Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Don't use them on the dink because I haven't been dinking after dark in a while but I got these for the Dovekie. From Attwood.

Attachment 14830

Attachment 14831
Exactly what we have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i used to use em, then i left usa and sd bay, looked for them last year, but they were rotted out and no longer usable..lol they donot last long for the money ....
is much more pleasant here without the water nazis...
and do keep a good flashlight on ye at all times if gonna be out in a dink at night--
pangas come out of no where and is good if they know where ye are, so they wont hit you.
as for finding ones own boat in darkness--is why gods made unique lighting for you to use as cockpit or anchor lighting so you appear as a different thing to hit than the neighbors....in a crowded anchorage it can make a lot of difference.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 07-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Chef, should have known the likely source of the first flame I predicted at the beginning of my OP.

Seems you missed the description of precisely how lit the harbor is and how the offending boater was limiting, not improving their sight.

I will rest comfortably knowing that 90% of the dinghies around me have no running lights, but yours will be on.
No one flamed you poor sir just disagreed with you that's all.

I have anchored and also been to Edgartown. Not sure what your point is. I agreed with your comment and Captain Tony that you can see at night well without light

Again the purpose is to be seen by others. That's the safe thing to do. And yes mine will be on

I guess I need to ride with a 2,000,000 candlepower flashlight now in that area. Who knows what is speeding around in the dark Least I will spot it before it slices us in half

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-08-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I once forget my light and was doing 15 knots in the dark with my excellent night vision and clearly moonlit water avoiding all obstacles with ease unitl I almost got T-Boned by ANOTHER dinghy going 20 knots + in the dark that did not see me

BTW - airplanes ARE required to have running lights no matter what size. They used to just be the same as a boat, but it wa quickly discovered that fixed lights blend right in to ground lights and starlight, so a flashing light was added and then later on strobes.
chef2sail likes this.

Old 07-08-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Could we get some clarification on what the REQUIREMENTS are? Then let's separate that from the best practices that may go over and above the requirements - or choose to not meet them due to night vision or lax enforcement in certain areas.

My understanding is that in US waters, an unmotorized (rowing) dinghy only requires a flashlight, not a 360 degree white light nor a red/green bow light.

A motorized boat dinghy would require red/green bow light plus a 360 degree white light on the stern. Technically, a tricolor red/green/white light like sailboats use would not be sufficient because the white is neither 360 degrees nor at the stern.

Is that correct?

It could be argued that a rowing dinghy needs to be lighted more than a motorized boat, because it's not going to be able to get out of another boat's way. But that's not how I read the regs.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I meant that I don't use running lights, which seemed to cause some yahoo to light me up, like a felon from a police helicopter with their spot light.
Ok, I think I got it now...you dont use running lights, not even a 360 white light on your motorized dingy at night but you are pissed that someone lite you up with their spot light?
chef2sail likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
The Following User Says Thank You to T37Chef For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Rulz is rulz so you have to show a light (or lights). Sometimes it may make sense not to show a light - a well lit anchorage or perhaps in a remote anchorage where you are enjoying the moon - but legal it is not.

If you choose not to show lights in the wrong place you may find yourself starting a new thread about legalizing drugs after you're hassled by (fill in the agency) that uses their FLIR or night vision to spot you and wonder if your lights are out because you are hauling contraband.
chef2sail likes this.
DJR351 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I confess we do not use lights when rowing although yes we do carry a torch but always carry (lights that is) when motoring. I'm afraid that under power too much happens too quickly not to have lights.

(calrification ... if rowing across a channel or in open water I'd have lights even when rowing but for shore to mooring not so.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-08-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Last time I checked, running lights were required for all vessels, powered, sail or rowed. You may want to take a look at

If you want specifics for each state, especially Florida, try rowing through Boot Key Harbor in January at night with no lights at all. Someone in a uniform will politely explain the law to you, chapter and verse, while he or she writes you a citation that will really piss you off. Same holds true with anchor lights. There were a lot of unhappy campers that thought because they were on a mooring ball they didn't need anchor lights - WRONG! Yep, they were cited as well.

Good luck on staying alive very long while running that dink at night with no lights.

Gary
Old 07-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Do you use dinghy lights?

I just glanced around the dinghy dock. There are exactly 37 dinghies. I see running lights of any kind on 4.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.