Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

kloudkckr is on a distinguished road
Opinions on LP Blue Hulls

I'm looking at a 34' sailboat with a gorgeous LP painted Flag Blue hull. It's 8 years old and looks much much newer. I almost decided not to look at the boat because I've "heard things" about the upkeep of this color. Can anyone who has had experience with this color and LP please chime in and let me know if I will be spending a great deal more time on the dock caring for the paint if I were to purchase this boat? Thank you for input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinions on LP Blue Hulls

I think the boat I recently bought may have had original Navy Awlgrip from the late 80s, or at the very least, the past 13 years. It looked really bad with lots of scuffs down to the gel coat. I repainted the transom but wasn't ready to repaint the hull so got someone to buff the color back and another person who matched the paint to get rid of the scratches. It looks absolutely beautiful at 20 feet and pretty good close up. I do need scrub the salt off regularly (not just a rinse down) or it looks streaked, but that is not much work. It is really obvious when I scrape the docks a little too hard....ah well. It also needs to be buffed every 6-8 months to help it keep the shine. I hope this is helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamayun For This Useful Post:
kloudkckr (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

My new-to-me boat is a deep green. It looks beautiful from about 10 feet away. But up close, there are places where the paint has worn through, and where the sun caused the paint to heat up and peel/blister. I love the color, but it will need work and upkeep, and that makes it a bigger pain than typical gelcoat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloudkckr View Post
I'm looking at a 34' sailboat with a gorgeous LP painted Flag Blue hull. It's 8 years old and looks much much newer. I almost decided not to look at the boat because I've "heard things" about the upkeep of this color. Can anyone who has had experience with this color and LP please chime in and let me know if I will be spending a great deal more time on the dock caring for the paint if I were to purchase this boat? Thank you for input.
We've owned a flag blue hulled boat and won't do it again. Great to look at but a bear to keep looking good. Dried salt...... Arghhhhhhh....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-07-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I had my boat painted flag blue about 15 years ago (it was faded blue gel coat before). I haven't done much in the way of maintenance and it still looks good. Last year I did a thorough cleaning with Awlwash and Awlcare and it came out looking real good. I have some streaking where the deck scuppers drain not the hull sides, but overall, I think it looks pretty darn good. To me, there's something about a blue boat with a red bottom and a white boot stripe.