Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wrap up......... (I'm killing time until we get favorable current this afternoon)

I scanned the thread to tally where all are on this. Not perfect, but I included those that supported the idea of no blinding lights and those that liked the OP as being favorable. I counted those that blistered the sacrilege, called me names, or simply quoted the regulation, with no stated opinion on the point of the OP, as unfavorable.

I tried not to count any poster twice.

Favorable 15
Unfavorable 13

Pretty good conversation as I see it.

There were also 2 that were so neutral I couldn't tell and 3 thread drifts. The undecided, as it were, could very well make it a tie.

Survey and thread is now complete.
creative math.

The fact is I count at least 19 of the posters agreed with following the laws and the regulations and either have or employ some type of lighting on their dinghy s. Many of the products are imperfect as we have discussed, and their attachment as well as their unwanted illumination without modifications are necessary. Thanks to all who opted their modifications of their set ups to remain compliant.

As Take5 asked for, the regulations are stated that you must have some type do lighting, in the dark, at the very minimal a white 360. That's a fact. The regulation has been posted twice for everyone to puruse. If it shines it your eyes, modify it as others have posted how to do.

I really don't want to continue posting on this topic, but will as my fear is that someone new to boating will come along and read this thread and feel is ok to run their dinghy dark in a harbor without proper illuminative navigation lights to be seen and that it is a common approved practice to do that. it is against the safe boating tegulations we all should abide by. The unfortunate disagreement comes because the OP arrogantly continues to defend his illegal practice.

To run dark in a dark harbor is irresponsible to others, and illegal as well. To pick and choose which regulations to follow on personal " feelings or beliefs" and endanger others is callous disregard for authority and other boaters.

A boat whether a dinghy or a ship at night should not be run dark.....that's common sense. Even one anchored has a light on.
jackdale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post

Does anyone know if hypalon glue will work on velcro loop patches? Our registration (soft) plate came off the port side and the dinghy's a bit ugly there now. (Port side registration is now roped on, fore and aft.) So I need to get some of the (expensive!) glue again anyway.

Regards,
Brad
I wouldn't bother with velcro, it doesn't do very well when subject to UV over time...

As mentioned earlier, I mount my bow light using the suction cup mount, but securing it with a three-way 'bridle' of sorts from solid elastomer cord... One 'leg' attaches to the lifting handle forward, the other 2 run aft and to each side to points on the bow storage bag... it's a very secure setup, and has the additional advantage of working even when the dinghy chaps are in place... Sorry I don't have a pic handy, but surely you must have some attachment points somewhere up forward to run shock cord to?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-10-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
For clarification, I did not call you a moron, I said "making yourself sound like a complete moron". I believe there is a difference, nonetheless you interpreted that I did, my apologies to you Minnewaska.

I understand your frustration, but don't believe one should run dark in the circumstance you described.
Cheers mate. We can't all agree on everything. I consider it behind us and we'll move on. Doubt that will be the case for some others.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

While we are sharing... I secretly sit in my dinghy at the dock at night, with the lights off, making various engine noises.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 07-10-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Don't laugh...

I sometimes wear a headlamp (360 degree white light) on top of my head using the strap as a chin strap. Yes, I rearrange the strap so I'm wearing it as a regular headlamp as I approach the dock so no one sees me .

Of course I concur that the ColRegs under 7 meters, under 7 knots, need only an all around white light or, if practical also side lights.

What would make sense is to permit one to use a 67.5 degree stern light and side lights on a small vessel so that one would maintain night vision...but that would make sense and we cannot expect the government to start making sense.
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I wouldn't bother with velcro, it doesn't do very well when subject to UV...
Then I could make an oversized hook-side cover to protect the part glued to the dinghy. At least it will stay in place.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 07-10-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I had a sailboat stern light on my runabout I coudl switch on in place of the 360 degree light. It was not "legal", but usually the last mile home was 6 knots weaving around a ton of unlit moored boats. I figured the increased viz was worth the "risk" of being mistaken for a sailboat. I never ran on plane that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Don't laugh...

I sometimes wear a headlamp (360 degree white light) on top of my head using the strap as a chin strap. Yes, I rearrange the strap so I'm wearing it as a regular headlamp as I approach the dock so no one sees me .

Of course I concur that the ColRegs under 7 meters, under 7 knots, need only an all around white light or, if practical also side lights.

What would make sense is to permit one to use a 67.5 degree stern light and side lights on a small vessel so that one would maintain night vision...but that would make sense and we cannot expect the government to start making sense.

Old 07-11-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I realize that while we all have differences of opinion about what is a safety priority, we're all on sailnet because we care to take the time to discuss how to improve. I think dinghy lights are a low priority, but I'm in a different location so alot of you seem to be in Maryland. Maybe it's more crowded and rowdy there and they are more important.

I've got oars anyways. I don't have to legally have a light.
Old 07-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I realize that while we all have differences of opinion about what is a safety priority, we're all on sailnet because we care to take the time to discuss how to improve. I think dinghy lights are a low priority, but I'm in a different location so alot of you seem to be in Maryland. Maybe it's more crowded and rowdy there and they are more important.

I've got oars anyways. I don't have to legally have a light.
At least one oar anyway

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-11-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Lol? One oar?