Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Thank you Coquina! These may be exactly what I am looking for and if I still have internet tomorrow (and I'm not too busy fending off the drag-fest) as Chantal passes by, I shall order some.
For our part, the point is not legality, but being seen, period. And if fortune continues to smile upon us we will never have to deal with the water nazis of Florida, Marathon in particularly, ever again.
Viva the freedom of self responsibility that being outside the US brings.
Old 07-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Whats exactly is your point Minnie? My running lights are not on the dingy when its hanging on the davits for reasons stated previously, f'in dingy manufactures apparently think like you and don't use running lights (until you get into the larger, faster dingies/tenders).

My all around white light and r/g bow light are in a dingy bag thats is kept in a locker on the mother ship until the dingy is deployed.
chef2sail likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Capta, the lights regulations are International - not US. And, those regulations have been around for more than a century. Guess you just have been very fortunate in that someone has not run over your dink in the middle of the night, or someone in another country just don't care if you get run over and die.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 07-08-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Last time I checked, running lights were required for all vessels, powered, sail or rowed. You may want to take a look at Navigation light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want specifics for each state, especially Florida, try rowing through Boot Key Harbor in January at night with no lights at all. Someone in a uniform will politely explain the law to you, chapter and verse, while he or she writes you a citation that will really piss you off. Same holds true with anchor lights. There were a lot of unhappy campers that thought because they were on a mooring ball they didn't need anchor lights - WRONG! Yep, they were cited as well.

Good luck on staying alive very long while running that dink at night with no lights.

Gary
Straying Off Topic I know but re the anchor light when moored and nav lights on a dinghy .... they are purely local regulations correct ?

See section re rowing boats and lights. According to the Colregs only a torch is required.

Now I don't see confirmation of this in the ColRegs but as far as I am aware if on a registered mooring no light is required nor is one required when anchored in a designated anchorage. Not to say don't light up just to be safe.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-08-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Not sure about rowed, but under power, the international regs apply, at least that's my interpretation. I could be wrong, though. My wife tells me that all the time.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 07-08-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Not sure about rowed, but under power, the international regs apply, at least that's my interpretation. I could be wrong, though. My wife tells me that all the time.

Cheers,

Gary
You too eh ? Thing that really bugs me is that she of course is usually correct.

Actually though .... power under seven metres and max speed no more than seven knots must carry white light.

So despite what they say size really does matter. I guess she was right again.
RobGallagher likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

If you want specifics for each state, especially Florida, try rowing through Boot Key Harbor in January at night with no lights at all. Someone in a uniform will politely explain the law to you, chapter and verse, while he or she writes you a citation that will really piss you off. Same holds true with anchor lights. There were a lot of unhappy campers that thought because they were on a mooring ball they didn't need anchor lights - WRONG! Yep, they were cited as well.
Here's some further explanation of the confusing situation that exists in the Boot Key Harbor mooring field...

Cruiser's Net » Archive » Where Anchor Lights Are Required in The Florida Keys ? It May Surprise You
Old 07-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Whats exactly is your point Minnie? My running lights are not on the dingy when its hanging on the davits for reasons stated previously, f'in dingy manufactures apparently think like you and don't use running lights (until you get into the larger, faster dingies/tenders).

My all around white light and r/g bow light are in a dingy bag thats is kept in a locker on the mother ship until the dingy is deployed.
I don't get what is so unclear to you. I mentioned dinghies witnessed at the transient dinghy dock, not on their davits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 07-08-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Here's a clever solution to the problem of mounting bow/side lights... Not entirely copacetic, as they can be visible from points further aft than a legal sidelight should be, but still - certainly better than nothing...

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Life Gear LED Glow Sticks, a nav light solution for tenders?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-08-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Straying Off Topic I know but re the anchor light when moored and nav lights on a dinghy .... they are purely local regulations correct ?

[.
Not local, federal regs. Local can be even more strict;

Navigation Rules Online

Rule 23 - Power-driven Vessels Underway Return to the top of the page
(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit (click on icon to see picture Power Driven Vessel Underway 50m or greater
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;Power Driven Vessel Underway less than 50m
(iii) sidelights: and
(iv) a sternlight.

(b) An air-cushion vessel when operating in nondisplacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) Air Cushion Vessel in Displacement Mode of this Rule, exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light, where it can best be seen. Air Cushion Vessel in Nondisplacement Mode

[(c) A WIG craft only when taking off, landing and in flight near the surface shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit a high intensity all-round flashing red light.]

(c | d) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights. Power Driven Vessel less than 12m

[(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.] Power Driven Vessel less than 7m [(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centerline of the vessel if centerline fitting is not practicable, provided the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.]
jimkyle99 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.