Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I use an Aqua Signal bow light with a suction cup... of course, a suction cup is essentially worthless on any surface that is not absolutely clean, any amount of salt spray or dew will render it useless... And as I often have dinghy chaps on my tender anyway, I use a bridle of shock cord running to the bow handle, and the pair of attachment points for the spray cover/bow bag that works just fine...

There a new series of LED dinghy/emergency nav lights from NaviSafe, they look pretty slick... Unfortunately, looks like they don't make a dedicated bow light, but only a tricolor, so the white portion will kill your vision unless elevated... Pricey, naturally - but the only ones I know of that have been CG approved:

Defender.com Search Results: navisafe: Navigation Lights

A product line of mounts from Railblaza includes a mount that can be glued onto hypalon or PVC, and used in conjunction with such lights...

RAILBLAZA RIBPort with StarPort Multifunctional Mount

Those look pretty slick. I use the Aquasignal version of this type of setup -- i.e., permanent mount glued to the bow with a red/green light that goes in it. I might like this design better, as the Aquasignal one requires the use of a pin to hold the light in place. For the all around light, it mounts on a pole that clamps to the stern engine mount. It works pretty well although if you don't want to leave them on the dink you have to take them with you. Sort of like carrying two decent sized flashlights, and the all around light actually works pretty well for that purpose. They are LEDs, so last pretty long. They actually got a lot of use during the 12 days we had without power after Sandy -- as nightlights for the kids.
T37Chef likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I use these:
Clip on Boat Light Navigation LED Marine Sail Portable dingy Sea Kayak Zodiak JS | eBay

The clips will break, so I use velcro. They may or may not be legal, but they do show up well and are better than nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Definitely worthwhile to be carrying a powerful handleld searchlight, if for no other reason to deter the annoying use of one by another vessel. A few seconds of a 2 million candlepower light trained directly at them usually does the trick.
Now, that's the kind of advice I was looking for.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Flame on. I have them, but I don't usually turn them on, particularly the white omni directional one, which illuminates inside the dinghy and destroys night vision.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Your thread title is deceiving, I assummed at first you were referring to running lights, not spot light.....?
I meant that I don't use running lights, which seemed to cause some yahoo to light me up, like a felon from a police helicopter with their spot light.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-08-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

If you don't use at least a white light that can be seen from 360-degrees while dinghying at night in Marathon, FL, you're in for a rude awakening - a hefty fine and no warnings. A lot of folks easily solved the light in the cockpit problem by mounting the light at the top of a 4-foot pole attached to the transom, and attaching a small, plastic dinner plate directly beneath the light. This prevented all the spillover light from entering the cockpit, thereby preserving your night vision. I should have taken a photo of that, but unfortunately, it's one of the many I didn't shoot.

Cheers,

Gary
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
If you don't use at least a white light that can be seen from 360-degrees while dinghying at night in Marathon, FL, you're in for a rude awakening - a hefty fine and no warnings. A lot of folks easily solved the light in the cockpit problem by mounting the light at the top of a 4-foot pole attached to the transom, and attaching a small, plastic dinner plate directly beneath the light. This prevented all the spillover light from entering the cockpit, thereby preserving your night vision. I should have taken a photo of that, but unfortunately, it's one of the many I didn't shoot.

Cheers,

Gary
Is that true for unmotorized dinks in Marathon?
Old 07-08-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Don't use them on the dink because I haven't been dinking after dark in a while but I got these for the Dovekie. From Attwood.

Do you use dinghy lights?-attwood-lights.jpg

Do you use dinghy lights?-attwood-led-batt-pwred-lights.jpg

Last edited by fryewe; 07-08-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Annotations on pix
Old 07-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Flame on. I have them, but I don't usually turn them on, particularly the white omni directional one, which illuminates inside the dinghy and destroys night vision.

The other night, I was riding back to our mooring after dinner in Edgartown Harbor. I mention the location for those familair with the fairly small harbor that is almost entirely surrounded by homes. It is a crystal clear night and I point out that you can see the outline of the Milky Way in the sky.

With your eyes even slightly adjusted, you can see all the boats from the light coming from the houses alone. Your mooring is going to be between the two shores, even a stinkpotter could figure that out. Granted, another may not see us well, but a collision is impossible to conceive and I do have a light if it was necessary to identify ourselves.

I ask because on our way to our mooring, there is another dinghy with all their lights and a search light on! The are scanning the harbor like they were searching for a lost baby. Naturally the sweep ends up repeatedly in my eyes, ruining my night vision. As they get closer and closer, they find the dastardly target they just knew was lurking in the dark. Us! The dinghy with no lights. Their search light focuses on us like an escaping prisoner at the tree line. I was trying to decide whether to put my hands up or open fire. We are on opposing parallel course passing about 100 ft apart! What the heck are they doing. I have to throttle back, wait for the inquisition to end, regain my night vision and proceed.

The moral.... if you can't see at night, how about not dragging the rest of us down with you. However, I will bet you can see much better with zero light than some may think. In fact, youll be able to see more than just the focus of your search light beam. Old night combat trick was to look about 10 degrees away from what you're trying to see in the dark. Your peripheral sight is much better in the dark than straight on. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Next rant installment from this cruise.... Radio checks on ch 16.
Funny

Sorry Minnie you caused the incident. You were traveling unsafe. If your own light blinds you either slow down, or put a plate below the light like we have.
( ours ) is attached to the stern on a strut 4 ft high with a plate under the light so it isn't blinding in the dinghy. We also have a R/G velcroed to the bow

You complain about the boat who lit you up even though you are clearly in the wrong running dark. He had his lights you don't. He can obviously hear another motor (yours) but doesn't know where it is. Doesn't want to run into it. How does he know its a dinghy? Maybe its a fishing boat running dark? Am I missing something here?

The point is not how well you can see in the dark. The point is that you ARE seen in the dark. Not just seen, but your lights identify your direction and if a collision is possible.

To me running dark is irresponsible and an unsafe practice and endangers your boat as well as others. It makes no difference its a dinghy and if I remember correctly you have a large dinghy with a large hp engine.

Arent you as a pilot of an aircraft are you required to have lights on at night in an aircraft flying? Are all aircraft required to or just jets?

I don't advocate those search lights either. However If I head a motor coming at me and I not see any lights I would light you up also. In todays age you lucky people don't think you are running and boarding their boats and don't have a shot gun loaded.
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Anyone who has spent any time in the service on the ground knows unaided night vision is better than a light, which ruins night vision and focuses vision in a narrow range. Having said that, rules are rules on lighting up the dinghy. You need at least a 360 degree white light.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-08-2013

Chef, should have known the likely source of the first flame I predicted at the beginning of my OP.

Seems you missed the description of precisely how lit the harbor is and how the offending boater was limiting, not improving their sight.

I will rest comfortably knowing that 90% of the dinghies around me have no running lights, but yours will be on.

Jeanneau 54DS