Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't get what is so unclear to you. I mentioned dinghies witnessed at the transient dinghy dock, not on their davits.
Quote:
I will rest comfortably knowing that 90% of the dinghies around me have no running lights, but yours will be on. Minnewaska
Let me clarify for you Minnie,

I think understood Shawn's point was that most people do not leave the nav lights attached to their dinghies whether in davits or at the transient dock. They can be easily stolen, so the fact you don't see them doesn't mean they don't have them.

We store ours in a bag under the seat and use them only needed.
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

The COLREGS (section 23) state "A power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres (23.0 ft) whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots (13 km/h; 8 mph) must be capable of showing a white light"

To me, this can be interpreted as "any powered boat under 7 metres not planing" and the description of the lights makes no mention to being both "all round" nor required to be "constantly lit". The sticking point obviously is that this clause implies that this technically doesn't apply to a vessel capable of exceeding a 7 knot limit (i.e. planing), even if it does not exceed that limit whilst travelling at night.

My tender can only exceed 7 knots if dropped out of an airplane, so my solution is to wear one of those LED headlamps that has red, green and white lights. I use the red light to retain night vision (and try not to look to the right whilst doing so lol) and I can switch on the white torch part if I see/hear another boat nearby or when approaching my own boat (so I can see what I'm doing!). I should note that where my boat is moored is so dark that on a cloudy moonless night with a bit of breeze causing haze that it is impossible to see a boat, white or otherwise, outside of about 10 metres so their is a definite advantage to retaining as much night vision as possible.
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

No. Running lights on dinghys are for pussies.

Marathon soundsike a POS by the way. The water doesn't need excessive ticketing and enforcement. Another thread that makes me glad today I'm not in Florida.
Old 07-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Firstly, let me say that when a thread starts with "The Rules state . . . ." I just move on. When I need to read the rules I read the rules.

I have often thought about getting one of those caps the kids use to wear with a propeller on top and replace the propeller with a light. That way I could have an all-round white and preserve my night vision and still see things around me.

Or what about a light INSIDE the inflatable tubes - make the whole dink glow!! that'll scare the bejesus out of the midnight zoomers?

I agree with the sentiments that being able to see things coming at me, lit or unlit, is more important than others seeing me. So for me preservation of my night vision is prime. I have a dink that can get up a good turn of speed but at night I generally travel slowly. That gives me the ability to get out of the way of the things that are coming at me and also avoid things that are standing still. If I can see it, I can avoid it. If my night vision is destroyed by an all-round white in my dink then I probably won't avoid it. I don't know how to make that sound complicated. It's too simple.

So if there is a rule that says I MUST have an all-round white in my dink, I'm afraid I'm going to break it. You don't have to worry about seeing me, I'll see you.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-09-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I hit someone doing EXACTLY as you describe. They were in a black inflatable with no lights on a dark night. No damage was done because I was going about 5 knots. They could not look everywhere at once. A little farther out and I would have been doing 35 knots and they would be dead.

Old 07-09-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
...A little farther out and I would have been doing 35 knots and they would be dead.
Doing 35 knots at nighttime is presumptive negligence, IMO. No excuse for it, no matter how much artificial light you or others have. What if you hit a log at that speed?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-09-2013

Logs are my problem. If you have no lights, that can end up being YOUR problem.

Old 07-09-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

funny thing--one night i was dinghying home from a job i had in san diego bay , and i ran over a deadhead in my way...didnt know what it was until the engine flipped up then down,.... hhmmm....dark as inside a cow and ...ok....no damage, just ran over it...good thing the engines are designed to do just that---and the dink didnt seem to mind one bit--was just a weird speed bump in the dark---0100, actually.....

oh yeah--in sd bay, if you wish to go without dink lights, 0100 is perfect, as nazis of water have coffee from 2200-0300 or so every night..lol ...

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 07-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

OMG, I returned in the dead of night again and could actually see my boat from shore. no one requires a spotnlight, nor ru ning lights on the target vessel to see at night. When they blast thier spot light, they ruin theirs and others night vision for nothing.

That yahoo the other night started well on the other side of the harbor. It clearly wouldn't have mattered if we had running lights on. They were on the hunt for every moored boat along the way and every dinghy, running lights or not. The moored balls aren't lit either, by the way.

Lest anyone failed to notice, I said I do have lights for the dink, which is an 11 ft RIB with 18 hp motor. Bigger than some, but not among the larger units with built in lights. I've never measured, but I suspect it is capable of doing more than 7 knots. At night, we never are close. I would use lights in low viz conditions. My beef is where running lights are doing more harm than good and with yahoos sweeping a spot light around.

Based on the actual comings and goings at the transient dinghy dock last evening, it seems 90% of dinks aren't using lights and I've not heard of anyone ever being cited. I suppose someone may have had them squirreled away somewhere that I couldn't see them, but it not buying that was many that intended to use them. I have them squirreled away, but most dinks don't have anywhere to hide anything. A bag under the seat for security, now that's funny. I saw many underway and it was the fractional minority using running lights. Seems they couldn't find their own bag, if they had one. Thankfully, no one with a spot light last night. Again, clear skies and you could see boats from a few hundred yards away.

I will bet I'm ahead of most by having PFDs for everyone, an anchor, paddle and distress signals. When not in cell range, I bring a handheld too. But, the lights on a clear bright night are dumb.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-09-2013

My running lights do NOT shine any light in your eyes nor illuminate the inside of the boat and only cost $15

Something even cheaper we used to do was use a $4 solar garden light. They have a spike fitting on the bottom you can stick in a piece of PVC pipe and hold or bungee on to the boat.

Last edited by Coquina; 07-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.