:14 PM

Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Ouch.
Yeah, I'd be having a "That's your boat, this is my boat, this is what your boat did to my boat, now we need to discuss how we make this right." conversation.

Having said that, did you notice they were too close when they anchored, or did their anchor drag?

northoceanbeach 07-04-2013 03:21 PM

I was still asleep when they got here. He just it back and asked how many feet I had out. I told him 160. He said well that's alot, I told him that just 3:1. He doesn't seem to care.

DRFerron 07-04-2013 03:22 PM

Take pictures if you can. Make sure you get their registration number in the picture.

Make sure that it wasn't your anchor that dragged, too. Do you make a visual fix when you anchor to determine if you're drifting?

northoceanbeach 07-04-2013 03:33 PM

I've been here a long time. I've been taking visual fixes everyday. I have two witnesses. He reanchored but didn't address the fact he hit me. Is it worth me making an issue?

smurphny 07-04-2013 03:39 PM

I would not wait for anyone to return but would call LE and get a report filed. Do you set your GPS on anchor drag alarm? That would be your proof of your position as it records your boat's track movements over time.

northoceanbeach 07-04-2013 03:43 PM

No GPS on. It's a handheld so I don't leave it on. The best proof I have is neighbors that have seen me here in the same spot. Should I make an issue or let it go? He turned his back on me when I said he scratched the boat and then reanchored.

DRFerron 07-04-2013 03:50 PM

If it was me, and it would cost major $$ to repair, I would find out what documentation my insurance company requires to file a claim. If it's something that I can fix in an hour on my own, I'd let it go.

If the other boater knows about the damage he did, regardless of whether he ignored it, there's not much you can do about that attitude.

smurphny 07-04-2013 03:52 PM

Sounds like there's considerable damage to your boat. Can't tell you what to do but if it were me, I'd report it and get LE approach the other captain to complete the report, get his insurance Co. to follow up and make a claim if you choose to do so. Don't get in a argument, just get the info. and documentation you may need.

northoceanbeach 07-04-2013 04:13 PM

Oh my gosh. He ignored me. Now he's out with a buffer buffing his boat.