Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Glow sticks and dull garden lights make more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Naturally, my whole point is contradictory to the regs. I'm not mistaken about that.

However, on the ColRegs, I find two things interesting.

First, it says an all-around white light. I see nothing about its illumination and its the degree of illumination that I have a beef with. So, a dull white light that could hardly be seen would seemingly comply. Regulations are never written with complete foresight into what is safe and what is not.

More interesting is the requirement to exhibit sidelights, if practicable. For those that have installed mounts and have them in a bag under your seat, I suppose they have become practicable and you become obligated to use them and insure the batteries are never dead. I prefer to be able to use my discretion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
OMG, I returned in the dead of night again and could actually see my boat from shore. no one requires a spotnlight, nor ru ning lights on the target vessel to see at night. When they blast thier spot light, they ruin theirs and others night vision for nothing.

That yahoo the other night started well on the other side of the harbor. It clearly wouldn't have mattered if we had running lights on. They were on the hunt for every moored boat along the way and every dinghy, running lights or not. The moored balls aren't lit either, by the way.

Lest anyone failed to notice, I said I do have lights for the dink, which is an 11 ft RIB with 18 hp motor. Bigger than some, but not among the larger units with built in lights. I've never measured, but I suspect it is capable of doing more than 7 knots. At night, we never are close. I would use lights in low viz conditions. My beef is where running lights are doing more harm than good and with yahoos sweeping a spot light around.

Based on the actual comings and goings at the transient dinghy dock last evening, it seems 90% of dinks aren't using lights and I've not heard of anyone ever being cited. I suppose someone may have had them squirreled away somewhere that I couldn't see them, but it not buying that was many that intended to use them. I have them squirreled away, but most dinks don't have anywhere to hide anything. A bag under the seat for security, now that's funny. I saw many underway and it was the fractional minority using running lights. Seems they couldn't find their own bag, if they had one. Thankfully, no one with a spot light last night. Again, clear skies and you could see boats from a few hundred yards away.

I will bet I'm ahead of most by having PFDs for everyone, an anchor, paddle and distress signals. When not in cell range, I bring a handheld too. But, the lights on a clear bright night are dumb.
Still trying to stubbronly prove your right.

What is dumb here is your continued ridiculing of those who follow the procedures of safety.

You whine when I am sarcastic to you, but have no problem posting something dripping with it. I have never ever heard you admit you are wrong about anything, but we have gotten used to that

Fact- You are clearly breaking the law here.
Fact- You are clearly arrogant about it and continue to try and justify it
Fact- You beleive you know better than the law and most others and beleive
you are superior to orthers in judgement and knowledge
Fact- [B]A newbie or one uninformed should not follow your example or take
your advice in this as it CLEARLY becomes a safety issue for others
as well as you[/B
Fact- I doubt you are ahead of most having a PFS for everyone, an anchor
a paddle, distress signals and ahandheld. We carry that and even wear
our PFDs ( required on our dinghy). For you to make that statement shows
your feelings of superiority of others
Fact- You stated you have running lights on the boat, why not even just
light up the red and green, That wont affect your night vision.
Arrogance that why.

You started the thread whining about someone lighting you up on a parallel course when you were running dark. Almost everyone who has posted here can understand why that happened. Arrogant superior you is still clueless as to why as eveidenced by your reaction and running dark again.

Just follow the law and the rules. Make it safe for the rest of us. I dont want to run into you in the dark unlit when you dont have to be that way and it is illegal to be that way.

Your MO is to follow with a personal attack on me, when I disagree with you. Will we be disappointed?
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013

Fact. Chef, you just went on my ignore list. Only the second ever. Feel free to do the same.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Fact. Chef, you just went on my ignore list. Only the second ever. Feel free to do the same.
Finally..I wont have to endure your arrogant replies. I will continue to not put you on my ignore list as occasionally you come up with some good thoughts and ideas which are appropriate for me to ponder or use.

Run dark....Run deep....just run away

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I agree with chef2sail/Dave here. Minniwaska, seems you're so caught up in your desire to prove you were right and the dude shining the light all over the place was wrong you are doing a fine job of making yourself sound like a complete moron IMO.

I am done debating the stupidity of this whole argument with you, it is just so freaking frustrating when a poster as active as you post something so ridiculous (IMO).

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 07-09-2013

jimkyle99 is on a distinguished road

I know this is going to make me sound like a bitch but for those of you arguing about the rules - buy a copy of the Navigation Rules (West Marine $10) and read Part C.
For those of you arguing about whether you should follow the rules or not - That's why god made lawyers and insurance companies.
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyle99 View Post
I know this is going to make me sound like a bitch but for those of you arguing about the rules - buy a copy of the Navigation Rules (West Marine $10) and read Part C.
For those of you arguing about whether you should follow the rules or not - That's why god made lawyers and insurance companies.
Jimkyle99

I will repost the link which I provided I think back on page 3 of this thread which included the pamphlet you bought at West Marine. These are the
complete rules

Navigation Rules Online

I am assuming you are referring to Part c section 20

Quote:
The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.
If installed PROPERTLY navigation lights should not impair visability, Certainlky there is no argument for the red/ green one at all. It is the REPSONSIBILITY of the boater to install properly and it is easily possible to do. It just takes the willingness to comply and be safe for others.

In addition I will refer you to section 23Dii again

Quote:
[(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.]
Hopefully what you bought at West Marine has the complete set of rules.

In this case the OP refuses to comply with the obvious rules making it unsafe for his fellow boaters. Because of that he was "lit up" by a spotlight of an approaching dinghy to find t where he was and avoid a collision. Had the OP had the sense to have navigation lights lit, the dinghy which lit him up wouldn't have shined his light in his eyes, as he 1- knew where he was and the direction he was traveling and 2- knew that he would have blinded him

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Maybe you shouldn't be going 35 at night in an area where there are dinghys. I'm sure if you hit and kill someone even if they are not using lights you are going to have a big problem.
zeehag likes this.
Old 07-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Verbal fisticuffs over...dinghy lights??!!
eherlihy, zeehag and Minnewaska like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (08-06-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.