Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
Slip or Mooring Can?

Hello,
I've been writing and asking about different sailboats we are looking to purchase.
We are getting close and now down to just two.
The next step for us as "new to sailing" is where we keep her. The boat is on the hard about 2.5 hrs. from our home and the location is so beautiful. There are two marinas that offer availability...where it presently is has a slip available and the marina we really like only has a mooring can available. Just looking at pictures, I like the quietness and the space that a mooring can allows.
We don't have a dinghy, so that's one negative I guess to the mooring can. Can someone please offer their experiences?
Cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013
dockbum

dockbumdan is on a distinguished road
Re: Slip or Mooring Can?

Having done both. My advise is as follows:
Take the slip first, get used to your boat and living aboard, while the
cost of ownership and daily life is lower on a ball, the investment required
to prepare the boat for mooring life is higher plus the inconvenance of minor items
can mount quickly. Grocery purchases require dinky rides, laundry and trash removal,
pumpouts, etc all require planing. Once you have spent time at the slip and can handle
the boat life, spend some time anchored for a few days. If you really like the solidtude
after being on the hook for a week or two, then move yourself and the boat over to a mooring ball.
Slip W=11
Georgetown, Md.21930
Sassafras River, Md.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2013

mgb69 is on a distinguished road
Slip or Mooring Can?

It's all about convenience vs cost.
My club has a tender service that will buzz me out to the boat and back with minimal effort (my dinghy stays roiled up in the lazerette).
But if I return to the club late then I need to tie up temporarily to the dock or get out the dinghy.

I'm not in a slip, but the convenience factor is obvious. Walk right on and off the boat. But it's an extra chunk of $.

Not sure how much the location attractiveness of your mooring ball matters. I rarely sit on the boat at my mooring - when I get there we head out sailing, or I'm underneath dealing with the to do list. But I know people who will sit at the mooring to eat dinner or have a drink.

You need to figure out your own plans.
Does the club offer any services? Tender? Dinghy storage?
2.5 hrs from home likely means you will be headed to the boat for days at a time rather than a quick sail.
Mark
Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb69 View Post
It's all about convenience vs cost.
My club has a tender service that will buzz me out to the boat and back with minimal effort (my dinghy stays roiled up in the lazerette).
But if I return to the club late then I need to tie up temporarily to the dock or get out the dinghy.

I'm not in a slip, but the convenience factor is obvious. Walk right on and off the boat. But it's an extra chunk of $.

Not sure how much the location attractiveness of your mooring ball matters. I rarely sit on the boat at my mooring - when I get there we head out sailing, or I'm underneath dealing with the to do list. But I know people who will sit at the mooring to eat dinner or have a drink.

You need to figure out your own plans.
Does the club offer any services? Tender? Dinghy storage?
2.5 hrs from home likely means you will be headed to the boat for days at a time rather than a quick sail.
Mark
I think we all have to figure out our own plans, its just nice to understand from experience what others do. The distance does require longer stays and that's just fine. I look forward to spending time onboard, cooking, reading and planning. I just thought spending that time on a mooring can vs. a slip would provide that solitude.
It's definitely cheaper and I know they have no problem letting folks tie up at the slip to load supplies etc. A small dinghy is on the shopping list.
Do you still own a 69B, I'm selling my 72 to buy our sailboat.
Cheers,
Old 07-07-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockbumdan View Post
Having done both. My advise is as follows:
Take the slip first, get used to your boat and living aboard, while the
cost of ownership and daily life is lower on a ball, the investment required
to prepare the boat for mooring life is higher plus the inconvenance of minor items
can mount quickly. Grocery purchases require dinky rides, laundry and trash removal,
pumpouts, etc all require planing. Once you have spent time at the slip and can handle
the boat life, spend some time anchored for a few days. If you really like the solidtude
after being on the hook for a week or two, then move yourself and the boat over to a mooring ball.
I've done both, too. And, this is good advice.
zeehag and Seaduction like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

you may enjoy this lifestyle longer if you do the slip first thing....when you decide you enjoy being a pioneer in the 1820s, then progress along....
jgeissinger and rugosa like this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you may enjoy this lifestyle longer if you do the slip first thing....when you decide you enjoy being a pioneer in the 1820s, then progress along....
Don't get this one?
Old 07-07-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalina-Lona View Post
Don't get this one?
Hardships? Lots of extra work? Lack of power/conveniences?
zeehag and rugosa like this.
Old 07-07-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Were I 2 1/2 hours away I think I'd rest easier at home knowing I was in a slip. Around here there are probably more sailboats on moorings than in slips. But they also seem to be the boats coming in to the yard for repairs more frequently whenever a storm blows through. Even if you do everything right, someone else slips their mooring and plays bumper pool through the field. You can always head out and anchor for the weekend to find that secluded spot.

Also, since you're likely to be spending weekends, having shoreside showers? and Head? easily accessible means you would need to fill water tanks and pump out the holding tank less frequently.
Old 07-07-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Not sure exactly what boats you have narrowed things down to. Your other posts point to 70's 27-30' boats. Older boats mean more maintenance, more tools, more power. Fact of life. When you need a part from WM it is a lot easier to walk down the dock to your car and go than get from the boat to the dink to the dock to the car. I also have a theory that the average persons projects take at least three trips to the hardware for things that they did not think they needed.
The other posts also make sense to me. If you are driving 2 1/2 hours to the boat it is a lot more convenient to step on board with your supplies than to take a dink to the boat, boat to the dock, boat back to the mooring. same with water, holding tanks, showers, etc.. The end of your weekend topping off water tanks and pumping out holding tanks is not the best memory of the weekend.
Convenience, even though you pay for it, will get the boat used more often. The 2 1/2 hours is tough enough (this from soneone who had a cottage 6 hours away from home and still used it a lot), but then add the time to get on the boat and get settled and it adds another hour minimum.
Try the slip until you are familiar with the boat and then make the mooring decision after a years use.