Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Doubt it. Kind of like running around on I-95 in a dark outfit with a black skimask at night, no one would be surprised if you get run over. If you just HAVE to have a small black boat at night with no lights, at least stay in the 6 MPH zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Maybe you shouldn't be going 35 at night in an area where there are dinghys. I'm sure if you hit and kill someone even if they are not using lights you are going to have a big problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

It's exactly like being on I95. Good analogy. I stand corrected.

I'm going sailing today but I can't get out of the bay I'm in. I guess it's rush hour. Bumper to bumper out there or fender to fender.

If you are going fast you need to be able to see whether it has a light on it or not. A callous group on here sometimes. Some very entitled people. Care more about who's right and wrong and not about hitting or killing someone. No room for error with alot of you.
Old 07-09-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

THE WAY I SEE IT. A DINGY IS A BOAT. if you are going to use it at night buy the running and stern light required by most small boats and use them. you are the one in the dingy that the other bigger boat will be running over because you chose to use some lighting that the idiot in the big boat is not use to seeing. don't use a flash light and shine it in his eyes and expect him to see that it is coming from you in your dingy.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-09-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

except for two years where I lived in Pa, I have been at the shore all my life and around boats for most of that time. With how I see most boaters operate, they would be lucky I do not have a dink lit up like Close encounters of the 3rd kind. I simply do not trust anybody out on the water
chef2sail and Bene505 like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-09-2013

You know where boats can legally run on plane and where they can't. You know you are legally requied to have lights after sunset. So......you tell me if it is a good idea to be in an area with a lot of boats coming and going on plane after dark in a black boat with no lights?
chef2sail likes this.

Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I agree with chef2sail/Dave here. Minniwaska, seems you're so caught up in your desire to prove you were right and the dude shining the light all over the place was wrong you are doing a fine job of making yourself sound like a complete moron IMO.

I am done debating the stupidity of this whole argument with you, it is just so freaking frustrating when a poster as active as you post something so ridiculous (IMO).
Needless to say, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I don't recall calling anyone here names.

Just to be abundantly clear, the boater that set me off on this was shining up every single thing in the harbor: moored boats, mooring balls, nav aids, etc.

It would have made no difference if I had running lights, everything was being painted, therefore, ruining everyone's night vision. That was the point of this thread. If you find it ridiculous and me a moron, so be it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

As a slight thread drift, I also checked the transient dock again for evidence of PFDs. I didn't do an exact count this time, but there are several dozen dinghies. Giving credit for any bag or compartment that might be capable of carrying a PFD as having one inside, I would say about half do.

This I find substantially more important than using running lights on a clear night in a lit harbor.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
PFD in dingy

We don't store our mustang pfd in a bag in the dinghy, we wear them while aboard. A dinghy flipping or swamping would happen to quickly.

We always have a traveling bag we take with ashore and they are small and lightweight enough to carry with us. Not leaving PFD costing a couple hundred apiece for someone to take when we aren't present.

Using the argument you don't see the pfds when walking the dock so people don't have them or use them is not a good observation to draw the conclusions you reached imho.

It's my observation that a great percentage of people wear their pfds when operating their dinghy. Certainly at night in a dark harbor with cold water in Edgartown wearing a pfd in a dinghy not just having it stored aboard would seem the prudent safe thing to do.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-09-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Capta, the lights regulations are International - not US. And, those regulations have been around for more than a century. Guess you just have been very fortunate in that someone has not run over your dink in the middle of the night, or someone in another country just don't care if you get run over and die.
Good Luck,
Gary
As I said originally, I would love to have a proper set of running lights for a tiller operated inflatable.
Of course the rules are international, I'm not an idiot, but if those legal lights destroy MY visibility then they are of no use to ME!
I would much rather run dark with excellent visibility than be lit legally and be running blind.
So the intelligent option is to run red/green bow and a white stern as a sailboat does, giving the operator good visibility and other boats a pretty good idea of where you are and where you are heading, legal or not.
What is wrong with that? I hope YOUR choice is not to run blind, legally.
Old 07-09-2013

The lights I linked to a bit earlier do as you say, they do not shine IN the boat. I have the white one velcroed on the back side of the engine. I've got a construction project going with PVC piple and waterproof LED strips, but for now the $15 lights do the job.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.